PDA

View Full Version : Aggravating wide colums...grrrrrrr.

Bear Cub
5th Feb 2001, 09:02
Off I go to click the start button in Windows ME.

Menu pops up.....move up to "programmes" and all the recently used programme names pop out.

Go click the arrow (or wait a few seconds) and ALL the available programme names pop out.

Trouble is, the number of programmes on the disk don't all fit in the screen. They are listed into three colums - plus the start button pop up menu....but the right hand column barely shows its left hand edge with a few characters of the programme title in view.

There appears to be no way to navigate into this column to see all the names - sure I can mouse over them and wait for a window to appear...but that can't be the only way...can it?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

ExSimGuy
5th Feb 2001, 10:34
mmm . . . I think that's why I'm sticking with WinDoze 98 :)

----------------------
but only give the bears .22s ;)

matelot
5th Feb 2001, 12:33
Bear Cub,

ME only displays the most recently used progs/items etc., and then only a few (it's supposed to be the response to public demand!)

Virtually everything that appears on the drop-downs/menu is a shortcut, so can be deleted without problem.

Try thinning them out - right click the taskbar, select properties, then advanced.

Sounds to me like you may have endless progs installed, and all have left their mark in the menus.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

------------------
Me, sweat? I'm that cool, it's condensation.

Bear Cub
5th Feb 2001, 16:53
Don't get me wrong here. It is doing what it is meant to do - and I'm sure W98 did the same thing...but not with the same problem.

When I click for the start menu, I get the pop up menu - which is, say a display size of approx two and a half inches wide (on my fifteen inch monitor - which has a viewing width of eleven and a half inches).

Start loading software into the machine and it lists them all up in a column that is about three and three quarter inches wide. This column can accept twenty nine programme titles.

Programme thirty will generate a second column for listing. Once you get to fifty eight programmes, you then have two full columns and the start menu...a total of some nine and three quarter inches.

Load software disc number fifty nine and you now get column three - which is the same three and three quarter inches wide....but you can only see the first half inch or so of it....and much of that is taken up by an icon.

I somehow need to shrink the width of the columns.

Answers on a postcard?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!

matelot
5th Feb 2001, 17:51
Right click the taskbar at the bottom (NOT Start) - select properties - tick Show small icons in Start menu. That'll thin out the columns.

But still get rid of shortcuts, then they won't spread across the screen.

Should work.

------------------
Me, sweat? I'm that cool, it's condensation.

Bear Cub
5th Feb 2001, 20:06
Dare not even contemplate how wide they would have been if I hadn't already clicked the gimme small icons button....but thanks for trying.

------------------
Hunting is bad!!

SR-71
5th Feb 2001, 21:37
Think I have asolution for U Bear Cub. Don't show small icons or delete anything as U'll probably regret deleting something sooner or later. Do as Matelot says & right click the toolbar. Go to properties then advanced. Now what U want 2 do is catagorize. I suggest something like Applications, Utilities, Misc, Graphics, Sound/Music Etc. I hope this helps U & if U know how to make my modem more stable I'd B gratefull. ICQ me evenings (GMT).

Give 'em an inch and they'll take a foot. B4 U know it you haven't a leg to stand on :)

------------------
ICQ# 91029795

[This message has been edited by SR-71 (edited 05 February 2001).]

WX Man
6th Feb 2001, 13:05
BC,

What I'd do is separate your programmes into things like 'Word Processing', and 'Games' (etc., etc.). That way you will essentially have less in each menu.

N.

Bear Cub
6th Feb 2001, 16:50
....or should it be "Very useful stuff", "Stolen Stuff", "Might use this one day stuff" and "Why the hell haven't I deleted this stuff"

------------------
Hunting is bad!!

SR-71
9th Feb 2001, 02:06
As long as the Bears can have British SA-80's as these almost never work in the field.

Hunting is bad, especially if they're hunting me!

------------------
ICQ# 91029795

Bear Cub
9th Feb 2001, 03:17
SR....animals rarely hunt people...but they deserve the right to defend themselves....even a British rifle would make a good club!!!

------------------
Hunting is bad!!

Lurk R
9th Feb 2001, 05:27
From memory there is a setting somewhere (tweaking the registry unfortunately though I think) which allows all the programs to exist in the one column with a scroll function at top and bottom. Would that help?

Ausatco
9th Feb 2001, 08:55
Lurk R,

I have Win98SE and my start menu is single column with a scroll arrow top and bottom. I would like the option of columns. If you could find a reference I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

AA

SR-71
9th Feb 2001, 21:17
Bear Cub,
What do you mean "even a British Rifle". I'm well against hunting dum animals but please don't diss the Brits. Would I knock the Yanks. Oh, all right, I probably would.

Give 'em an inch & they take a foot. Much more than that and you haven't a leg to stand on.

------------------
ICQ# 91029795

Bear Cub
10th Feb 2001, 01:14
SR-71....I am a Brit...and it was YOU that first wrote...."As long as the Bears can have British SA-80's as these almost never work in the field"

------------------
Hunting is bad!!