PDA

View Full Version : MoBo or CPU Failure?

ShyTorque
9th Aug 2008, 20:44
After my recent problems with a virus/worm infection in my PC, I thought I had it all under control again.

However, over the past few days it has suffered random failures of the USB keyboard output. I rebooted after changing to a spare PS/2 keyboard, no change.

I also carefully cleaned off the dust from the innards, and cleaned and reseated the CPU heatsink and fan (which was running). I noticed this made little difference to the running temperature according to the BIOS's temperature monitoring facility.

This problem went away for a while after I allowed the PC to cool right down before rebooting, only to recur later at random intervals.

Today I rebooted after another failure, only to hear a POST beep code of 1-8-2-1.

Nothing on screen shown, it doesn't get as far as switching on the video output. Suspecting a video card failure (AGP) I fitted an old PCI video card instead. No change, same beep code. I disconnected all the peripherals, same beep code.

I've also reseated the DIMM modules and tried them singly in each slot.

Anyone got any further clues? The title gives away my own suspicions after all this.

Parapunter
9th Aug 2008, 21:20
Who makes the bios?

ShyTorque
9th Aug 2008, 22:04
Slightly embarrassed to admit I never noted this. It's an Asrock K7S8X ATX board with an SiS chipset if that is any use.

Parapunter
10th Aug 2008, 07:04
I think it's an AMI bios. You could have a look here:

PC Hell: BIOS Error Beep Codes (http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml)

Although that sequence of beeps is not described & you have extensively removed components to isolate the problem. You might try the video card, ram etc. in another box to confirm they're working?

green granite
10th Aug 2008, 07:07
Bios codes here

BiosCentral - AMI BIOS Beep Codes (http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm)

ShyTorque
10th Aug 2008, 12:19
Today it looks like the power supply has completely failed; it switched on very briefly and then died. I'll try another before doing anything else. Looks like I'm in for a complete rebuild.

Parapunter
10th Aug 2008, 13:23
I'd say it looks like you're in for a complete rebuild:p

Face it ST, if it were a horse, you'd shoot it!

ShyTorque
10th Aug 2008, 21:57
I think a shooting might be too late! It's now an ex-computer, deceased :sad:

An X box? ;)

Parapunter
10th Aug 2008, 22:18
Good, but notoriously noisy...

Then again, that is a viewpoint from the media centre community for which they can act as extenders. My guess is the surround sound gamers don't hear the fan...

unclenelli
11th Aug 2008, 00:24
It's Summer in the UK and it's quite humid, therefore little heat transfer to the atmosphere from humans, and heatsinks

The SITA PC at work has been playing up lately - 1 PC stand (air underneath) and moving the PC to one side (stops books being placed against hot exhaust vent) and it starts working again (100ft of paper started printing at 4am this morning!!!!)
The PC now has a marked (with marker pen) air gap beside the PC case to prevent the machine from overheating (about 1.5")

My own PC at home has the side off permanently to aid cooling, but will still occassionally shutdown during summer months

green granite
11th Aug 2008, 06:43
Today it looks like the power supply has completely failed; it switched on very briefly and then died.

Not necessarily, a good smpsu will shut down if it detects a short/open circuit on the mbo.

PPRuNeUser0211
11th Aug 2008, 09:51
unclenelli - a popular myth! In fact, if your case is halfway decent and you have a traditional fan setup, you will actually get better cooling with the side of the case on, due to improved airflow over the mobo. See it thus: If you have a CPU fan and a psu fan, with the side fo the case off, both do a reasonable job of cooling their respective parts. With the side of the case on, they also draw air over the rest of the mobo, the expansion cards, drive bays etc etc. This can be further aided with front of case/back of case fans.

Provided you have a decent case... and dont have millions of pesky IDE ribbon cables all over the place!