PDA

View Full Version : World's most expensive private dwelling sold for 320 million

airship
10th Aug 2008, 15:57
A villa overlooking Villefranche / Nice has apparently recently exchanged hands for 320 million, breaking all previous public records for what has hitherto been paid for a private residence, including the 70-80 million that the Mittal upstart paid for a '2up, 2 down' in central London a few years ago.

The villa (http://www.nicematin.com/ra/26/138345), once belonging to the Belgian Royal family (I believe that the older Royal frequented the same tabac as I did for a number of years when we exchanged 'bonjours' a few times...), has been acquired by a Russian. Not really all that surprising, the French Riviera was always a favourite destination for pre-revolutionary Russians. Rumours have it that Nice's mayor is seriously considering renaming the Promenade des Anglais now.

If one remembers correctly, not quite a hundred years ago, the Russian proletariat got very upset with their lot. Apparently it was the Tsar and his lot that got up everyone's backsides. I wonder if we can all look forward to 'la chasse' of all the Russian oligarchs sometime before the anniversary of 2017...?! Just to be on the safe side, I expect that the villa's newest owners will be ordering a lot of (Mittal's) steel in order to protect all 8-10 hectares of their domain, just in case all the (positive) publicity surrounding their latest acquisition is outweighed by anything (negative) once the novelty has worn off...?!

Parapunter
10th Aug 2008, 16:03
Where's Villefranche? Nice-ish?

Abusing_the_sky
10th Aug 2008, 16:12
Isn't it the one bought by Abramovich?:confused:

Rgds,
ATS

airship
10th Aug 2008, 16:13
IMHO, if one had a Stinger or other shoulder-launched SAM, no aircraft using Nice International airport would be safe from anyone on the grounds of afore-mentioned villa... :uhoh: ;)

For 320m, I'd have expected an express elevator with direct access to the beach in Villefranche bay...?! :hmm:

Brakes on
10th Aug 2008, 16:48
Parapunter,
it's a few km east of Nice, towards Monaco.

And it's 500 million, which I believe is about 320 million.

frostbite
10th Aug 2008, 17:15
Does the purchase include drilling rights?

West Coast
10th Aug 2008, 17:17
Brad and Angie?

If so, I'd like the drilling rights

galaxy flyer
11th Aug 2008, 00:37
And that price in down market, imagine the upside potential. :ok:

pineridge
11th Aug 2008, 14:52
Parapunter asked....
"Where's Villefranche? Nice-ish?"

East of Nice, on the way to Monaco. It`s full name is Villefranche-sur-Mer, to differentiate it from about a dozen other "Villefranche`s in France.
It`s a pretty little spot, squashed in between the railway line and the Med.