PDA

View Full Version : Britain From Above?

tony draper
10th Aug 2008, 22:06
Good stuff,but one thinks the program should be re named the South East form above, which one suspected it would be even before the first episode.
:ok:

Parapunter
10th Aug 2008, 22:32
Now now Mr. persecuted, there was definitely a shot of Ladybower in there too. Great stuff though. I'm waiting to see if I know the pilot on his tandem paraglider flight wot was in the trailer.

frostbite
10th Aug 2008, 22:38
Most interesting, but it was a bit much to put another half hour of it on BBC2 straight afterwards.

B Fraser
10th Aug 2008, 22:39
Was the paragliding shot from Long Mynd or The Blorenge ? Rhossilli or Combe are my favourite sites :E

There was a shot of Tyneside Herr Droops, taken from low earth orbit which is quite close enough.

Blues&twos
10th Aug 2008, 22:45
Bet the French pulled the circuit breakers just for a laugh....

tony draper
10th Aug 2008, 22:49
Hmmm, not even as if London is a part of Britain anymore, it's a feckin furrin entrepot like Shanghi used to be.
:rolleyes:

Parapunter
10th Aug 2008, 22:53
Dunno, didn't recogniose it. Given the bit's of the peaks & all the hangy's, wouldn't surprise me if it were mam tor or lords seat.

denis555
11th Aug 2008, 08:49
Jumped about from place to place with shallow observations with the conclusion seeming to be 'it's all very complicated down there'...

...and I thought 'Coast' was dumbed down

By the way did that hap from 'Coast' ever use his gimmicky umbrella? The only time I saw him in the rain he had his hood up.

Windy Militant
11th Aug 2008, 09:38
Slightly saddening, but not unexpected to hear that the"Soap Switch On" is unique to these septic Isles. As for the BBC 2 follow on, I had some stuff to do so I've recorded it, but the opening seemed to be interesting. It looks as if they are doing a similar thing to the Coast series, put the "Pop Culture" on BBC 1 and then follow up with more detailed stuff on BBC 2 and BBC 4. What with the weather being foul I thought it was going to be a dull weekend, but this and the Sci Fi Channel having a Thunderbirds weekend it's been FAB. ;)

Rossian
11th Aug 2008, 10:57
Denis555:

If you dig out Mr Cranes book about his walk from Finisterre through all the mountain ranges of Europe you'll find that he did use it, having been given by an elderly Spaniard early in his trip. Now, as ever with the media, its become his "tag" "hook" or trademark. Nowt to get fashed about. Here endeth today's trivia lesson.
The Ancient Mariner

Effluent Man
11th Aug 2008, 13:56
I found the second bit on BBC2 more interesting.

The Flying Pram
11th Aug 2008, 18:23
According to an article in the Mail on Sunday the paragliding was shot on the Welsh borders - quote "Circling high over Powys and Herefordshire". The pilot was Jocky Sanderson.

Parapunter
11th Aug 2008, 20:02
That'd be the Long Mynd then & Jockey too eh? He knows a thing or two that boy.

B Fraser
11th Aug 2008, 20:16
I have a few of Jocky's videos on how to recover from when it all goes to a bag of washing....... now that would make interesting telly. :eek:

Parapunter
11th Aug 2008, 20:18
I got them too. Ah, Nova Axons, the good old days.

tony draper
17th Aug 2008, 22:08
Well gave the second outing a chance,found it irritating,to scrappy, leaps about from subject to subject telling us nothing new,I find Andrew Marrr just irritating,he sounds like one of those patronising travel show front men from the sixities.
Local television up here is showing a far superior series utilising aviation called Northern Eye in the Sky,various parts of the landscape ie the Roman Wall examined from a helicopter flying along at low level, one of the most sensible things they have done is remove the annoying racket those flying machines make and just have the commentary over the top of the visuals.
One shall not bother with the rest of this series,frankly one finds it a bit naff.:rolleyes:

mustpost
17th Aug 2008, 22:53
Made quite a bit of them helicoptory proggys myself - always found they improved with rotor/turbine bits removed......
PS in my prof opinion Mr D (TV critic) has the series bang to rights..:ouch:

I also have reason to believe that 'Northern Eye in The Sk..' etc is a programme copyright violatio....
but never mind (see above)

TURIN
17th Aug 2008, 23:01
Well as far as I'm concerned he wimped out on a floppy. Jocky S or not!

What he needed was a bit of scratchin' over Edge Top or Shining Tor with a lingering view across Jodrell Bank at sunset.

Nice to see the free flyers get a look in all the same. :ok::D

Parapunter
17th Aug 2008, 23:01
Strikes me that the Beeb has more than an eye on the Hi defintion market with this one & the Pacific Abyss thing on earlier and all the riches that these shows may bring.

tony draper
17th Aug 2008, 23:06
Think I has it sussed, they do the one on BBC1 for the bumpkins and the one on BBC2 for the folks that can read without moving their lips.
:rolleyes:

mustpost
17th Aug 2008, 23:25
Yup. in that market myself, these things won't really date, HD content like that will have a reasonable shelf life, inculding on the internest. my helicoptory stuff (non HD) is now freely available in chunks from ITV - and do I get any extra money..... grrrrr -- wasn't made that long ago...:(:(

