PDA

View Full Version : 2D/3D

askcv
31st Jan 2001, 03:35
Can anyone help please:
I have a SIS chip for the video control and it is listed as both 2D and 3D. The problem is that games that need 3D do not work properly, and I have to set them up for 2D operation, low resolution. Some games do not have this option, and so they just won't work. Never mind that the box the games come in still say the minimum requirements are for Pentium 75, 16Mb RAM, WIndows 3, and such garbarge. No mention of graphics.
How can I check whether the chip is working as 3D or not? If it is not, is it possible to change the driver or settings to make it work 3D?
I thought I would replace it with another graphics insert, via the PCI slot (Where the current one is installed I think (haven't got around to pulling the case apart yet- the kids won't let me at it), but all the graphics boxes I see in the store are also labeled 2D/3D so I am a little wary of getting into the same problem.

Specaircrew
31st Jan 2001, 18:14
Run the Direct X Diagnotic Tool from Accessories/System Tools/System Information and make sure it passes the Direct 3D hardware test.

R O Tiree
31st Jan 2001, 21:04
askcv - you haven't told us what you have in your beige box of tricks. It might not be worth shelling out 100 or so notes on a spangly new video card, if you've only got a Pentium 200 MHz and 32Mb RAM - it would have the same effect as putting twin Webers in a Robin Reliant, ie not a lot. (Read something like a Hyundai Compact in USA)

If, on the other hand, you've bought it recently and been ripped off by a box mover who has put cheapo parts into an otherwise high spec machine, then it would definitely be worth it. Putting a cheap, sh!tty video card in would be like disabling the turbo in a Ferrari. Looks good, but not giving its best performance.

BTW, if you did buy the machine recently, and you made it plain at the time of ordering that you wanted to be able to play games on on it, you MIGHT wish to press to test. Here in UK, we have a clause in our "Sale of Goods Act" about "Goods not of merchantable quality", ie, they can't do what they're supposed to be able to do. I'm sure you have similar if not more stringent consumer protection laws to ours. For example, if you ordered a joystick with it, it's pretty bleedin' obvious you wanted to play games.

Back to the question, then, post brief details of your system spec, and more worthwhile advice will no doubt wing its way to you from the members of ABCLP (Arcane Brotherhood of Computer-Literate PPRuNers) :)

askcv
2nd Feb 2001, 10:17
Its a 400 MHz PIII with 64 Mb RAM and the usual bells and whistles, but I gave it to the kids. It has been working well for a long time (still is, apart from not running some games, and that is all they use it for (kids are 10yr and less)).
Trouble is I cannot find the books that came with it. I have the driver disk and thats all.

SR-71
6th Feb 2001, 21:02
Agree very much with R O Tiree. Your machine is fairly well up to spec and should run most of the new games although not hires/32bit colour but it probably would be worth buying a new video card (it may just not have enough memory for new games). I wouldn't shell out a fortune but should look out for old stock of a Voodoo 3xxx or newer. Hopefully U could get a nice discount for a discontinued line. Not worth getting new Voodoo 5500 as it is very pricey even for the performance. Also make sure you get PCI bus and not AGP. Look to spend about £100. Should get a good compromise for that. Hope this is usefull.

------------------
ICQ# 91029795

askcv
8th Feb 2001, 14:13
Thanx for the help, looking forward to trying it out.