PDA

View Full Version : 727-200Cargo Airline going to MSG-3

beijingbob1hitman1
8th Aug 2008, 07:55
Does anybody out there know if an airline buys 727-200 aircraft and puts them under MSG-3 maintenance program with a bridging B check. How does the MSG-3 maintenance program work?
I really need some help with this one. I have looked all over the Internet and cannot find any solid answers. I know about MSI,SSI, etc., but can't find out much more. :confused:

Rigga
8th Aug 2008, 20:56
Try this Link:-

MSG-3, The Intelligent Maintenance - November 2000 Issue - (Aircraft Maintenance Technology) (http://www.amtonline.com/publication/article.jsp?pubId=1&id=1039)

Its about seven or eight pages long - but might explain how the philosphy works.

BigJoeRice
8th Aug 2008, 22:08
I'm always willing to learn, but I didn't think you could apply an MSG3 based maintenance program to an MSG 2 designed aircraft. My understanding was that an MSG 3 aircraft was analyzed for structural and reliability capability in relational to failure modes and their effect on continued safe operation.

An MSG 2 aircraft with components and structures built around hard times and condition monitoring etc rather than reliability driven maintenance and inspection models, could be inadequately inspected because many of the components and structures were not designed for the MSG 3 style of capability maintenance.

If there was some way to do it, I'd be amazed if you could accomplish it via a lower level check like B check. I'd have thought a C or even a D plus SSID and AD's etc would have been more the order of business.

I'm betting there's a maintenance program PPruner somewhere out there with the answer....

mary_hinge
9th Aug 2008, 21:20
They can be bridged, but usualy at a "D" check input. Several VIP operated aircraft are on the Boeing LUMP Programme, using MSG3 This puts the "C" checks at 24 month. Aircraft are VP-B or VP-C registered. An example:
Boeing 727 aircraft: 1971 Boeing 727 for sale on the Aircraft Exchange (http://www.globalair.com/aircraft_for_sale/Commercial_Aircraft/Boeing_Aerospace/Boeing__727_for_sale_49243.html)

MAINTENANCE PROGRAM:
The aircraft has a full Boeing CPCP program defined in the Maintenance Schedule and is fully compliant. The aircraft has been operating under the standard Boeing Low Utilization program and has been transitioned to the new MSG-3 Boeing Low Utilization program under which the C checks are performed at 24 month intervals.

CIAS
22nd Aug 2008, 05:24
Theres way more to MSG-3 than bridging at a convenient interval (it ain't B check) and then going flying at lower maintenance costs and higher reliability, especially with any Classic MSG-2 aircraft. MSG-3 is a good option for a high utilization operator and was originally contemplated for such, not VIP ops. In addition to program approval and solid bridging, operators require reliabilty programs that do more than report on last months failures and ops departments that can write up defects on something other than the last sector of the day while turning final into the main base.

A successful B727 operator in British Columbia has accomplished this with good reliabilty numbers and reduced costs but it wasn't easy or cheap.