PDA

View Full Version : Vista will not install software

torchy747
10th Aug 2008, 00:36
Having just bought a Sony Vaio (no criticism) with Vista Premium I think that the boss must have been taking a holiday when Vista was designed.

Brand new laptop, marvellous bit of kit but just tried to install some Pinnacle Software.

Computer says, you require administrator rights to install this software, Log-in as an administrator and try again.

Only issue is that I am logged in already as an Administator so what's the problem?

Is there anyway of turning this "protection" off. I don't fear viruses, I walk around in the Isle of Man in a tea-shirt, even in summer:)

Just about to trade in for a Mac, well two, live in the IOM

Any help appreciated guys

ATB,
Torchy

torchy747
12th Aug 2008, 11:05
Thanks Stacey,

will give it a go when next at home

ATB,
Torchy

torchy747
19th Aug 2008, 19:44
Stacey,

You are a star, now working much better without the nanny state. Took me a while to figure out where the Run command had gone but have reset my desktop to Classic XP format and find it much easier to use.

Only problem is my old version of Pinnacle Studio version 9 wil not install due to "compatability problems" so saving up for a new version.

Thanks again,

Torchy

whiz
20th Aug 2008, 07:44
After disabling UAC I get the immensely annoying error message 'UAC is turned off' in the bottom right hand corner when I reboot. Is there any way of switching that off too ?
Thanks in advance

Shunter
20th Aug 2008, 18:59
Microsoft DO like playing at being nanny knows bestWell, when one is selling a tarted-up 20yr old hack-job of an operating system, never designed with the internet in mind, been senselessly battered by repeated exploits of their swiss-cheese security, and having gone so far down the road they can't turn back, they don't have much choice.

My advice? Use Linux, or buy a Mac.

Shunter (who only admits to being an MCSE to close friends and family)

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Aug 2008, 19:30
Microsoft DO like playing at being nanny knows best
Can't win, can they? - if they allow consenting grown-ups to set up their own computers that they own in the way that they want to they get a bollocking for that, too, don't they? - "allowing ignorant Joe Sixpacks to put unsafe computers on the internet".

Parapunter
20th Aug 2008, 20:28
Rayher than fanny about in the registry, if the red shileld icon is irritating you, hide it thus:

Right click on an empty part of the system tray, click on properties then choose the notification area tab & from there, customise icons & hide those you don't want to display.

It can get very busy down in the system tray...

BOAC
20th Aug 2008, 20:41
To add to the Vista 'fun' list, a friend has just spent several days fruitlessly trying to set up a USB dial-up modem on AOL (don't ask....) and EVENTUALLY the AOL 'help' desk pointed out that you cannot use a dial-up modem with Vista.:ugh:

Parapunter
20th Aug 2008, 20:50
...Nor a Hotmail account for that matter. Mine came up for activation again today, a year after it was installed. It wipes the wallpaper & displays an un-get-riddable dialog box demanding activation NOW dont you know.

I got rid - Mr Parapunter has his methods.:}

ZFT
21st Aug 2008, 08:11
Just purchased 3 ACER 5920s with identical specs. 2 have XP and Office 2003 (due to requirements of resident programmes) and the last one has Vista with Office 2007 to avoid ‘XP upgrade’ costs.

Guess which one is a pain?

Another XP upgrade coming shortly.