PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen peroxide in yer lug'ole

winglit
11th Aug 2008, 02:57
There was me thinking that there was only one use for hydrogen peroxide, turning girls blonde. Although I've never had the courage to ask a blonde if she had matching collar and cuffs.:ouch:

I'd been suffering from a persistent earache that would only go away with paracetamol, until I mentioned it to a friend of neighbour who's a retired nurse. I'm not one for going to the doctors unless I'm really ill, I usually wait for my body to fix itself which has done quite well in it's 38 years. So my nurse neighbour suggested that I put in a few drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide and let it fizz away.

Before doing so, I did a bit of googling and found out that there is a new theory that people can catch colds and flus through the ears. As the ear is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and other nasties, being warm and moist. A treatment of H2O2 will kill the nasties and stop your cold from advancing, if you catch it at the first symptoms.

So I went out and bought myself some. Put some in my ear. A very strange sensation indeed! After a couple of minutes the fizzing had died down, I tipped my head and emptied my ear into a towel to find a lump of wax the size of a peanut! Instant pain relief...AND EVERYTHING IS MUCH LOUDER!

By the way if you do happen to get a peanut stuck in your ear, pour in melted chocolate and it will come out a treat:ok:

Howard Hughes
11th Aug 2008, 04:24
Nut's in your ear does that make you a?
No better not go there...;)

411A
11th Aug 2008, 04:46
H2O2 is also very handy if your dog or cat does the nasty on the lounge carpet.
Takes the stain right out.

Krystal n chips
11th Aug 2008, 05:44
Now why would you wish to put a substance in your ear that requires you to wear a rubber suit...? :E

Vulcans in Camera - Avro Vulcan B2 BS XM570, XM571 - Servicing a Blue Steel missile. (http://www.avrovulcan.org.uk/1_group_presentation/570571bs.htm)

Impress to inflate
11th Aug 2008, 05:54
I worked as a dive tech in north diving operations.

We used to give the divers that spent 28 days in a saturation chamber a chemical similar to hydrogen peroxide. They put a drop a day in each ear to stop fungal growth as the human ear was very prone to infection due to the high humidity, warm temps and high O2 partial pressure so I guess there's a lot of logic in what you say.

arcniz
11th Aug 2008, 06:16
Salt water - a teaspoon of salt to 4oz water (very salty) or 8oz water (normal saltiness of blood, seawater, etc) is good for ear cleansing.. kills most of the things that might want to live there and gradually dissolves ear-wax also./. especially if slightly warm.

Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) may work as advertised above, but is strong magic for ordinary purposes. A more dilute peroxide solution, perhaps one part H2O2 in ten parts saline, as described above, might be more judicious.

Peroxide is strong magic. When your immune system wants to kill cells internally, it often does so with antibodies that manufacture peroxide as the killing agent. A major purpose of "antioxidants" is to soak up stray peroxide molecules before they can zap healthy cells. Peroxide is tough stuff!

One's eardrum is a thin bit of flesh that deserves very gentle treatment. Contact with full-strength (3%) peroxide for any duration or repeated often would likely dry the eardrum tissues and have a "sunburn' sort of effect that could be both painful and disruptive to hearing. The 10x diluted solution would be less likely to do so.

I am not a doctor. The perspective presented above comes from years of perusing medical texts and reading research papers in order to deal with my own "problem" ears.

BlueWolf
11th Aug 2008, 06:31
Powerful magic indeed, used to get it in 50ml bottles at 30% for lab use in the winery; diluted to 0.3% I used it daily in sulphur dioxide analysis, and kept it in the fridge in between times.

Straight, it cleaned out the drains like nothing else, God alone knows what it was doing further down the line :uhoh:

There are whole websites devoted to its theraputic value. Most of them stress external use only, which seems to make sense. Didn't they use it as a submarine fuel as well?

tony draper
11th Aug 2008, 06:36
Indeed they did, it also got the Doodlebugs all the way from Peenamund to London,a few crystals of potassium permanganate shook into the earole before applying yer Hydrogen Peroxide would steam clean em.
err dont try that at home.
:uhoh:

Tolsti
11th Aug 2008, 08:00
If you get your ears cleaned in a barbers in BKK one of the parts to the procedure is a swab dipped in Hydrogen Peroxide being inserted and wiped around. Very strange sensation!!

henry crun
11th Aug 2008, 08:47
Not so Drapes, the Doodlebug pulse jet engine used an ordinary low grade petrol as fuel.

