PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Service Pack 3

C4
9th Aug 2008, 17:03
Have heard conflicting stories / horrors about Win XP SP3. Anyone got the scoop??:confused:

Track Jitter
9th Aug 2008, 17:48
Not really a problem unless you have an HP (and some other makes) AMD powered machine. Google SP3 and AMD!

Saab Dastard
9th Aug 2008, 18:20
I'm now running XP SP3 on an AMD Athlon (single core).

No problems, just can't get Silverlight to run, as SSE instruction set isn't supported on the Athlon.

Not a great loss, methinks.

SD

BEagle
9th Aug 2008, 19:26
See http://www.pprune.org/forums/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/323012-xp-sp3-imminent.html .

BOAC
10th Aug 2008, 09:56
HP AMD processed machines need to install HP SP37394 (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=pv-60484-2&jumpid=reg_R1002_UKEN) BEFORE SP3 or face a time-consuming correction process.

Tarq57
10th Aug 2008, 11:42
No problems here. Downloaded the full installer - ~307Mb.
If you are one of those who prefers to retain the option to use IE6, make sure IE7 is uninstalled before applying SP3. If not, the option is removed following the install of SP3, so I've read.

Newforest2
10th Aug 2008, 14:19
I subscribe to automatic updates and haven't had any recently, so have I got SP3 or not? Is this limited to the US at the moment?

Saab Dastard
10th Aug 2008, 15:30
Is this limited to the US at the moment?

Nope!

No idea why you aren't getting updates. Try manual to see what you're missing.

SD

Brakes on
10th Aug 2008, 16:40
I'm on automatic updates too and didn't get it. I then tried three times to update manually. Every time it comes back with the message: "Update failed. A problem on your computer prevents download ." :confused:
Very useful. Can't use the troubleshooter either, because what problem definition would I give?
Any ideas welcome.
Thanks.

amanoffewwords
10th Aug 2008, 18:37
You can download the full version here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en) (Microsoft Download Site)

Keef
10th Aug 2008, 22:23
I followed the "avoid it" advice, and my desktop machine is fine without it.

My new laptop came with it, and with some strange habits. I uninstalled it, and the laptop's now fine.

I like playing with Beta (and even Alpha) software, but when it comes to the basic operating system, I stick with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Tarq57
10th Aug 2008, 22:30
I subscribe to automatic updates and haven't had any recently, so have I got SP3 or not? Is this limited to the US at the moment?

Click on "control panel>system" and on the general tab, it should list the version.

I followed the "avoid it" advice, and my desktop machine is fine without it.

My new laptop came with it, and with some strange habits. I uninstalled it, and the laptop's now fine.

I like playing with Beta (and even Alpha) software, but when it comes to the basic operating system, I stick with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
While this approach will be fine for a while, sooner or later in the (extended) life of XP, there will probably come a time when SP3 needs to be installed for continued support.

Keef
10th Aug 2008, 22:40
While this approach will be fine for a while, sooner or later in the (extended) life of XP, there will probably come a time when SP3 needs to be installed for continued support.
Indeed, but that's likely to be a few years off, and by then I'll have switched over to 100% Linux. Already, my old PC with Slackware is faster than the new one with Windows for most functions. The next trick will be to put Slackware on a separate partition on the new PC and see what happens...

unclenelli
11th Aug 2008, 00:09
I've tried it on 2 different PCs and it didn't work on either (at first)
Desktop
A Trigger's Brush
ASUS P4S800
Intel 2.8MHz CPU
XP Pro SP2 (kosher)
Laptop
Toshiba A100 Satellite Pro
Intel Dual Core 2x 1.73Mhz CPU
XP MCE2003 (kosher)

Both downloaded versions froze during install
Desktop allowed wind-back and worked OK. Laptop allowed wind-back, but would not boot afterwards

Got a CD from a mate who said it worked for him - same problems

Bought CD from MS - only £7.33 in UK - same problems
Decided to remaster both systems

Laptop
Reinstalled XP MCE 2003 SP2 from scratch, then SP3 - no problems

desktop
Reinstalled XP Pro SP2 from scratch, couldn't install raid array card during install, installed XP Pro SP0, then raid array, then SP2 (from CD), then SP3, and no problems

Both systems have Software: Free Your Audio, Find Album Cover Art, and Freeware | MuvEnum Software (http://www.muvenum.com) installed as an address bar.

PPRuNeUser0211
11th Aug 2008, 09:54
Installed on my Vaio SZ1 and it works fine, although I did start from a clean system and install it at the same time as the new copy of XP...

only snag now, cant get the damn FN buttons (volume, screen brightness etc) to work, despite following various guides on the web!

frostbite
11th Aug 2008, 11:48
I downloaded, but did not install, SP3 some time ago.

Reckon on staying that way ufn.