PDA

View Full Version : The Ugly Australian Passenger

blackguard
11th Aug 2008, 02:45
Years ago it was the "Ugly American"..loud rude selfish and inconsiderate.
The ugly American has been replaced by...The Fat Ugly Australian.
The FUA started to appear in numbers about 10 years.Those that never flown or couldnt afford to now had the means to take a trip OS.
The Bronzed Aussie is now a myth.Australians are now officially the fattest on the planet.
It would seem that as a persons waist expands their manners shrink.
The behaviour on an aircraft of the FUA is appalling...clicking of fingers.dog whistling and Oi have become commonplace.
The consumption of free booze has escalated and requires a tight rein and close monitoring.Cut the aircraft booze off and they start drinking their own.
Cleaning up alcohol induced vomit happened maybe once or twice every third flight.
It can be now three times a flight.
This is particularly so when flying to destinations that the FUAs prefer.
Honolulu...the new Bali
Japan when the Snow is falling
London all year round
LAX when airfares are really cheap.
Manilla ...looking for brides
Swearing at small crying children.
A male?
No... a middle aged FUA with a girth the size of a 100 year old oak tree
FUA women seem to be the worst.
The Whinging Pom has nothing on the FUA
The biggest complaint?
The seats are too effing small.
Of course they are small when you weigh 100kgs and are 170cms tall

Gnadenburg
11th Aug 2008, 03:36
Nice effort mate but-

1. France
2. India
3. China
4. Russia
5. Britain

Have been rated the worst tourists based on behaviour, spending and levels of obnoxiousness.

I would rate the Israelis up there. They are hated the world over and this has nothing to do with anti-semitism.

To the French tourist who tried to cut me off whilst carrying my infant daughter the other day; too bad so sad you had your feet tapped from under you and yo went flat on your face. :ok:

Howard Hughes
11th Aug 2008, 03:45
You ain't seen nothin yet!

At the moment we keep most of our really fugly passengers at home, just wait until V Oz start flying across the Pacific, then we will show you FUGLY!;)

PS: I would say the yanks are still the LOUDEST!:eek:

A. Le Rhone
11th Aug 2008, 05:32
Yes would have to agree the ugly Aussie is a real worry. Fat, foul-mouthed yobbos. The yanks were bad but all the Osama stuff has sedated them a little. Pommy football fans are shite too but I'd prefer them to Noelene from Sylvania Waters any day.

What is it they call Jet* Business class now: CUB-class: Cashed-up bogans. Like a flock of Shane Warnes with mullets. - people for whom the tact and discretion gene was missing at birth.

Yes Gnad I would agree too, without the confusion of anti-semitism, the Israelis can make appalling, demanding and rude passengers. Usually a few chants of "Allah Akbah" on the PA fixes things though.

lgsto
11th Aug 2008, 06:09
Would have to agree, it is not just Aussie tourists, but Aussie airline commuters in general. With the media spotlight on recent technical difficulties involving Q, VB & J*, the reaction from angry commuters has been amusing. Besides the O2 bottle incident, al the remaining incidents are part of everyday operations. They don't seem to get the drift, aircraft are a complex piece of machinery, sometimes engines will not start etc, and there will be delays caused that cannot be avoided. In the other words, sometimes, sh!t just happens.:}

Bus429
11th Aug 2008, 06:35
This is my sort of thread...
I've always considered we Brits to be fairly obnoxious, particularly when travelling. We sort of set the trend and the rest follow.:ok:
What is it they call Jet* Business class now: CUB-class: Cashed-up bogans. Like a flock of Shane Warnes with mullets. - people for whom the tact and discretion gene was missing at birth.
Yep, saw it the other day in Business Class of a certain ME carrier last week. When will these people learn that one only travels Business Class when someone else is paying?

Another quick point: I know POMs are considered whingers but IMHO I hear quite a few Aussies and Kiwis emulating us.

CityofFlight
11th Aug 2008, 06:59
Oh, shut up Howard!

:p:p Sorry, couldn't resist.

Howard Hughes
11th Aug 2008, 07:20
Told ya...;)

Impress to inflate
11th Aug 2008, 07:24
I have spoken to many many cabin crew members about this. One of whom used to get cold sweats about doing the Florida run. A lot say that the new rich from Russia are a right royal pain in the a%se. Another one hated to do the Indian run, more finger clicking than a country and western concert and "Walker Jonny, no ice" all flight.

