PDA

View Full Version : Regular disconnections.

InFinRetirement
18th Nov 2000, 11:24
Has anyone had experience of irriating regular disconnections? I have just had a dedicated line installed and I got disconnected 6 times on the 15th, 3 times on the 16th and 6 on the 17th (3 after 30 mins and 3 after 1:03). The latter is most curious because they were all to the second.

BT have tested the line and assure me that the line is perfectly OK. And my ISP says that it is not them. I have the same modem I had on my other line and it was always OK.

Any ideas please?

R O Tiree
18th Nov 2000, 12:13
Have you got Call Waiting enabled? Call Waiting momentarily breaks the connection to make your phone beep/ring whatever when someone else is trying to ring you. The modem hangs up in disgust.

Swap to the original line, as that one worked OK?

Capt Ted Striker
18th Nov 2000, 16:13
I've had this problem twice. On both occasions it was the modem. The worst offenders appear to be generic internal types.

spannersatcx
18th Nov 2000, 20:37
When you say a dedicated line did BT actually install a 2nd line or did they use a dax box if they used a dax box which basically splits a copper wire in 2 this is the problem.

InFinRetirement
20th Nov 2000, 00:20
Thanks guys! Found the culprit - it is the ISP IGClick. They are pulling the plug at 30 mins and 1hr. They are adamant they are not but there are too many complaining about the same thing.

They don't answer e-mails and they don't answer the phone and their e-mail server keeps going down.

Funny thing is, they are better today - well at least, so far!

Blacksheep
20th Nov 2000, 19:09
30 minutes before a disconnect? Sounds like heaven. Thank your stars that you aren't forced to use the infamous State monopoly called Brunet :)

Its not the disconnects that are so hard to live with, its the 10 minutes of auto-redialling to get reconnected that gets up our noses.

Through difficulties to the cinema

The Invisible Man
23rd Nov 2000, 19:53
Check and clean the phone adaptors. Not had a disconnect since cleaning. Went through the same contacting BT, checking the line etc. Cleaning did it for me.