PDA

View Full Version : Write a book

Rollingthunder
10th Aug 2008, 21:16
Having spent 30 years in aviation with the same airline ( well, it did change names a few times through being bought out re-jigged or taken over), I do know where all the bodies are buried at all levels, even if I can't remember all the names (never was very good at names, they only had to remember mine but I had tons to remember). I continue to consider writing a book about those 30 years of experience from my perspective, amusing, sad, painfull, professional,and solid team experiences.

Just a thought.

Authorthunder

Jetex Jim
11th Aug 2008, 06:01
It's well known, in publishing circles, that too much hanging out on pprune is inhibiting many new, prospective authors.

Question is, is it inhibiting them enough? ;)

BlueWolf
11th Aug 2008, 07:54
Thunder, you write a book, and by the Gods I'll read it. :ok:

Wrote the Great New Zealand Novel myself, ten years ago come November, half way through the sequel, still looking for a publisher (even my own editor isn't interested :bored:).

God speed and good luck.

Arm out the window
11th Aug 2008, 09:08
Yeah, get stuck into it - if it's nagging away in the back of your mind, just make a start and see how far it goes.
In a year or however long it takes, you'll have something good, or know that it wasn't going to work - either way, you've had a go.

Effluent Man
11th Aug 2008, 09:21
The problem is publishing is full of nepotism.Even if you produce something that is good it's pretty unlikely that anyone will pick it up.Too concerned with publishing the great works of Jordan and Naomi "I'm a celebrity throw me out of here" Campbell.

windriver
11th Aug 2008, 14:03
It is perfectly possible now to get a book published without having to get into bed with Publishing Houses. (and more importantly without crippling charges) ISBN numbers and Amazon listing etc are all possible for very minimal cost.

You will however have to do your own publicity, but this isn`t quite so hard as you might think where the principal target readers are amongst your peers.... In point of fact extracts from the book and word of mouth can be as effective as advertising.

Take a look on the Big G under Self Publishing / Print On Demand (I recommend the one that sounds like a 60's pop star.)

If you need more info drop me a PM...

Effluent Man
11th Aug 2008, 14:20
Are these "vanity publishers" ? I have heard that potential authors get persuaded to part with a lot of money to do this.

larssnowpharter
11th Aug 2008, 14:20
I continue to consider writing a book about those 30 years of experience from my perspective, amusing, sad, painfull, professional,and solid team experiences

Around 10 years ago, one had a book published by a certain publishing company speciaising in erotica for ladies that met all those criteria.

I cannot say it was good literature but the research was interesting!:E

windriver
11th Aug 2008, 14:50
Are these "vanity publishers" ? I have heard that potential authors get persuaded to part with a lot of money to do this.

No.... Self publishing is a well established inexpensive process.

As is distribution, but perfectly possible and a realistic prospect ... (even without getting a spot on Richard & Judy, Johnathon Wroth or Des O'Connor etc etc etc )

Davaar
11th Aug 2008, 15:35
Write a book?

I engage from time to time in an area of practice in which I think most of the published work is wrong, not to say glib. The solution is simple, I tell myself: "Write your own damned book if you are so smart".

It's not that anyone much will read it, but I have started. Oh the weariness! I have written about 200 pages ....... that is pages 1 to 10 twenty times over. When Thomas Carlyle had written his magisterial "History of the French Revolution", by hand I suspect, he gave the draft to a friend (Charles Lamb, I think) to read over. Lamb put the handwritten sheets down somewhere casually and the maid thought they were scrap. She tossed them into the fire. Lamb had the happy task of telling Carlyle.

"Heigh-Ho!" said Carlyle, "Swings and roundabouts!", or words to that effect, and started all over again. I begin to know how he felt.

Fantome
11th Aug 2008, 23:15
What became of pilot/author Terrence Claude Alister Beatty whose pen name was Tasman Beatty? Terry wrote quite a number of flying novels. There was one very loosely based on the life of Charles Kingsford Smith, The Thousand Skies. It was made into a pretty poor mini-series. He used the man on the twenty dollar note as a kick off idea. (Ward McNally, who wrote a biography of Smithy using that as a title, The Man on the Twenty Dollar Note, became noted for his confidence tricking past and time in the slammer. In the book he invents a first World War mate of CKS, and calls him Les Branch and attributes letters and diary notes to the mythical Branch. Beware.)

I knew Terry quite well in the days he flew Threes for Brain and Brown, before he went to Botswana and got into a DC-4 freight operation. Before that he had been a wireless op on Yorks with Skyways of London. He wrote a good letter. Gave him the handle Clammy Arse (TCAB), in an inebriated moment. He came back, "Any friend who would caste aspersions on the moist propensities of my fundamental is no longer one."

BlueWolf
12th Aug 2008, 01:08
Vanity publishing (known as "subsidy publishing" when dressed up for a Sunday) doesn't have the same stigma it did a few years back. That said I have resisted it so far :p

In the past it was asserted that once an author had gone down the vanity road, there was no coming back unto the redemption of the "real" publishing world; but this isn't necessarily the case anymore. Simon Haynes, Australian sci-fi/comedy writer, self published and was picked up by UK literary agent John Jarrold, who then on-sold him to Penguin where he became a best-seller.

Quality of writing is no guarantee of publishing success, nor are publishers always able to pick winners. Watership Down was knocked back 37 times on the way to becoming an international success story, and even Harry Potter was rejected by the first four publishers to be offered it.

If you can write well, and you have a circle of enough contacts to guarantee a few people will at least look at your finished product, and you can stump up for the production and printing costs, and don't mind pounding the pavements and cold-selling it and yourself to the high street book trade, you may do alright.

I have a mate up north who is on his fourth title. He makes enough out of each one to pay for the next one, which isn't bad in a market the size of NZ.