PDA

View Full Version : Freeserve rates?

Roundout
24th Nov 2000, 14:04
Can't find this under Search - can anyone give me an idea of what the telephone rates are when using Freeserve? The dial-up is an 0845 number.

RossMiles
24th Nov 2000, 17:15
Hi There,

0845 numbers are charged at the local rate. Except Freeserve's new BT Surf Free connection which is free at the evenings and weekends for a flat rate £5.99 Hope this helps. To anyone out there experiencing problems with Freeserve don't forget to put 1470 (CLID) in front of your number. All new Freeserve CD's have negelected to tell people about this piece of legislation.

Ross
[email protected]

Roundout
24th Nov 2000, 23:47
Thanks for the quick response Ross.

CrashDive
25th Nov 2000, 13:51
I subscribe to the 'Unlimited FreeServe' package which basically means that I get a monthly charge of £10, and in return get free Internet calls at any time of the day or night - genuine 24/7.

To connect to FreeServe I use BT HomeHighway (which gives me two analogue plus one digital line in/out of the house), coupled to the digital line is a BT-Ignition ISDN Terminal Adaptor (aka. a digital modem).

For using the HomeHighway system I also pay BT £39.99/month - this includes £13 of 'free' calls.

Nb. One of my analogue phone lines (the one that gets the most use) has a little FreeServe gismo attached to it that automatically preceeds any numbers I call with the code to direct my call via the FreeServe network.

As you might understand, being a PPRuNe administrator, I have the need to use the internet a lot - and so fast/reliable access is a bonus; Thus all in all I'm quite happy with my setup. Connection rates are always 115,200 baud, and the typical time to connect is about 3 seconds (during the afternoon when all the kids get on after school it can take upto 30 seconds).

Ps. Don't be fooled by the daft connection rates that some ISP's claim. They may indeed be able to connect your computer to their system at that, but you should always remember that, in general, the speed of down/up-load that you will percieve is going to equal to the slowest server/router in the link between you and the site you are accessing !

spannersatcx
26th Nov 2000, 02:32
ntlworld, free 24/7 internet access. You must use £10 worth of phone calls, if not then it is made up to £10 i.e phonecalls = £9 internet =£1