But the worst I've met are the semi-celeb who think that every one knows/loves them.

Brian Abraham
11th Aug 2008, 07:37
Honolulu...the new Bali
Sorry, you're a bit late blackguard. Had a holiday with spouse in Honolulu in 1982 on way home from sim in USA and told by a local "don't let any one know you're an Aussie, not well liked in these parts" (not that the accent wouldn't give me away). The place was over run with Japanese at the time so the Oz party/drinking/brawling habits were thrown into sharp contrast. The most obnoxious/drunk/loud pax I've personally seen was a US white male in first class at the gate in LAX.

tony draper
11th Aug 2008, 07:40
I've come to the conclusion that all humans born after 1975 are complete aresoles and should all be killed.
:)

galaxy flyer
11th Aug 2008, 07:52
Drapes, you are excluding an AWFUL lot of bad actors with that date!!:ooh:

Wod
11th Aug 2008, 09:10
Whilst I'm sympathetic to Mr Draper's view (my youngest was born in'72), I think we're all missing the essential point here. The ongoing decline of the USA.

Time was when all extremes of good and bad were to be found somewhere between Canada and Mexico. No more! The world resolutely refuses to collapse into economic despair when the USA has a Fannie Mac attack, but now they are running way down the list of despicable tourists.

Whatever next - once was Film Capital of the World?

Come on Aussie come on!!:D

Taildragger67
11th Aug 2008, 12:07
Sorry City,

But Howard's right.

Here in London, down in the bowels of the earth on the tube (pron. 'tyoob'), the locals all sit quietly, the Aussies, French, etc. all chatter to each other but you can't hear them more than one or two people away, but not irregularly, I'll hear a Seppo voice, sometimes even from the other end of the carriage. And that is not only above the din of a Piccadilly Line train travelling between Green Park and Hyde Park Corner, but also beyond the tangle of Spanish schoolkids in the door area half-way between me and said Seppo, who clearly wants everyone to know how faaaabulous Buckingham Palace is and how she just lurves "riding the toob"... :rolleyes:

Brits in any Mediterranean sea-side destination in summer - :yuk:.

One lot left off the list was the Koreans - I think they are just regarded by everyone else as pretty rude simply because there seem to be no words for 'please' or 'thank you' in their language. A crew of them singing 'Kum Bay Yah' in full voice at 3am on top of Mt Sinai a couple of years ago nearly brought WW3 down upon them but I just put that down to ignorance of anyone else being around them.

All nationalities have their good points, and bad. But get a couple of drinks into anyone and they're suddenly your best mate!

Ancient Mariner
11th Aug 2008, 14:13
Although I had an inkling, I was wondering about the term "seppo".
Seppo
Derogertory word used by the English and Australians for all American nationals. Derived from Rhyming slang (Septic Tank = Yank)
Will those stupid seppos ever shut up bragging about how much lemonade they can drink?

Now I know.
Per

CaptKremin
11th Aug 2008, 17:53
Nice effort mate but-

1. France
2. India
3. China
4. Russia
5. Britain

Have been rated the worst tourists based on behaviour, spending and levels of obnoxiousness.

I would rate the Israelis up there. They are hated the world over and this has nothing to do with anti-semitism.

I own a little holiday apartment in France, which I let out in summer time.
I get lots of Brits, and they have always been a total pleasure to deal with. Never a moments strife from any of them.

In fact, I've only ever once had a mildly troublesome git...and he was....A Frickin' Aussie.

The French are just a law unto themselves. Painfully formal, and tied up in red tape. They tend to stick to their own for rentals thank goodness.

Fantome
11th Aug 2008, 23:23
The biggest complaint?
The seats are too effing small.
Of course they are small when you weigh 100kgs and are 170cms tall

And that, dear Sir, is a valid complaint, regardless of one's breeding, and is of course just one of the trials of traveling steerage. When cramped up and pissed off it can help to think of the days of sail and six months shoe horned between decks.

BlueDiamond
12th Aug 2008, 02:42
Aircraft seats are too small for anyone over the age of ten. Flew from Melbourne to Perth once on the same flight as the Eagles (a local football team) ... big lads, all of them ... all looking desperately uncomfortable with their knees jammed up against the seats in front and absolutely no shoulder room at all. Even a relatively small adult will not fit into a standard aircraft seat with any degree of comfort.

