PDA

View Full Version : Car tax tip (UK)

Nopax,thanx
9th Aug 2008, 19:39
Hi all;

From today's Torygraph, a little piece of advice to help the beleaguered British motorist; if you car tax is due at the end of this month, and your vehicle is one of those which will attract a higher VED next year, tax the vehicle only for six months. It is a few quid more to only buy six months' tax but next year you can re-tax for twelve months just before the deadline for increased duty, and save anything up to a couple of hundred.

Up yours Mr.Brown! :ok:

Effluent Man
11th Aug 2008, 10:29
They are back-tracking on the car tax hikes in November.

Flap 5
11th Aug 2008, 11:44
When exactly are these changes due to come into effect then? End of February or the end of March 2009? A deadline of the end of August for a six month renewal would take us to the end of February - but surely the new tax year starts from the end of March? So the deadline would be the end of September 2008 for six month renewals to beat the increased duty. Unless of course the government changes it's mind again.

parabellum
11th Aug 2008, 13:03
Or you change the Government?;)

Flap 5
11th Aug 2008, 17:15
Nopax,

I have not found the telegraph article you refer to. Can you answer my question and / or direct me to the relevant article online?

Flap 5
14th Aug 2008, 13:40
It does appear that the new ved tax would be applicable from April 2009 and not March 2009 - according to Parkers Price Guide: Road tax - Parker's (http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax). Therefore buying a 6 months tax disc would be beneficial from the end of September as well as August.

However it looks like like the government may well back track in November - just after anyone committed to a 6 months tax disc would have bought one. This would have brought the government that little more tax from the higher six monthly rate from those taking the government at it's word. Now who would do that nowadays? Err-r-r maybe me. Or maybe not. Damn! :ooh::ugh: