PDA

View Full Version : If I win the lottery......

JagRigger
8th Aug 2008, 10:39
Sale by Tender - 15 Tucano MK1 Aircraft. (http://www.edisposals.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Disposals-Public-Site/en_US/-/GBP/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=MieqQ4wkQg8000ArvQ_8K1sp0000xmdpL78c?ProductUUID= ccXAqBELPfwAAAEboR4ELZOC&CatalogCategoryID=uW7AqBELbsEAAAD_vUBpc4dn&JumpTo=OfferList) The Disposal Services Authority (DSA) would like to bring to your attention, the sale by Competitive Tender of 15 fully active Tucano MK1 aircraft.

Spam_UK
8th Aug 2008, 11:00
On a slight (or definite) thread creep. Some of us were discussing last time we were in the gulf, just how much money would you have to win on the lottery before you'd consider leaving the forces?

Satellite_Driver
8th Aug 2008, 11:03
"The purchaser will need to be approved under BCAR Section A, Chapter A8-20, Group M5 or National Equivalent."

I suspect that this is HMGspeak for 'megalomaniacs with island fortresses and a penchant for fluffy white cats need not apply.'

NutLoose
8th Aug 2008, 11:06
A8 is the requirement to maintain old Military Junk...sorry Hardware

The Helpful Stacker
8th Aug 2008, 11:23
I suspect that this is HMGspeak for 'megalomaniacs with island fortresses and a penchant for fluffy white cats need not apply.'

http://zerotosixty.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/medium_dr_evil_1.jpg
"I want Tucanos with fricking laser beams on their noses."

advocatusDIABOLI
8th Aug 2008, 12:20
15 Used 'TinCans'..... Hmmm lets see, Oh I've got £45 in my wallet, I might give them a call!!!! :}

Advo

taxydual
8th Aug 2008, 13:57
OK, stupid question.

Is it possible to fit an Air to Ground package to the Tucano to give it a COIN capability?

If so, why aren't we doing it? The debate was to do with 'sandy places'.

There's no deep thought in this at all. Just some 'old armchairs' (having taken drink), pontificating.

Thoughts anyone?

4mastacker
8th Aug 2008, 13:57
How much do they charge for P & P??

VP8
8th Aug 2008, 14:41
Do they take Paypal:ok:

Veeps

XV277
8th Aug 2008, 14:47
OK, stupid question.

Is it possible to fit an Air to Ground package to the Tucano to give it a COIN capability?

I believe the Kenyan aircraft had this as an option (and of course the original Brazilian versions). However, IIRC the total stores capacity was in the order of 1000lb

If so, why aren't we doing it? The debate was to do with 'sandy places'.

I think the fact these sandy places are usually hot and/or high would mitigate against them. That and the small stores capacity.

Gainesy
8th Aug 2008, 14:49
AT-27 Super Tucano

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_AT-27_Super_Tucano_lg.jpg

Melchett01
8th Aug 2008, 15:40

Yep, the Brazilians have done it - designated the AT-27 and bought 133 of them. Believe it is for keeping the 'spear chuckers' of the Amazon basin under control / COIN, general security and patrol duties.

Looking at the Embraer website, they have now developed the A-29 attack version of the Super Tucano complete with FLIR, DAS, HOTAS, attack systems etc.

And don't be so silly .... why would we need something like that in our inventory. What good would that do against the Ruskies coming over the North Cape :\

The Helpful Stacker
8th Aug 2008, 15:41
I believe this shows Tucanos with teeth.

YouTube - Chasing & Shooting Down a Drug Smuggling Plane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvJhhJEPox8)

advocatusDIABOLI
8th Aug 2008, 17:31
Oh Please..........:ugh:

Advo

scarecrow450
8th Aug 2008, 18:40
Belive they come engineless ?

NutLoose
8th Aug 2008, 18:41

It's the Governments lack of coin that is the reason they are selling off the things in the first place...

Evalu8ter
8th Aug 2008, 19:08
I don't think our Tin Cans can be A-G fitted. Many moons ago, during one of my holds, I took a group of DESO staff through the Lamella hangars at Shawbury. Among the Wetdreams, Cranberries and Hawks there were a large number of Tin Cans. When we suggested selling them to a third world dictator the DESO smiled wryly and said that we'd deliberately ordered Tucanos sans hardpoints to save cost, weight, fatigue (how ironic...) and possibly as an exemption from the CFE treaty. He said that we could have sold the whole lot three times over if they were weapons capable - at the time the UK Tucs with the Garrett were a lot punchier "hot and high" than the PT-6 versions.

Apparantly you could re-wing them, but the cost is prohibitive.

taxydual
8th Aug 2008, 19:55
Thanks for the replies chaps.

Unfortunatley, the duty Tin Can QFI has just left the 'armchairs' and has had to go home (albeit immune to pain due to Australian Red Wine and Pizza ), but having to come up with a better explanation to his C in C Home Command as to why he binned the the annual hols.

Also, the dozy pratt has let the said C in C know his Login and Password to this site.

If you are reading this, Millie, it wasn't our fault.

Whoops.

T, C, McD, E, L and S :uhoh::uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

Double Zero
9th Aug 2008, 02:32
" lack of hardpoints & forethought " - that rings a belll, and is the reason why our own Hawks are the worst, most pitifully fitted out examples of the design going, compared to those exported around the world.

There was a bright side though in those days, when chief designer Gordon Hodgson & others convinced the Govt. of the time to allow potential for export features, such as countermeasures fitted tail, drag landing chute, RWR, wet pylons, 4 pylons + centreline 30mm Aden, and eventuallly the 100 series with FLIR or other choices, or indeed 200 series radar equipped agile single seat fighter - all devopled at Dunsfold despite what Wart On would have one believe...

The Hawk as offered now with a training " I'm here, I'm a Mig 29 etc " transponder is a poor use of the aicraft's virtues, in a 'real war' it would fid itself fully fitted with warlike kit - I photographed them then carrying Sea Eagle & Skyflash for a start, though launch velocity & external weapons guidance are another issue, at least for U.K Hawks.

I would have thought the Tucano easy meat for, say, Columbian drug types; for a start, a turboprop is rarely 'stealthy' in approach to target...