PDA

View Full Version : Broken Hill and The Qantas MindSet.

Sunfish
7th Aug 2008, 21:34
I've been wondering for a while why a Miner is Chairman of Qantas. It doesn't seem to make sense, at least one of the other Directors appointment doesn't make sense either. In addition, not one of the Directors comes from an organisation that had, as it's defining competency, excellence in delivering customer service to the General Public, with the possible exception of Mr. Strong, former Chairman of Woolworths, although I note he is a lawyer, not a former store manager or checkout chick.

The thing that concerns me about having a miner in charge, is that as far as I can tell, miining is all about recovering ore from mines, at the minimum possible cost. True, mine safety is generally impeccable, and I'm sure the Chairman is solidly behind a safety culture. However if you want to see how mining leaves an area, visit Broken Hill. Vast fortunes were made from it's mines, but even today, the mine investors put nothing back into what became the Broken Hill community.

If you want a comparison, look at the architecture and facilities in Bendigo and Ballarat - the miners put a lot back into the community, not so at Broken Hill. It sounds to me that the same thing is happening at QF. The company will make just enough investment to extract (mine) as much money as they can from customers pockets, and not one cent more. Forget Customer service, QF is a mining environment, or a fine screen money sieve.

Where is there anyone on the Board who knows or cares anything about Customer service? There is also another person there whose presence on the Board would prevent me from ever being employed by Qantas in any capacity.

HANOI
8th Aug 2008, 02:15
What a load of absolute drivel , and this from someone who claims to have an MBA and goes to a yacht club.
Good on the mysterious Board member who would inhibit your employment with QF although I think this is yet another example of your monstrously delusional sense of your own self importance.
BTW , James Strong was also CEO of Qantas !.

Yusef Danet
8th Aug 2008, 05:56
Ah, Gove, where the mine PR chap rolled a car full of VIP visitors on a dirt road in the (I think 60s) what what his name again, Geoff something....

thosecotos
8th Aug 2008, 10:20
What's with the Miner bashing? Ansett people were always complaining about the same sort of money 'extraction' from its veritable cash cow. Assuming it was true, I can't recall Rupert ever being a Mining boss?

We can always see whatever we want to see, but that is a very weak comment...not one of your best posts 'fish.

Transition Layer
8th Aug 2008, 10:49
Qantas (as any business) is about making money...something RIO were very very good at under Clifford.

I don't see what the big deal is? Damn sight better than Auntie Marg.

Sunfish
10th Aug 2008, 00:06
Hanoi, what would you know about anything?