View Full Version : OK, I am about to switch school, is it a good idea?

11th Aug 2008, 14:14

In May or June I don't remember, I had posted here complaining that I wasn't flying enough. I started a Integrated Commercial Course the 05th of May which is supposed to take me from zero to CPL, Multi, Instru in 9 to 12 month.

I am entering my 4th month and I have only flown 25h! I passed my TC PPL exam.
I had talked with the program manager in June and told him that I needed to fly more and he had told me that they were getting more planes and instructors, etc...

But what do you think? 4 month and 25 h?

I have found a school in Montreal where lots of my friends been flying and they told me I can fly everyday as much as I want as long as the weather is good.

I have a friend who started here in January, and he still doesn't have his PPL. It's not that he is bad, or that I am bad. We are both excellent students with good flying skills.

Here, they always say "it's because of the weather", but for 3 month, the weather has not always been bad. And when there was sunny days, we didn't catch up the lost flying time.

I've put money settling in this town, with an appartment, living expenses, and now I have to go.

What would you do if you were me? give it another try or leave?

Thanks for any advice.

11th Aug 2008, 14:45
I was in the same situation (but different school – in UK) I was flying not enough, and I decided to change the school. It was the best decision I could possibly made. In new school I told my instructor when I want and can fly, and he only check the weather and say yes or no. To fly first 11 h in my flying career it takes me 3 months, than I changed school, and I’ve done 34 h and Night Rating in another 3 months !
Disadvantage is that instructor in your news school will have to ‘check you’ so you may have to fly 1 or 2 hours more than you have to.

If I were you I would change school, and if you can – fly more.
Now, after 10 months since I started my PPL I have 65 hours in my logbook J
Go for IT!


11th Aug 2008, 14:48
fungi thank you so much for sharing your experience.
I'm here waking up at 4 am as I can't sleep, it's a hard decision to make.
Thanks a lot!

11th Aug 2008, 15:08
Hi Jumbo, if I recall correctly, you were going to give this school their last chance a couple of months ago. Well, they've had it and things haven't improved so to stay now would be throwing good money after bad.

I think the time has come to cut your losses and switch school. I appreciate it'll be an upheaval but, it's mid-August now and the weather is going to get any better!

Best of luck and make sure you're going to jump in the frying pan from the fire!



11th Aug 2008, 15:24
whirlygig, thanks for remembering my story ;)
I think you are right, I'm going to leave this week.
Thanks again !

12th Aug 2008, 01:02
Be sure to let us know how you settle into your new school.


12th Aug 2008, 01:36
sure Jazz, thanks so much.

So this morning I went, I said bye to the program manager, and my Instructor. It was a emotional moment, I liked my instructor so much, we shook hands, took pictures, the program manager told me if I need anything in the future then I should let him know, like references, contacts in airlines. It's a shame it didn't work out as I wanted to. I liked the people there. I'll never forget them especially my instructor.

Thanks all for your support, now I'm going to switch from a brand new Diamon Eclipse to a 1968 C150 lol.

Thanks :ok:

12th Aug 2008, 10:07
Glad it went smoothly and that there were no hard feelings either way.

switch from a brand new Diamon Eclipse to a 1968 C150
Character building!!!! :ok: :}



12th Aug 2008, 12:34
You'll learn a lot more in a 150 than in the Diamond

12th Aug 2008, 13:58
Character building!!!! :ok: :}

haha, we'll see!

You'll learn a lot more in a 150 than in the Diamond

lol, yes, that's what I've been told. Thanks!

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1