PDA

View Full Version : W32.Navidad

IBTheseus
23rd Nov 2000, 09:54
Everyone out there please be careful with the W32.Navidad worm. I operate on Windows ME and have just been king hit by it. The damage so massive I've had to wipe the hard drive and start again. Yesterday morning I was hit, I had just updated Norton's anti virus, but did not reboot the computer. Big mistake.
I'm getting the impression the Virus scans are currently aimed at windows 95/98 as they have Dos. Navidad appears to love ME without DOS.

R O Tiree
23rd Nov 2000, 16:45
Bad luck m8. How did you get it? Any give-away phrases in e-mail, file attachment, etc?

The Unteleported Man
23rd Nov 2000, 19:57
Yeah, I just had a bunch of people I look after hit by this thing.

The attachment is called 'navidad'. The variant I had to deal with didn't do much damage just blew a few registry entries that prevent MS Win xx from running exes. Symantec's repair tool works well (or there are instructions to repair manually). NAV definitions dated after 13 Nov required to pick up this sucker.

------------------
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.

[edited for typo]

[This message has been edited by The Unteleported Man (edited 23 November 2000).]

R O Tiree
27th Nov 2000, 04:12
unteleported man - many thanks for the Symantec heads-up. Someone at work managed to allow this little monkey in (and if you're reading this, you know who you are!!).

Those nice folks at Symantec have provided very clear and complete instructions on how to rid yourself of this menace - ta Symantec :)

The Unteleported Man
27th Nov 2000, 15:24
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/icons/icon14.gif