View Full Version : EASA Part M

Yoth
8th Aug 2008, 20:05
What is going on in the GA world as regards continuing airworthiness and the ARC? Part M subpart g/i/f and all that.
A local straw poll indicated a serious head in sand atittude. Is this me, or is this a national reaction? It all kicks in at the end of next month.

cambioso
8th Aug 2008, 21:37
Put your aircraft on the Manx reg (very easy, and cheap) and forget about this crazy part M!!
Get your crews from FAA, or JAA rated people, or "mix and match".
Such nice, sensible, practicable, supportive, motivated people to do business with...........
All they want to do is keep us flying......that's all - strange concept I know!!
JC

Wingletnut
8th Aug 2008, 21:43
Absolute nightmare, am knee deep in it at the moment and am getting quotes of up to £50k p.a. for a CAME, essentially as job always done by the maintenance organisation. Whatever next?!:confused:

G-SPOTs Lost
9th Aug 2008, 07:46
50K - What are you running a BBJ Fleet??

Im Manx registered and can only agree with Cambioso. Paperwork B**lsh1t, worrying over approvals,rejections due to not enough t's crossed or I's dotted or EASA...... Things of the past.

From TB20 to BBJ - 5 Times the forecast a/c registered in the first 12 months - what does that tell you....

Bus429
9th Aug 2008, 08:14
All.

EASA Opinion 02/2008 published a month or so ago suggests a grace period. If adopted by the EC, you could have up to 08/09 to implement. There have also been some suggested changes to ARC validations etc. Read this (http://www.easa.eu.int/ws_prod/g/rg_opinions_main.php#2008).

Yoth
9th Aug 2008, 14:50
Ref the grace period. I had a meeting with my local CAA surveyor at the end of last week and he stated that the grace period had been turned down. Everyone has had 2 years plus to sort it out, so there are no excuses and it will still be this year.
I reckon there are 14000 ga aircraft in the UK, are all of them going on the manx register?
Wingletnut, I have PM'd you.

His dudeness
9th Aug 2008, 16:47
Our MX shop has written the CAME for free (copy of the manufacturer programm plus national/RVSM/MNPS/etc requirements) and supervises us as an CAMO for roughly 5000€/Year. Additional cost is our mx -program (CESCOM - changing to CAMPS soon) - which we had anyway.

Had other offers in the range mentioned... some guys seem to try to make a quick penny ( or in my case, cent) Our Authority is currently drowning in applications - it might get very interesting closer to the deadline...

G-SPOTs Lost
9th Aug 2008, 17:15
I reckon there are 14000 ga aircraft in the UK, are all of them going on the manx register

Well those over 5700kg and less than 10 years old probably..........

Wingletnut
9th Aug 2008, 22:04
Also Manx reg's are no good for those of us on who want to charter unfortunately.....

NutLoose
10th Aug 2008, 02:06
Well the way it stands at the moment, you could get the CAA to issue the ARC yearly for the peanuts it currently costs, and a licenced engineer could sign off the aircraft on his licence, which is allowed for under the new system and ermm you would not need an approved organisation at all, as the CAA would be the people responsible for the issue of the ARC.... Now if everyone went that route the whole sorry system would collapse......... :cool:

Though they have realised this and I believe are trying to rectify it :mad:

robin
10th Aug 2008, 10:01
CAA will issue the ARC initially, but will up their charges for future issues.
They are 'snowing' owners with reminders to sign up with a CAMO, so it shows they want nothing to do with it and will price it accordingly

Yoth
10th Aug 2008, 10:44
CAA scheme of charges for ARC renewals/validations is here
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/229Airworthiness.pdf
check out pages 16 and 17 for what the CAA will charge for ARC renewal. The price quoted is just for the renewal, any further investigations will be charged at £187/hr.
The CAA don't have enough staff to be renewing ARC's, hence the reason why it is being put out to qualified individuals at approved organisations.

NutLoose
11th Aug 2008, 00:00
Ok read page 19 for under 2730 KG which is the small stuff

Ref. ARC Issues – Aircraft below 2,730 kg MTWA
Falling due after
27 September 2008
Col. 1 Column 2 Column 3
D
A direct application received by the CAA from the owner or
operator, or via a CAMO, of a helicopter or a powered lift (tilt
rotor) aircraft, the applicant shall pay:
£50 per 500 kg or part
thereof of the maximum
weight of the aircraft

That figure is EASA cast in stone, so if you have an engineer working on his EASA licence and certifying an Aircraft as we read it the CAA can only charge that a year for the ARC issue, which equates to about what you pay now....... now if you were in a controlled environment that would be waived for 2 years as you can extend it, BUT YOU WOULD have to pay the organisation charges for your company approvals..... and they get passed on to the customer in what is charged and it is THOUSANDS in total...
Take a look at how much it takes to approve an organisation...... on pages 23 ish....

So as it stands a Licenced Engineer with access to current manuals etc can certify the Aircraft on his EASA Licence and the CAA have to if you request carry out the ARC issue annually outside a controlled environment at the set rate........ thus you lose all the additional costs of the organisation again.... or in other words the "Man in a Van" which they were trying to get rid of is back.... and its their (EASA) own fault.
Now I am under no illusion this will not eventually be closed but as I see it, it is still open at the moment and I do know of companies thinking about it.

Between EASA and the CAA they have screwed Licences over so much that it one reason costs are going up, People are leaving engineering in droves and the replenishing from the Military has all but dried up, imagine being told you have to resit exams because we have changed the rules to the countries drivers........ well that's what they did to our Engineers, hence people walk to better paid occupations with less grief.