DX Wombat
17th Aug 2008, 23:27
The best commercial aerial view video I have seen was when I visited the Hardangervidda Visitor Centre at (I think) Geilo in Norway. A wonderful presentation lasting about 20 minutes, not a single spoken word just twenty minutes of stunning scenery and wildlife throughout a twelve months period, accompanied by appropriate music which was in no way intrusive. That alone was well worth the entrance fee. I was the only person in the audience. :)

Andy Rylance
19th Aug 2008, 23:07
I think the conversation went thus:

BBC Contracts department (those that do not think)

"Andy get us out of this mess, we have contracted for a 1000 hours on a helicopter over for news and now it is pretty bloody obvious we ain't going to use it. So we got a lose it or use it situation"

Mr Marr

"Right" (said in overbearing I want to be next Attenborough kind of way)

Opening music, aerial shots all over and a deep voice starts.....

"Way back when the helicopter was thought of as a good idea and Sky News got theirs first, mankind realised that the only thing to do was to sign a contract, and by god was that a big contract, mankind had not seen its kind before and nowhere on earth had..."

etc etc

Checkboard
20th Aug 2008, 00:08
Why not dress up a dolly in a tight jumpsuit, and spend the heli time in a treasure hunt style of program?

... or do a gardening thing.

mustpost
20th Aug 2008, 20:51
Andy, your first few sentences made me check your profile for Beeb credentials or trollism - I now realise(think) you're the real deal. You couldn't be closer to the truth - I had a brand new sat truck (news - ITV land) at my disposal which had to be used at every available op. I am going to go back to my diaries to see the daft stories we had to cover to satisfy the bean counters - and there were a lot of them :mad::mad: - bean counters that is.
I will post if I find details

Incidentally, "Opening shots ----------, music etc., is my territory so back off or I'll gie you a BBCU :E.
OK you can fly me next time......

Gainesy
21st Aug 2008, 11:41
An old-hand BBC producer once told me, in reference to those decorating/makeover shows: "**** me, we've got people to actually watch paint dry".

Bravo73
21st Aug 2008, 11:55
"...we have contracted for a 1000 hours on a helicopter over for news and now it is pretty bloody obvious we ain't going to use it. So we got a lose it or use it situation"

So why use a KingAir so much then...? :E

2 sheds
21st Aug 2008, 12:36
"I find Andrew Marrr just irritating"

Could be worse - might be Jeremy Vine, he of the even more irritating, high pitched, constant stream of pointless rhetorical questions.

green granite
21st Aug 2008, 12:53
This is the second of such types of programmes I've watched (we had one done for Anglia tv about East Anglia from the air filmed from a chopper)

Whilst both of them are interesting and ok to watch I find they lack something but I'm not certain what. They leave me a bit unfulfilled if you know what I mean.

mustpost
21st Aug 2008, 13:58
I had the pleasure of filming all of Scotland's islands, but I know what you mean - sometimes miles and miles of b:mad:r all...

Richard Taylor
21st Aug 2008, 14:27
How about the rest of the UK, outside of the SE & London? :}

blue monday
21st Aug 2008, 14:50
They covered the Lake district - big mean noisey plane called Typhoon flew thought it, and the opening credite on the first episode he was stood on the GMEX car park in Manchester!!

On a diffrent note - i like the way the keep changing the aircraft type they fly in.

macdee
21st Aug 2008, 15:20
Mr D ..Do you remember seeing a programme on the BBC which had a jet aircraft (Tornado?) filming a flight around the coasts of England and Scotland at a high speed..
That was pretty good with minimal commentary, but a bit too quick!
Can't remember if they did the Irish part too.

macdee

Kolibear
21st Aug 2008, 15:25
Actually it was a Hawk and they flew it backwards.

The camera was facing aft & they flew the route in reverse.

airborne_artist
21st Aug 2008, 18:43
I'm soon going to start filming Britain from Below. We'll being going down the sewers and poking fiber-optic cams up the drain pipes, so we can see their bathrooms, kitchens etc. without them even having to let us in, or more importantly, have forewarning to tidy up.

Richard Taylor
21st Aug 2008, 19:02
Actually I do like the programme! :ok:

I believe this coming episode focuses on the untamed Britain...the extremities of the country...the areas that Man dare not tread...where no intelligent life of any note exists..............

.............So that'll be birmingham then.......:E:E

TURIN
22nd Aug 2008, 00:06
An old-hand BBC producer once told me, in reference to those decorating/makeover shows: "**** me, we've got people to actually watch paint dry".

Well now Britain from Above has got people watching grass grow. :hmm::bored::O

Whirlygig
22nd Aug 2008, 00:14
We'll being going down the sewers and poking fiber-optic cams up the drain pipes

Now why doesn't it surprise me that you'd want to make a dirty movie or two!! :E :}

Cheers

Whirls

ChampChump
22nd Aug 2008, 12:06
I've only seen a small part of one episode, so have every right to pass judgement.

ISTM it can't be all bad if you get to fly the Dragon Rapide - or in her then - in order to discuss the socio-architectural growth of the land.

Compared with all the rubbish chucked out of the tube, this and Coast seem as good as we can expect.

Joe Public gets to see all sorts of aircraft and the Beeb gets to charter/scrounge said aircraft, thus helping the perception & health of UK aviation.

This from one who gave up on TV a year or three ago and only sees it in the messrooms...