Howard Hughes
12th Aug 2008, 03:47
I know what you mean Bluey, many years ago I travelled to Singapore with QF and on board were the Russian (USSR) Basketball team, three of them were over 7' with one as tall as 7' 6" and the smallest about 6' 6". Even though the QF staff were wonderful and organised evryone an exit row/bulkhead seat, I have never seen people look so uncomfortable on an aircraft.

Buster Hyman
12th Aug 2008, 03:55
I have never seen people look so uncomfortable on an aircraft.
Have you seen some of the Qantas pilots recently???:ooh:

tinpis
12th Aug 2008, 05:07
82% of Americans dont have passports.
They can however arrive in large numbers with guns :hmm:

Krystal n chips
12th Aug 2008, 05:29
Alas, despite the best efforts of our colonial brethern to upstage us, the Great British slob is still truly "World Class" it seems ......:yuk:

Alcohol linked to rise in British arrests abroad | UK news | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/aug/12/britishidentity.internationalcrime)

For those of the species who do not venture abroad, the UK offers plenty of opportunities to disport themselves as seen this week end at Cambridge Services on the A14 for example....let's see. if we park here and open both doors...we can block 3 parking spaces!...or..we can use somebody else's car as a ....table !.....or...we can stand ( not form a queue please note ) collectively and shout loudly to the rest of the family / it's mate "wot yer want !" at the food counter.....the recipient(s) being located about 20yds away......or..we can all walk together and block others getting past.

And a special mention to the :mad:caravan towing t$%t on the A1120 who added about 45 mins to my journey to Southwold....by virtue of travelling at about 10mph from the A14.....queue a mile long behind it !!!!.....but it did have it 's "Caravan Club" stickers all over the van of course.

CityofFlight
12th Aug 2008, 05:49
:DWell, I'll be darned, Krystal...thanks for that. I know it will be disproven quickly by other posters, but for this one moment....:ok::ok:

cartexchange
12th Aug 2008, 06:17
I'm Aussie and I would have to say Australians CAN be the most obnoxious vermin when they have too much to drink or they don't get what they want!

The worse ones are the CUB (cashed up bogans) or the Aussie "businessman" yobbo in J/C what and ignorant piece of sh!t.

Bus429
12th Aug 2008, 07:31
Glad it is not just we Brits, then.:D
Krystal's post is the most telling: the yob/chav/oik tendency who consider their comfort and needs above all others. Do they know that they cause, at best, incovenience or do they not care?
I travelled on the train back from MAN on Friday after a trip to the UAE. As the train pulled in to Piccadilly, a crowd out to Blackpool descended on us. Out came the crisps (chips), Coke and other healthy comestibles; pushing and shoving, shouting and screaming. One bright moment however: as the train cleared the urban mess, one young lady (about 13) marvelled at the greenery and the fields: "...where are the horses? Oh, look, sheep!" I felt a little sorry for her; how often does she see fields? (Despite being a crowded country, there are a lot of green areas in the UK).

Rollingthunder
12th Aug 2008, 07:39
Maybe I don't get around as much as I think I do. Never have run into a flight behaviour problem or a train behaviour problem. Experienced a couple of transit bus problems here - had to literally throw someone off a bus after he threatened the bus driver (female). I was not going to stand for that in any shape or form, consequences be damned. There were no consequences, other than a thank you from the driver.

ORAC
12th Aug 2008, 07:51
Sorry, you're a bit late blackguard. Had a holiday with spouse in Honolulu in 1982 on way home from sim in USA and told by a local "don't let any one know you're an Aussie, not well liked in these parts" (not that the accent wouldn't give me away). Hard though it may be to believe, Americans cannot tell a British from an Australian accent. The number of times I was asked in LA and points west, "Are you Australian" was enough to bring me to despair....

Not as much, mind you, as the time I was told in a, supposedly, complimentary manner that, "you sure do speak good English for a foreigner"... :ugh::ugh:

max1
12th Aug 2008, 08:43
I reckon it must be the Yanks, I heard thousands were thrown out of aircraft over France in 1944.

frostbite
12th Aug 2008, 13:08
I once told a (very tasty) Kiwi girl that her accent sounded very similar to Australian.

