PDA

View Full Version : Psion Palmtops

piloteddy
22nd Nov 2000, 22:54
I'd like some advice please, if anyone would be so kind......

I'm looking to buy a palmtop to use at college, for flying, and other bits and bobs. Could anyone suggest which would be the best. I've seen and quite like the Revo, but if anyone could suggest any other types or makes, I would be very grateful.

Also if you could, i'd appreciate any info on good places to buy it.

Thanks for any help that you may give,

PilotEddy

Capt Ted Striker
23rd Nov 2000, 00:49
I use the Revo and now I wouldn't be without it.
The keyboard is excellent and above all usable.
I got mine from Palmtops direct for what was at the time an excellent price.
The new one has much more memory too.
Good luck! e-mail me if you want to know anything more.

Mzee
23rd Nov 2000, 23:29
I use the 5mx very good it is too. It can be extensively programmed but I use the built-in stuff and have come up with a number of useful spreadsheets that answer Q's like It's 28degC at Sion, 8 pax turn up and loads of baggage can you get enough fuel in to get you back to UK in a 125? Can it be done?
The data base is great, full of A/field data (important stuff like hotels, pubs and eateries!)
Does Emails, faxes & SMS without hassle - needs a mobile (preferably IR) with inbuilt modem. Has a back-lit screen and the lot runs on 2xAA that last roughly a month. Go play!!

piloteddy
24th Nov 2000, 01:51
Capt. Ted and Mzee:

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

PilotEddy.

paco
28th Nov 2000, 05:08
If it's any help - I've tried them all from the newt to the Jornada and I still use a Psion 3a - because of the spreadsheet on which I do C of G, like other people here. Also, it uses standard batteries (newer machines use rechargeables and you can't always get that done, especially in the Arctic) and the database will take any field you throw at it. Apart from the Newt, it's the only one that my data has been rock solid in.

Phil

piloteddy
28th Nov 2000, 22:14
Thanks Paco.

PilotEddy

Seat 32F
1st Dec 2000, 17:11
I've had Psion 3, 3a, 5, & 5mx. Wouldn't be without a Psion even though each one has given up the ghost on me after about a year for one reason or another. So my advice is that if you use one, you definitely should make regular backup copy of your important data, much more so than with a PC.

BOAC
2nd Dec 2000, 03:02
Mzee, any chance of an email exchange on 5mx/I/R faxing? Having trouble with a Nokia7110/5MX
TIA

Hang On, I'm Busy
6th Dec 2000, 05:49
Ted,

Used a Psion 5 at uni to good effect. Write notes/essays at beach/pub/airfield then put them back on yr PC ast home. I don't think a keyboard much smaller than a S5 would work for proper stuff. Also, aklthough a gimmick, the dictaphone is very handy, especially for library ref.s, and phone numbers etc in aforementioned pub...

Also feels a lot more solid than a Revo, and you can change the batteries if they go flat when you're away.

Don't buy a 5mx, however, buy an Ericsson mc218, which is exactly the same (even made by Psion), but has ****loads more software, a WAP browser etc, and is generally a more sorted thing. And cheaper too. Got mine from <A HREF="http://www.exportech.com" TARGET="_blank">www.exportech.com</A> in Bournemouth.

You also need a good case - Palmtec.com for these.

Hope this helps.

piloteddy
6th Dec 2000, 23:19
Cheers guys/gals

Thanks for all of your help,

Merry Christmas to you all.

http://www.gograph.com/Images-7298/AnimatedGif/R-44_helicopter.gif

PilotEddy

[This message has been edited by piloteddy (edited 06 December 2000).]

Hang On, I'm Busy
9th Dec 2000, 05:21
It's not Christmas yet.

Christmas starts on Christmas Eve, and continues for 12 days. Then it stops. It doesn't start until Christmas Eve the next year.

Computers are difficult, but this is easy. It is not Christmas yet.

But thank you anyway Ted, and a good one yersel.