PDA

View Full Version : Network connection to single ADSL modem

Bear Cub
20th Nov 2000, 08:28
I'm struggling with the decision as to taking out a contract with the local DSL high speed internet access company.

All their adverts make it clear that the hardware (an ADSL modem) does not support networks.

I asked them why and their response was that they supply a single modem that connects to the PC via a USB connection or internal card (if no USB ports available).

Having said (and understood) the above - I am happily running a network of two desktops and an intermittent laptop - that is controlled by Windows Millennium.

Windows ME seems to offer the choice of sharing the internet connection offered by a single machine across the entire network.

Have I got this right? Do we think it will work? Anybody done it?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

Narada
21st Nov 2000, 06:40
Yes. You should be able to configure the network internally still using only one IP address from outside. There are several configurations possible. Your ISP may not provide you any help, but there is help in several websites. You should be somewhat technically inclined to do this yourself - but it seems like you are, since you are already running a small network at home. The exact steps will depend on your DSL modem and how you connect it to the computer/hub. Read a few websites before making a decision though. At worst, you may have to get another network card (2 NICs in the computer that connects to the DSL modem), but those are cheap.

(Search terms are "home network DSL" "DSL network help" and you can think up a few more.)

[This message has been edited by Narada (edited 21 November 2000).]

ExSimGuy
22nd Nov 2000, 18:26
We have used "DirectPC" (a one-way satellite connection that uses an internal card) on our small company network. I think the only problem our computer-chappie had was an incompatibility between the NIC and the DirectPC card - solved by fitting a different brand of NIC

------------------
---- "Per Ardua ad Mixas" ----
(Through hardship to the bars) (at the Thistle!)

[This message has been edited by ExSimGuy (edited 22 November 2000).]

Bear Cub
23rd Nov 2000, 08:42
ExSim....Per Ardua ad Grizzlies

(Through hardship to the Bears)

ExSimGuy
23rd Nov 2000, 10:16
Cub, sorry to see you're not going to be there.

(p'raps not, you might have brought the shotgun :) )

------------------
---- "Per Ardua ad Mixas" ----
(Through hardship to the bars)