The relationship didn't develop as I'd hoped.....

Taildragger67
12th Aug 2008, 16:15
ORAC,

The number of times I was asked in LA and points west, "Are you Australian" was enough to bring me to despair.... ... that you were not? Understandable.

Frostbite,

Silly boy. It's like her asking you if you were Welsh. Except when it comes to Aus vs NZ, the kiwis have bigger chips on their shoulders.

Hat, coat, door, etc.

pineridge
12th Aug 2008, 19:51
Rollingthunder said............

". Experienced a couple of transit bus problems here - had to literally throw someone off a bus after he threatened the bus driver"

You should have been on the Greyhound bus from Edmonton to Winnipeg last week; one of the passengers had a moment and stabbed a fellow passenger to death, cut off and ate his ears, cut out his eyes, disembowelled him, and beheaded him. The other passengers escaped and managed to lock the animal in the bus until the Mounties showed up.

Rollingthunder
12th Aug 2008, 19:57
Not sure how I would have handled that one. The attack came out of nowhere and the victim was probably dead in a few seconds. Reported to be a huge Rambo type knife.

I know I would have been thinking " Where's my gun?"

galaxy flyer
13th Aug 2008, 01:43
Rolling Thunder:

Please do not thread drift this into another "gun-toting, anti-US" slagging match, I couldn't take it. But an interesting comment after previous "gun-toting, anti-US" threads-seems when people get stabbed, guns become very politically needed.

Frostbite:

If she proved very tasty, I would say it developed very nicely, after all.

Very surprised no one has mentioned the Russians. They can be spotted by some interesting (curiously bad) behavior. I am not talking about the recent Georgian tourists from the North.

con-pilot
13th Aug 2008, 02:00
Well GF the Russian are listed as the fourth worse, just above Britain, in this post.

Nice effort mate but-

1. France
2. India
3. China
4. Russia
5. Britain

Sorry to anyone that may be offended by this statement, but the most obnoxious tourists I have every encountered in my travels around the world are Asians and Arabs. Pushy, loud and as I stated earlier, obnoxious.

Now, when it comes to children I have to say British, both girls and boys and Muslim boys.

Okay, hunkering down and ready for incoming. :uhoh:

Tree
13th Aug 2008, 04:45
Obviously you people have not yet experienced a tourist from Ontario, Canada.

Wiley
13th Aug 2008, 07:52
At the risk of being deemed politically incorrect, (it appears to be acceptable to criticise anyone with pink skin, but totally un-p.c. to do so if said person is even vaguely 'ethnic'), a special place in my heart (or should that be 'hate list') is reserved for Australian passengers of Lebanese extraction, (or, more accurately, from a particular part of Lebanon [and therefore, from a particular part of Sydney or Melbourne]) who seem to have refined to an extraordinary degree, the most disagreeable traits of both cultures. Can't think on another group, footballers and Brit holidaymakers included, who cause more problems and discomfort both for crews and the poor unfortunates unlucky enough to be sitting within ten rows of them.

Orangputi
13th Aug 2008, 08:36
Wiley I would have to totally agree, I was at Sydney Airport when a very nice chap from Royal Brunei Airlines (who is enthic Malay)was trying to explain to this complete moron of your ethnic description and scores of extended family that his baggage that was only 30kilos over the limit and would have to charge him excess.

It all started from there language was used that would make a bikie blush and then punched him in the face. The police was called straight away, however, in the interest of political correctness (or just reverse racism in the case) I heard that he got away with it?
I wonder how this would been handled if Anglo behaved like this?

pineridge
13th Aug 2008, 13:51
Tree said...........

"Obviously you people have not yet experienced a tourist from Ontario, Canada"

Ha Ha Ha.....you must be from Alberta.

haughtney1
13th Aug 2008, 17:30
Orac..
Hard though it may be to believe, Americans cannot tell a British from an Australian accent. The number of times I was asked in LA and points west, "Are you Australian" was enough to bring me to despair....

Not as much, mind you, as the time I was told in a, supposedly, complimentary manner that, "you sure do speak good English for a foreigner"...

