PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Maintenance course

jax888
8th Aug 2008, 22:41
Hi

Wondering if anyone can help me... i am thinking of going to Bristol to study for the B1 license short course which will end up costing around £6k-7k and wondering if anyone has ever been on this course as am being told theres no point going and wasting money as all they do is give you notes and dont teach you anything. I am not working in this industry at the moment - do i need to be in this industry to study the course, i have a foundation degree in aircraft maintenance.

any help will be appreciated, thanks for your time :O

NutLoose
9th Aug 2008, 20:47
I do not know about Bristol, my sisters lad is at Newcastle doing his though.

mitzy69
10th Aug 2008, 14:35
can self study , and just pay to take the modules at CAA venues.
harder bit would be to get the hands on experience for the B1

jax888
11th Aug 2008, 17:36
thanks NutLoose and mitzy69 for reply...... i have considered self study but im not confident i ll pass the exams........ i want to try and get some experience in the industry but i dont know where to start..... i ve tried applying for airlines and maintenance companies however no one wants to train me as i dont have any previous experience......... should i try unpaid work????? do u know where i can apply for unpaid work???

MartinCh
11th Aug 2008, 21:42
Shouldn't you get part 66 theory credits after doing FdSc with Kingston Uni or directly with Newcastle?

Was that foundation degree with Glamorgan Uni or elsewhere?
If you have FdSc, there's fairly recent thread about getting job or place to study in aircraft eng. There's bunch of answers.

I checked out Kingston again after the posts and found out it's OK or better than I though. Just that one would probably have to do intro year, so after 3 years one would get FdSc instead of BSc like at Glam Uni. OTOH, they do offer BEng (which should be 'beng on' :}) as top-up after FdSc.

Why wouldn't you get hands-on experience when doing foundation degree in airmech? Isn't that a bit contradictory? Kingston work with most (maybe) major players in the field and Glam Uni do their BSc together with Barry College (ICAT) at Cardiff airport.

After all, shouldn't you know all the ins and outs having done FdSc already??

Exup
12th Aug 2008, 08:44
I know off a number of guys who have been to Bristol over the last couple of years & although they say that it is not the best course about they have all passed which is the objective at the end of the day. With regard to experience you can sit the course without it but your licence will not be issued until you can meet the CAA requirments. You can find these on the CAA website.