Maybe you are thinking of the Me163 rocket motor which used a very high percentage hydrogen peroxide which they called T-Stoff, and this was mixed with C-Stoff to ignite spontaneously.

tony draper
11th Aug 2008, 10:11
Correct Mr Crun one was just testing yers.;)

west lakes
11th Aug 2008, 10:22
Perhaps the good captain D was thinking of this as well: -

British Submarines of World War Two - Post War Developments (http://home.cogeco.ca/~gchalcraft/sm/postwar.html)

About half way down the page.

The Germans had, once again, led the way, using what was known as the Walter engine. The first Walter submarine, V80, was tested in 1940. Results were encouraging and she was followed by other experimental types but the first operational Walter boats (Type XXVI-W) were still under construction at the end of the war. The Walter concept had been under study in Germany since 1939. It was based on a single system for surface and underwater propulsion, the Walter turbine. The oxygen necessary for combustion, was provided by the spontaneous decomposition of hydrogen peroxide in the presence of permanganate of lime. This breakdown into oxygen and water vapour enabled any fuel to be burned. The Germans used sulphur-free synthetic diesel oil (does that ring a bell?) to avoid corrosion of the closed-cycle machinery. In pursuit of their single propulsion gear, the Germans also studied a type of closed-cycle diesel engine fuelled by oxygen, highly pressurised in steel containers. It never passed the experimental stage but it would have been fitted in the Type XVII-K and other developing types.

Further on it mentions and has has photos of HMS Meteorite HMS Explorer & HMS Excalibur that were the experimental RN boats

tony draper
11th Aug 2008, 10:38
Twere also used to propel torpedoes but were a tad finicky sinking one of our subs and also the Kusk?
Nasty stuff
One understands ME262 pilots were more afraid of the huge tank of the stuff right behind their driving seats than than they were of Spitfires or Mustangs.

Gainesy
11th Aug 2008, 10:53
Contact lens cleaning fluid is 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, probably easier to get than asking for a bottle of HP, no, not the bloody sauce you eejit...:)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
11th Aug 2008, 11:13
Mr D, Sir. Perhaps you were remembering Hydrogen Peroxide's contribution to the V2 programme; using it with Sodium Permanganate to steam drive the pumps for the Alcohol/LOX propulsion motor.

Are we still allowed to buy it since the terrs made mischief with it?

corsair
11th Aug 2008, 11:13
Why not simply buy ear drops in the chemist? Some of them actually used Hydrogen Peroxide. Far less complicated. Other than that a simple ear maintenance routine of warm soapy water squirted in using one of those rubber balls designed for the purpose or simply a water pistol. Better not to use a 'realistic' looking water pistol. The wife might die of shock if she walks in to find you standing at the sink with a gun to your head.:):eek:

Gainesy
11th Aug 2008, 11:24
More likely check the small print on the insuarance policy...:)

tony draper
11th Aug 2008, 11:59
Don't do that in the garden.
"Armed Police!! stand still !!,take the gun away from your head or you will be shot"
:rolleyes:

frostbite
11th Aug 2008, 12:05
I once tried that stuff much advertised on 't box (Otex?).

Had more trouble since than I had before.

603DX
11th Aug 2008, 12:28
corsair:

After reading your post I had a look in my medicine cabinet at the ear drops box. No hydrogen peroxide listed under active or other constituents, but two long names intrigued me, so I looked them up.

One of them is apparently used in mothballs, the other is an insecticide! So that's reassuring then, no need to worry about moths or midges getting in there.

The rubber ball you mention is called a "rat-tail syringe" apparently, so no need to fear rodent infestation, either. These things are good to know .......

tony draper
11th Aug 2008, 12:35
Likewise with that OTEX stuff,bunged some in me lugs one night woke up next morning almost totaly deef,very strange feeling, scurried up to quacks and nice nursey done we earholes wi a ultra sonic thingy and they were fine.

gas path
11th Aug 2008, 13:34
BAH! Wimps..............I just use a hairgrip and rake it out:suspect::}:}

Standard Noise
11th Aug 2008, 13:48
Why not just combine the need for personal transport with the need for sparkly clean lugholes.
Rattling along in the Disco on Friday with the Mrs when I felt something in my ear, gave the head a shake and a lump of wax fell out of my right listening flap.

