PDA

View Full Version : Don't lie on the beach at Empuriabrava

OFSO
8th Aug 2008, 12:12
Because there are no tides in the Mediterranian to clean the beaches, huge machines (think "Matrix" human-harvesters) with spiky rollers and vacuum-cleaner-giganticus and a sand-smoothing mechanism on the back troll up and down the beaches here several times a day to keep 'em spotless. It is quite a sight.

Especially when you are lying there sunbathing. Unless you have your eyes shut....

Visibility from the driver's seat of the sand-cleaner machines is restricted, or so they are claiming in Castello d'Empurias Town Council, which has responsibility for the Empuriabrava beach (Province Girona, Spain).

As one poor bikini-clad lady now fighting for her life in hospital now knows after one drove right over her this week.

Lon More
8th Aug 2008, 12:20
Shouldn't that read, ".... after Juan drove over her ....' ??

sorry

Hat, coat, door

airship
8th Aug 2008, 12:53
Because there are no tides in the Mediterranian... Oh yes there are, they're not of the same amplitude that those living around the English Channel or North Sea or Whangarei experience, but they do exist...

And if someone was injured by one of those contraptions which cost more than a new Ferrari and that our local taxes pays for (most of the 'benefits' of all these tourists ends up in the pockets of the hotelliers, restauranteurs etc. who are well-known, at least here in France, to never officially declare their true earnings when their services have been paid for in cash... :rolleyes: ), the driver had probably just stumbled out of the nightclub adjacent to the beach in time to start his working day. Not many police about that early in the morning. Hope they breathylised the driver...? They did, didn't they...?! :ugh:

OFSO
8th Aug 2008, 13:56
Shouldn't that read, ".... after Juan drove over her ....' ??

Only if he was a foreigner, i.e. Spanish. If he was Catalan it would have been Joan.

And if it was Mohammed or Raschid, he would absolutely NOT have had a hang-over, one of the good things about our friends from Afriky.

airship
8th Aug 2008, 14:04
And if it was Mohammed or Raschid, he would absolutely NOT have had a hang-over, one of the good things about our friends from Afriky. That would be true for the 1st generation. By the time the 2nd generation of immigrants have grown up, they expect a whole lot of other stuff from their adopted country, and sadly, have fallen victim to many of its' freedoms... :ok: but still :sad: all the same.

tony draper
8th Aug 2008, 14:13
Hmmm, our Constabulary could purchase one of they machines to deal with renta crowd when they do lie down in the road protests outside power stations and such.
:)

airship
8th Aug 2008, 14:33
Will you stand by that when it's the French EDF wanting to build a new nuclear reactor on UK holy soil at some stage in future though...?! ;)

bar fly
8th Aug 2008, 15:03
Don't lie on the beach at Empuriabrava

I take it these machines are very noisy and very slow?

I would therefore say 'Don't get pissed and pass out on the beach at Empuriabrava'....:uhoh:

tony draper
8th Aug 2008, 15:09
Yer I would certainly allow yon French to build a nuclear power station on our soil ,then I would just take it off em like we used to do.
:rolleyes:

OFSO
9th Aug 2008, 09:05
if it was Mohammed or Raschid, he would absolutely NOT have had a hang-over
Aahh, OFSO, you should have a look at Dubai or Bahrain, especially on Thursday night when the Saudis arrive to party :ooh:

Putting on my Serious Hat (a rare thing for me to do) whenever we have work done on our house here in Catalunia, and the firms (we use English-owned local builders and painters) send their Moroccan workers up, we get a first-rate high quality job done by polite friendly guys who are punctual, work long hours and always sober. That's what I base my comments on ! 'cos the Maroccans who have done building, tiling and painting work for us have been true ambassadors for their country.

Uh-uh, am I that being racist and non-PC, praising N. Africans ?

El Grifo
9th Aug 2008, 10:54
Funny you should mention that OFSO.

In my part of the world the skills of our Moroccan friends lie in an altogether different area.

House content removal.

In the last three years they have exercised their skills thrice on my house alone.

They also seem to prefer night shift.

PS. I have the documents to back this up. Not racist, FACT ! :suspect:

OFSO
9th Aug 2008, 13:46
"In my part of the world the skills of our Moroccan friends lie in an altogether different area.

House content removal.

In the last three years they have exercised their skills thrice on my house alone."

Up this end of the Iberian Peninsular it's the Rumanians, Chechnians and South American gangs you have to watch. Robberies on the autopiste between La Jonquera and Barcelona seem to have South Americans as perpetrators; house and street robberies are the provenence of East Europeans. (Source: "El Punt" and TV-3).

Local newsagent/tobaccanist on way to bank in Castello d'Empurias last week had her car sandwiched by two cars of Chechnians, attempted to grab her takings. Acquaintance doing a cash deal on house sale had case grabbed by Russians. Every week something new, but all the Maroccan crime seems to be macheteing each other !

sisemen
9th Aug 2008, 13:56
with spiky rollers

As one poor bikini-clad lady now fighting for her life in hospital now knows after one drove right over her this week.

She was probably lying on the beach dreaming of having a pr**k in her.

Be careful - might just get what you're dreaming about. :}

Alright, fair enough - even I'm put out by the "out of place" humour.