PDA

View Full Version : M1 Visa info + Where to train in California / Florida

AdamKeats
9th Aug 2008, 15:49
Hope i'm not posting this question in the wrong forum so apologies if i am.

I've wanted to fly helicopters since I ws a kid and finally decided now was the time to do it. After seeing the costs of training in the UK I thought I'd look at training in the US and decided on either Florida or California. Its taken a little digging to find out the requirements for Visa's and TSA clearance etc and I had decided upon training with SRT helicopters in Bakersfield CA but just found out they cant sponsor an M1 visa.

They have been informed by immigration that as i'm not looking for a career change that a visa is not required, yet the US embassy in London say otherwise. I've read conflicting arguments on line, some say training less than 18 hours a week is part time, and therfore no visa is required!

Silly question but how many hours a week would i likely be training, looking at student averages its takes approximately 60 hours of flight training, and 30 hours of ground school so if i have 8-9 weeks, thats surely part time, or is this 18hour info fictional :ugh:.

If i can not train with SRT, which other flight schools come hightly recommended. I've looked at Ocean helicopters in Florida and UKFT in Longbeach CA in the past.

Thanks

HillerBee
9th Aug 2008, 16:09
You should go to South Africa for training. You get an ICAO license which is just as useful as a FAA (ICAO) license. No VISA or TSA BS. And the cost is lower than the US, especially the cost of living. There are places in SA where you can also train for a FAA license if you want to by the way, TSA would still be required then.

darrenphughes
9th Aug 2008, 16:32
Is it for Commercial, CFI, Professional Pilot Course or just a private? If it is just for a private, you can go on just a holiday(less than 3 months I think.) to the US and complete the course in about 2 months or less.

If it's for more than that you will need the M1, which is what I did. I actually went to a school not far from Bakersfield, called Mazzei Flying Service in Fresno. I can vouch for them, they were very efficient and it's a great learning atmosphere(aside from the parties at the student housing). I was done with the Private and studying Instrument within 6 weeks.

If you'd like more info, feel free to PM me.
Cheers,
Darren.

BHenderson
9th Aug 2008, 17:09
Adam,

I've just come back from SRT Helicopters in Bakersfield. You will not find a better school for miles. I completed my CPL, IR and CFI with them. Chris, the owner, is a special ops pilot on the Blackhawk and currently focuses on training the EMS operators.

You do require an M1 visa and TSA clearance to train in the States.

SRT were having their M1 visa approval status fast-tracked when I left 3 weeks ago. It was to take at a maximum of 3 months otherwise. They should have the approval before you intend to travel.

I can't comment on Ocean Helicopters in FL but stay clear of UKFT in Long Beach at all costs.

SRT is about 10 minutes from the Sierra Nevada Mountains, whereas Florida is pretty flat. The mountains would help you to develop your skills and control touch.

One thing that shows the standard of schools is how they deal with maintenance. SRT perform maintenance every 25 hours on their ships - above and beyond the FAA required 100 hour checks.

It is rubbish to say that the FAA licence is worthless. What counts is the QUALITY of training. There are some with JAA and those with FAA licences can't fly for toffee. It's the training that determines this.

Send me a pm if you want more detailed views and opinions.

Bob

BHenderson
9th Aug 2008, 19:55
I personally completed the ATPL exams here and then trained in the US. To convert the licence to JAA with the exam passes is only training as required, which shouldn't be a problem.

ocean1
19th Aug 2008, 14:22
I would strongly recommend Ocean Helicopters, they offer the visa, housing, and can get it done.

darrenphughes
19th Aug 2008, 22:18
Yeah, but the terrain is soooo flat!! :E

Whirlygig
19th Aug 2008, 22:23
You wha'? Ever been to Lincolnshire? :E Where QNH=QFE!!

Cheers

Whirls

JohnJ
25th Aug 2008, 14:03
Just to add my 2 penny/cents. Over the last 8 years I have flown at 3 different and know of about 7 helicopter schools based at Long Beach Airport, California. Again just my opinion but I think CA's weather is more predictable than FL. LGB (Long Beach) although a busy commercial airport is very student friendly, hence the number of rotary and fixed wing schools based there. Not wishing to "advertise" but I return to Los Angeles Helicopters (LAHelicopters) as often as possible, they are the most professional and organised outfit of all I have experienced, and can offer M1 visas. To avoid upsetting anyone by this becoming a LAH advert then feel free to PM me.

funfinn2000
26th Aug 2008, 16:07
Get yer self down to Florida but do a couple of hours in your home country first to see if u like it and also meet some good contacts before you go so when ya come back you will be a famliar face, it's all about networking. pm me for the info , I have visted most of the schools in USA.

Lude-og
27th Aug 2008, 20:53
Funfinn 2000, You got a pm