Then you get Billy-Ray in the 7 eleven, or Tanisha in Tarjayyy saying things like..."sir, can you S-A-Y T-H-A-T A-G-A-I-N in english?" :ugh::ugh::ugh:
The response I usually give is..ok yeah I'll have the cheese on my fries:}

brickhistory
13th Aug 2008, 18:10
Then you get Billy-Ray in the 7 eleven, or Tanisha in Tarjayyy saying things like..."sir, can you S-A-Y T-H-A-T A-G-A-I-N in english?"

While agreeing with your point, I do have to ask, why, if his/her accent is atrocious and hard to understand, why isn't he/she justified in finding yours also difficult?

Would the Aussie/Brit counterpart of Billy Ray or Tanisha in the Empire version of a 7-11 also be a rocket scientist?

Regarding an earlier post between a Brit and and Aussie accent, what was the context? If it's in a sophisticated one, then fair enough. If it was in small town anywhere, then perhaps it is understandable. Then you get into the subsets of Brit - Welsh, English, Scots, even Irish (both kinds) to include the major groupings of it. Then into the way too many local dialects. Should the minimum wage example you gave know those as well on the off chance that one might come into the store?

Can you tell the difference between and Idahoan and a Washingtonian (state)?

A Texan from an Okie?

(just for an example, con. I know the difference. Usually two more teeth...)

edited to add: tinpis, 82% of Americans have no need of a passport. They can get to different locales, climates, social environments all without leaving the country. If we were a small country geographically, then you'd have a point. But, if one can get to someplace exotically different without the hassle of different currency, customs/immigration (except when driving from El Paso at 0200, but that's a different thread!), wouldn't you?

haughtney1
13th Aug 2008, 18:13
Brick..my tounge is firmly in my cheek....:p

The only problems I have had (as a Kiwi/with an Oz passport/and who lives in the UK)....
Is in Florida ;)

brickhistory
13th Aug 2008, 18:19
Is in Florida

Raht thar's yer pro'lim.

From the 'alternative life' of Key West, to the the Cuban/multi-Hispanic countries of Miami, not to mention Jamacians, Dom Reps, and New York refugees, to the rednecks and Mouse empire employees of central and panhandle Florida, to a fair number of others, Florida is its own 'unique' state.

And they don't 'count so good there' either, from what I hear.

:ok:

Um... lifting...
13th Aug 2008, 18:40
Now Brick-
As a FlO-Rid-ian... ah take exception.
Only place they don' count so good is down thar in Broward Canny, what's full o' New York folk. Hyar in cracker country we-un's got the finest beaches an' the best skyools in the whole dadgum stayut an' purely more military aircraft then anyplace south of the Masey-Dixie an' east of the Missy-pippy, mos'ly.
Far as pure distance... it's further (by road) from Key West to the Alabama line on I-10 than it is from Shreveport to El Paso. An' you know what they say 'bout drivin' through Texas... "the sun is riz, the sun is set, and you ain' got through Texas yet..." (course, I once owned me a car like that 'un too...) Look 'er up if'n y'all don' believe me.
Even Markin folk don' alwuz know how big Flor'da is... friend thought she'd pop down to Miami from Disney World for a day of shopping an' let me know this on the telephone... I axed her if'n she had any idea how fur that wuz.

brickhistory
13th Aug 2008, 19:42
friend thought she'd pop down to Miami from Disney World for a day of shopping an' let me know this on the telephone... I axed her if'n she had any idea how fur that wuz.

Odd, she didn't need a passport for the trip....

CityofFlight
13th Aug 2008, 20:11
No doubt, Brick. I keep expecting to hear that Miami is its own sovereignty.

When contacting many federal and state offices, (Social Security as one example) my retired mother had to be transferred to someone who spoke english! :ugh:

con-pilot
13th Aug 2008, 20:12
Odd, she didn't need a passport for the trip....

Yes, just because people in the UK and other countries of Europe had to have a passport to go to Coast of Spain every year for a three week holiday does not make them experienced travelers.

Also, I believe that the figure of 82% is a bit out of date. I latest figures I can find range from 27% to 35% Americans have passports and the number of passports being issued is rising rapidly since the change in the law now requiring passports to return to the US..

As Brick pointed out the vast majority of Americans really didn't/don't need passports. Before the law regarding international travel changed US citizens did not need a passport to travel to Canada, Mexico, most of the Caribbean and a few other countries. Fact is they really don't need a passport to go to those countries present day, they need them to get back into the US.