What can I say, Land Rover, the best 4 x ear cleaner x far!

G-CPTN
11th Aug 2008, 18:40
I have a difference in attenuation (is that the right word?) between left and right listening devices. I asked the GP for a sluice-out, but he looked using a light and announced that there was no need.
This means a more serious deficiency than just wax . . .

airship
11th Aug 2008, 19:02
Now hear me out. I was musing along the lines that we might yet see a 1930s style depression in the next few years. Which would I imagine, convince a lot more non-blondes into going blonde (something to do with eggs, bacon and the black economy). In that case, would it be practical to recuperate the rinse water from hairdressers for nothing, allow it to evaporate in the sun and then inject it in peoples' ears 'in order to improve their hearing'. After which, the wax one recuperated could be made into candles for all those who could no longer afford the electricity suppliers' tariffs...?! Whatever, it all sounds very ecological, if not entirely logical!

tony draper
11th Aug 2008, 19:17
One was given to understand ear wax's function is to stop critters crawling therein and building nests and such,SIL told me of trick they learned int olden days in the Brownies whilst camping, in order to prevent earwigs who are apparently immune to ear wax setting up home in one's nogging they were instructed to wear their knickers over their heads whilst kipping in their tents.
:rolleyes:

CityofFlight
11th Aug 2008, 19:17
Airship, this topic was bad enough, but that sounds fairly disgusting. :yuk:

People, whatever you do...let's not start a thread on colon cleansing next!

Sallyann1234
11th Aug 2008, 19:41
in order to prevent earwigs who are apparently immune to ear wax setting up home in one's nogging they were instructed to wear their knickers over their heads

Surely that would leave them vulnerable to penetration elsewhere :E

airship
11th Aug 2008, 19:53
Airship, this topic was bad enough, but that sounds fairly disgusting. CityofFlight, what don't you like about being a human-being? Is it having a colon, ear-wax or going blonde...?! ;)

Tolsti
11th Aug 2008, 20:02
You're going to hate me for this........

*****VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED....ABSOLUTELY

External Canal Ear Maggots Video - Kevin Kavanagh (http://www.entusa.com/ear_maggots.htm)

CityofFlight
11th Aug 2008, 20:04
Airship, I love everything about being a human. Just today, in fact, I read a post of yours and the next thing I knew my ears were ringing and my colon spasmed. Just didn't think anyone would want to read all the details.

But that's just me, being the loud, yank that I am. :}:p

;)

airship
11th Aug 2008, 20:14
So you're not upset with me anymore (I hope)...?! :)

PS. ...the next thing I knew my ears were ringing and my colon spasmed. That happened to me once. Some Caribbean condiment was involved. My fellow diners advised against swallowing a whole teaspoonfull of it, but I said, I was brought up in the far east, I've been eating chilli pickles since I was able to stand up... :O

S'land
11th Aug 2008, 20:15
My Father was prescribed Hydrogen Peroxide when he was in the Army in India before WWII. He continued to use it for the rest of his life. As soon as his ears started to wax up he would put a couple of drops of the stuff in his ears. He never suffered from any side effects. The only time he ever had a problem with his hearing was when I was a child and asked for an increase in pocket money. On those days he was stone deaf.

selfloadingcargo
11th Aug 2008, 21:39
would it be practical to recuperate the rinse water from hairdressers for nothing, allow it to evaporate in the sun and then inject it in peoples' ears 'in order to improve their hearing'

...even allowing that one might want to recover, rather than 'recuperate', the water, the short answer is 'no'.

Once you evaporated all the water any remaining peroxide would be very concentrated and unstable (and definitely not something you would want to inject into your ears) - assuming, that is, that it had not already broken down into oxygen and water from reacting with either the melanin in the hair, and/or other organic materials and/or exposure to light (which it almost certainly would have done).

BlueDiamond
12th Aug 2008, 01:35
... wear their knickers over their heads ...
Did they have to say "Wibble" as well? http://209.85.12.227/12099/121/emo/PMSL.gif

fitliker
12th Aug 2008, 04:03
Olive oil works great for infections and cleaning,anti-fungal as well ,never seen mushrooms in a bottle of olive oil .Although it will go cloudy after a couple of years .