PDA

View Full Version : Georgia shoots down two Russian warplanes

er340790
8th Aug 2008, 12:32
This is scary stuff....... Putin is not one to play high-stakes poker with.

Georgia 'downs two Russian warplanes' as countries move to brink of war - Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4485527.ece)

Selfloading
8th Aug 2008, 13:23
You are right, that is scary, don't like the look of it at all :bored:

Avitor
8th Aug 2008, 13:35
I hope the boy Miliband has the sense to moderate his comments, he has done sufficient lately to antagonise the Bear.

We probaly have enough on our agenda with Afghanistn and Iraq. :cool:

frostbite
8th Aug 2008, 15:02
Bet the first slot on the news will still be given to the Olympics.

tony draper
8th Aug 2008, 15:07
We should keep our noses out of it,we have a record of backing the wrong side in world wars.:E

SXB
8th Aug 2008, 17:45
I've spent quite a lot of time in Georgia over the last few years and this has been brewing for a long time. What's happened is precisely why some nato members vetoed Georgia's membership recently.

I can't help, thinking that the Georgian government has purposefully provoked the Russians into invading what is, technically, part of Georgia. Whatever happens now Russia has invaded one of it's neighbours. Georgia knows full well that they have zero chance of success in a military confrontation with the Russians but they will now go to the UN and claim the moral high ground. I think the Russians have miscalculated on this occasion.

con-pilot
8th Aug 2008, 17:48
Right now I believe that is issue, or military action, is the most serious thing occurring in the world today. I could be wrong, I hope so.

Now, I must admit I'm a little confused here. The people in South Ossetia, where the fighting is ongoing, are they wanting to form a separate independent country or rejoin Russia? According to most of the reports I am seeing the vast majority of the citizens of South Ossetia consider themselves Russian, not Georgian.

Now, as for this statement;

"In accordance with the constitution and the federal law, I, as president of Russia, am obliged to protect the lives and dignity of Russian citizens wherever they are located," Mr Medvedev said. "We won’t allow the death of our compatriots to go unpunished."

Is that not similar to what Hitler used for an excuse in 1938?

SXB
8th Aug 2008, 18:07
Con-pilot
The objective of South Ossetia is to be re-united with North Ossetia, though they would also take independence, as they have unilaterally declared some time ago. They are ethnically different from Georgia proper.

This is very much a regional conflict and will not suck in anyone else, they just aren't interested. That whole region is a tinderbox of tension and violence, both northern Georgia and Southern Russian are so lawless that you can only appreciate if you've been there. There are conflicts everywhere in that part of the world, you have the tension between Yerevan and Baku, probably will end in war within 18 months. You also have the Armenia/Turkey problem, then there's Iran just a few hundred k's south. The whole South Caucasus area is just a war waiting to happen and the Americans and Europeans are not interested in getting involved, they'll stick at the "partnership for peace" sponsored by the Americans inn Georgia, there's no way they'll get involved.

Edited to say the Russians have been preparing for this for a while, over the last few years they've been giving South Ossetians Russian passports. The plight of ethnic Russians is present all over the old Soviet Union, in some countries they are persecuted because they are Russian but through no fault of their own.

con-pilot
8th Aug 2008, 18:16
Thank you SXB, let us hope that is stays only regional. There are currently 126 US Army personnel in Georgia training Georgian Army Forces for operations in Afghanistan. I have heard on the News just a few minutes ago that the US Forces there have been ordered to remain in their quarters, keep their heads down and not to participate in any action.

SXB
8th Aug 2008, 18:23
Con-air
Have sunk quite a few beers with US military personnel in Tbilisi over the years, normally in a place called the Hangar Bar, run by an American service woman (Rebecca I believe) who decided to stay, great place for a beer if you're ever passing through Tbilisi.

brickhistory
8th Aug 2008, 18:46
Interesting that this occurs on the same day.

U.S. light crude oil for September delivery slumped $3.61 to $116.41 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange, hitting three-month lows.

I would have thought the opposite would result.

And I hope I don't jinx it.

G-CPTN
8th Aug 2008, 19:50
Russia says 12 of its soldiers are dead, and separatists estimate that 1,400 civilians have died.
(From:- BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Russian forces battle Georgians (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7550354.stm) )

arcniz
8th Aug 2008, 21:39
Being a separatist is hardly a bed of roses.

Rollingthunder
8th Aug 2008, 21:45
Did they use SAMs?

Were they built in Russia?

If so, not so good counter-measures.

G-CPTN
8th Aug 2008, 21:48
Doesn't avoidance of SAMs require 'creative' input (or at least response) from the human pilot(s)?

tony draper
8th Aug 2008, 21:50
You mean one of the roses wants to be a buttonhole?:uhoh:
Summat I learned a long time ago in the school yard,if you wish to ally yourself to one side or another in a brawl ,pick the side with the biggest lads.
:E

kenhughes
8th Aug 2008, 22:52
I hear that when George Dubya was told the news, he ordered extra troops into Atlanta. :ok: