PDA

View Full Version : Virus scans; How often does one update 'em?

doubleUanchor
4th Feb 2001, 19:44
I have just had my Netscape Navigator files ruined by a virus (TROJ_MTX.A, named "Me_nude.avi-pif") which arrived as a second email from a friend. Because it was an address I recognised at my ISP, I downloaded it to my disk and later tried to, unsucessfully, open it. Still got the virus on board though. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

I have Mcafee anti-virus scan but of course have been meaning to update it!!

A) so how often should one update these anti-virus software items; daily?

b) how can I save my netscape navigator address book in a format that I could use again? I can save it, but in a typed manner which means I would have to re-type my 300 addresses!

c) are computers really are a developement of the breweries? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys...! :)

PPRuNe Dispatcher
4th Feb 2001, 22:31
Due to the basic complete lack of any decent security whatsoever in Micro$oft operating systems, you should really update your virus scanner at least weekly.

---PPD (A Microsoft 95, 98 and NT user)

fobotcso
5th Feb 2001, 00:48
There's a free update available weekly at the following McAfee link. No names, no pack drill. Just log on, download the appropriate file, run the "*.exe" file and Bob's your Uncle. You can even Update the engine of your ViruScan software if it is recent enough.

http://www.mcafee-at-home.com/naicommon/download/updates.asp

It takes very little effort, but as to whether its worthwhile well, thats the $64,000 question. I don't know.

redsnail
5th Feb 2001, 01:57
I use Inoculate Personal Edition from CAI. Free to aquire and free to update. I update my virus files at least once a week, more often twice a week now.
Cheers.

Ausatco
5th Feb 2001, 03:42
I use VET and update once or twice week.

VET notify users of updates or remind registered users to update at regular intervals. I get an email every 10 days or so from them.

AA

lame
5th Feb 2001, 10:11
If you join the McAfee Clinic, $19-95US a year, as well as other features, you upgrade to their Activeshield, which is better than their Viruscan.

You can very simply check for updates as often as you like, also receive a notice once every 24 hours, if you are on line at the time (you select time), advising if there are any updates or that you have the latest.

ExSimGuy
5th Feb 2001, 11:10
Well said, Lame - McAfee Clinic Anti-virus was the best $19.95 I ever spent! It's due for renewal this week and they'll get my $19.95 promptly, for the peace-of-mind that it gives me. It has spotted, and blocked, a couple of virus attempted attacks in its first year and worth every cent!

Only "down side" is that it takes 15-30 minutes to update (over a rather slow conection) and you can't do much in the mean-time as it seems to require quite a lot of resources while doing so (on my 450MHz, 128MbRAM machine) But I still do it every week or two, or when McAfee emails me to warn me of a new danger.

www.mcafee.com (http://www.mcafee.com)

------------------
What Goes Around . . . . .
. . often makes a better landing

lame
5th Feb 2001, 15:47
Yes it has saved me at least twice, worth every cent of the subscription.

Boss Raptor
6th Feb 2001, 15:49
Me too...I believe the SuperDat.exe 'update' has the scan engine included, the basic Dat is virus data only...

There is also a patch to upgrade to VS v5.15 on the 'Upgrade' page...

Bird Strike
6th Feb 2001, 18:52
My dear half and I have also been saved by McAfee on quite a few occasions, too.

Active Shield does seem to slow some of the systems down, but luckily it seems to be fine on mine. Besides, even if it slows it down a little, I would rather have the protection than not. I set the programme checks for updates once a day at set time, when I am most likely to be online.

I belive you can do a one month free trial of McAfee Clinic.

Another thing you should do if you are on Internet Explorer, is to upgrade Internet Explorer/Outlook Express to Version 5.5, or install the security patch.

Yawma
23rd Feb 2001, 16:21
Vet anti virus www.vet.com.au (http://www.vet.com.au) is updates approx 3 to 4 times per weeks and is the most effective anti virus scanning software around.

Radar Departure
25th Feb 2001, 16:31
As Reddo does, I use InoculateIT. What some may not be aware of is that they took over Vet, and the program you download and upgrade for free is in fact Vet. The free download means you don't get get phone tech support (you still get email support) or auotomatic notification of upgrades. A fabulous setup which has never let me down.
I usually upgrade about every 3 weeks, but after the happy.exe caught me between upgrades, I have halved that.

And I NEVER open an exe.file on email attachments, no matter who is sending it to me, without running the av over it first.

RD