Tree
13th Aug 2008, 22:55
edited to add: tinpis, 82% of Americans have no need of a passport. They can get to different locales, climates, social environments all without leaving the country. If we were a small country geographically, then you'd have a point. But, if one can get to someplace exotically different without the hassle of different currency, customs/immigration (except when driving from El Paso at 0200, but that's a different thread!), wouldn't you?

Brick is right. America is a huge country with extremely diverse geography, climate, culture, dielect and cuisine. There are more differences between many of the lower 48 States than between countries in Europe. Try North Dakota one day and New Mexico the next! Add in Alaska and Hawaii to the mix and why the heck would you go anywhere else. It`s like a dozen countries in one and you don`t need a passport.

ExSp33db1rd
13th Aug 2008, 23:12
Con-Pilot # 46

.........they need them to get back into the US.

I wish the U.S.A.ers would travel ouside the U.S. of A.more often, then they might appreciate the sh.t we all have to put up with just to get into the damned place for a couple of days. I'm married to one, so I occasionally have to do it, unfortunately a U.S. passport allows you to by-pass most of the Immigration garbage, so I guess they wouldn't know anyway.

The last Imm. official told me the date, time, airline, and place where I had first entered the U.S. - in 1959 !!! It's all on the computer, so why do they photo. and fingerprint me like a criminal every time ? I'm sick of it, but unfortunately have to put up with it for family harmony, but ...... :E

con-pilot
13th Aug 2008, 23:37
The last Imm. official told me the date, time, airline, and place where I had first entered the U.S. - in 1959 !!! It's all on the computer, so why do they photo. and fingerprint me like a criminal every time ? I'm sick of it, but unfortunately have to put up with it for family harmony, but ......

I really do sympathize with you, sadly the PC crowd has banned profiling and all of us get very upset with all this nonsense. Just for an example of how bad it is even for us take the example of Joe Foss.

In case you do not know who Joe Foss is, allow me to give you some facts on him. Joe Foss was the recipient of Medal of Honor as a Marine Corps Fighter Pilot in World War Two, he was a retired Brigadier General and the former Governor of South Dakota. You can't get a better example of a patrotic American than General Joe Foss.

Now please read what happened to him.

snopes.com: Joseph J. Foss Medal of Honor (http://www.snopes.com/military/medal.asp)

haughtney1
14th Aug 2008, 00:05
Con, Im truly stunned...reading that damn near bought me to tears...:uhoh:

CityofFlight
14th Aug 2008, 00:15
Very sad story, indeed. But his philosophy about the whole experience is one to honor.

Howard Hughes
14th Aug 2008, 00:30
I was about to make yet another frivolous comment until I read Con's post, now I am just sitting here speechless...:eek:

Men like Joseph Foss should be allowed to carry whatever they like on to a flight IMHO. I have never seen a Congressional Medal of Honour but I am damn sure I would know one if I saw it, in fact I would treat it with so much respect I would be too scared to touch it!

ExSp33db1rd
14th Aug 2008, 00:36
Con-pilot.

Thank you for your sympathy, in all honesty I've never had any personal rancour with any U.S. official, it's the system that is so brainless. Last time I arrived in HNL at 11.00 pm the computers had broken down, 800 + were held in Imm. until 2.00 am, when "someone" telephoned Washington,the result was that "if the face matches the passport, let'em through" - so the whole Immigration / security fiasco was negated that night. At least it was - eventually - a commonsense decision.

Leaving HNL for the mainland I forgot to remove my Swiss Army Knife from my carry-on. Security allowed me to back-track Imm. and the airline - SouthWest/ATA - put my knife all by itself in a huge box and sent it freight ! Not many places that would happen.

As a young second officer in the 50's, a cop stopped me after, speeding, making an illegal U turn on Kalakua Ave. no lights, arm around girl friend, and suspicion of imbibing alcohol ! After viewing my "Limey" licence he suggested that I might like to pay $10 for speeding ! Bureacracy occasionally has a sense of humour. Nio real complaints with the U.S. !
( except Iraq ! )

Don't start me on exeriences in the Dark Half of the World tho !

P.s. Did read the Joe Foss article - disgraceful, thanx.

con-pilot
14th Aug 2008, 00:44
The rank and file of the entire United States Marine Corps, active duty and retired, were planing to invade the Phoenix Airline terminal after this story got out, but Joe told them not to. ;)

Sadly Joe Foss died a few years ago. From what I understand he never had any problems what-so-ever going through any TSA check point after this incident.

