PDA

View Full Version : Windows and Firefox problem

Loose rivets
10th Aug 2008, 16:21
Hi again.

One is on a pal's hp laptop Celeron M and it seems quite good now that Vista has beenreplced by XP sp2. But...

It always seems to be reluctant to log on to tiscali, but when on, seems good. Sometimes I ask MS to Repair, and then it goes. Sig strength can be good, but still no go. Computer is talking to the SMC router okay.

1/ Is there a definite way of checking the provider's signal, Versus the link to the Router.?

2/ Firefox is okay, but although it's ticked as 'Replace words as you type' Spell check simply is not working. Help! I nedd this:hmm:

3/ This Service Pack seems slightly different to my American one and simply does not offer Hybernate. I use this all the time at home. The PC upstairs is the same. Is there a switch buried somewhere that will allow it to toggle between Standby and Hybernate?

ZH875
10th Aug 2008, 17:18
for 3 check in 'start' 'settings' 'control Panel' 'Power options' there should be a tab there that allows you to enable Hibernation.

BOAC
10th Aug 2008, 21:44
1) Test Result (http://speedtester.bt.com/) gives you a good insight into what is going on.

Loose rivets
11th Aug 2008, 15:45
for 3 check in 'start' 'settings' 'control Panel' 'Power options' there should be a tab there that allows you to enable Hibernation.

Oh dear! I looked in there, I know I did. S'what I say to the Rivetess when she tells me I didn't look properly. Thanks ;)

Probably the same issue, but Tools Options Content shows some Java but not applets. When selecting link, I get

You do not have Java applets
enabled in your web browser.

Another menu altogether?

Jhieminga
11th Aug 2008, 19:22
Do you have Java installed then? Try here: java.com: Java + You (http://www.java.com/en/) Click on 'Do I have Java?' and see what they say. There are some tips on those pages too on how to enable things.

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Aug 2008, 19:27
Do you have Java installed then? Try here: java.com: Java + You (http://www.java.com/en/) Click on 'Do I have Java?' and see what they say.
... but don't click on any buttons that actually do anything without being certain that it's absolutely what you want!!

For me it said "you have Java version x, you should have version y, click to install". It was completely and totally and utterly wrong, basically it didn't have a clue what it was wittering about.

I was deliberately running version x for a jolly good reason - I run applications on my machine that work with version x and do not work with version y. The Java industry has this weird belief that Java is backwards compatible - that installing a later version won't break stuff that's already on your machine - and it's just plain wrong.

Loose rivets
11th Aug 2008, 20:25
Spell check.

Okay, I've been using Firefox for years and I have never downloaded a dictionary before. I've just installed the English one and away it goes.

Java. Given that it's not my computer, I'm a little reticent to ignore the AVG warning, but my guess it that would be okay. Any thoughts.

After totally refusing to show the upstairs printer on the Install Browse wizard on the remote computer, it suddenly appeared. And runs.

It required the Name of the computer rather than the drive and further addresses. In this case, Advent\EPSONSty It just suddenly put Advent in the box on the laptop by itself. I have no idea why it took two hours to decide to do it.

The Flying Pram
12th Aug 2008, 14:32
I installed the English (U.K.) dictionary some time ago, but it's not made the slightest difference. It still flags up realise, but not the American version realize.

Loose rivets
12th Aug 2008, 14:43
My English language advisor, i.e. the Rivetess, assures me that the zee or zed should follow an i.

I have an idea that this is a somewhat contemporary change from an established i-s, but this changed from i-z prior to that. Smacks of the gotten argument.

Ha! I don't see any red line under gotten.

capitalise capitalize ... now there's a thing, not a red line in sight.

green granite
12th Aug 2008, 16:02
It still flags up realise, but not the American version realize.

realize is not the American version it's UK English version, the OED shows it with a Z. The S version is for those who cannot spell proper like. :E