Um... lifting...
14th Aug 2008, 03:51
Well... things maybe have changed since the 50's... there isn't much of Kalakaua Avenue that isn't one-way these days. So much to see... why in the world would you speed, anyway? Honolulu cops not so bad.

It is indeed the system that's screwed up. Once flying back from overseas, missed a connection so needed numerous re-bookings to get home. Was given 'special attention' by TSA the entire trip (weather necessitated breaks between legs). At one point, exasperated, asked the TSA fellow... "I wore the uniform of this country for 25 years, and I've been patted down three times in 24 hours... don't you think something is wrong with your system?"

ExSp33db1rd
14th Aug 2008, 07:37
Um.....lifting

2.00 am leaving Duke Kahanamoku's in the Internatinal Market Place, and being just about the only car on the road - apart from the Sheriff - just a tad over 25 mph isn't REALLY speeding - have you NEVER !

Another HNL cop stopped me for riding a motor bike at night without ' eye protectors ' - goggles in my language. Told him I didn't know it was a law, but was wearing a helmet, which wasn't, and still isn't, and had been wearing sunglasses during the day, but couldn't see at night with them !

He suggested various lanes and back alleys to get me back to the hotel before any of his mates saw me ! :ok:

Captain Stable
14th Aug 2008, 14:43
tinpis, 82% of Americans have no need of a passport. They can get to different locales, climates, social environments all without leaving the country.Granted, if you want a bit of desert you can head over to Arizona, swamps and alligators - go to Florida; beaches - head to California; skiing - go to Colorado etc. etc.

What you don't get is different culture. (Or any culture ;) :} ). Sure, there are regional differences, but it's all pretty much of a muchness. And before you ask, yes, I have seen all the above states plus NY, IL, OK, TX, NV, NJ, NY, KS and Puerto Rico. And if travel broadens the mind, I would contend that most of the broadening is achieved by intercourse (social rather than sexual, but add the latter to the former if you insist :ok: ) with people from other cultures. The danger is that someone could spend fifty years never leaving the 48 and think the rest of the world is the same and the people think the same, other countries work the same, manners, mores and social intercourse is the same everywhere else. And it just ain't, by a long chalk.

xs-baggage
24th Aug 2008, 13:19
Yet another two Brit tourists caught shagging on the pubic beach in the Middle East.
Sounds kind of reasonable to me.
xsb

Beer_n_Tabs
25th Aug 2008, 20:45
We have invented so many of the worlds greatest sports, and now the best we can do is 5th ???

Nice effort mate but-

1. France
2. India
3. China
4. Russia
5. Britain

What happened to us being the best at everything? And as every British citizen knows....being beaten by the French at ANYTHING is quite frankly a reason for war :p

kotoyebe
31st Aug 2008, 10:45
I'm starting to get embarresed to say I'm an Aussie when travelling overseas. A couple of weeks ago I was patiently waiting in line (and chairs were provided!) to go through US immigration at Vancouver cruise ship port for a cruise to Alaska. I have never met a bigger bunch of whiners than a large bunch of Aussies going on a 75 day cruise around the Pacific. The main complaint seemed to be that they had to wait a short time to go through immigration. The impression I got was they all expected VIP treatment because they were Aussies! The US immigration officer actually said we were the happiest Aussies he had processed on the day.

On the way back from LAX just a few days ago, waiting at the gate for our flight back to SYD, infant in stroller screaming, and I mean screaming it's lungs out. Mother blissfully ignoring baby. A few stares, and comments could be heard from fellow pax, so the Aussie mother declares to all and sundry that "she is tired, baby is tired, and I am pregnant, so STOP making comments about the crying!" I almost said to her that she wasn't the only f**king tired person, at least check on why your baby is crying.

Yes, if the Aussie tourist isn't ugly yet, they are certainly getting there.

cartexchange
31st Aug 2008, 22:43
can you imagine what it must be like at Phuket airport at moment with all those sophisticated bogan jetstar pax waiting to get on a flight.
The Real UGLY whining Australian will show its head there!
The thought of it!
Geez! 5 minutes without a Bourbon and Coke, Sh!t no Bundy!
the worse would be the CUB (cashed up bogan).....I can just see it!:mad: