PDA

View Full Version : Noisey Brown wheelie bin

BigEndBob
7th Aug 2008, 18:58
Council have just delivered a nice new brown wheelie bin.

Haven't got a clue whats suppost to go in it.

But am intrigued by the "89dB" and the picture of a loudspeaker with sound waves coming out of it moulded into the lid.

No its not fitted with an alarm that goes off if i put the wrong stuff in or leave the lid open. So whats that all about?

Would make a good big bass unit?

tony draper
7th Aug 2008, 19:06
Prolly the noise it makes if you slam the lid down,were it made in Germany? all the wheely bins round here seem to be,apparently we must be incapable of building a wheely bin in this country ,dunno why we bothered winning that feckin war.:suspect:
:rolleyes:

Farrell
7th Aug 2008, 19:13
It all comes down to Directive 2000/14/EC, which is a gift to the ‘citizens’ of the European Community, from the European Community. Not strictly a gift, since we have clearly paid through the nose for it, but you should never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Directive 2004/14/EC is all about making sure the aforementioned citizens are able to know how noisy their ‘outdoor equipment’ is, and in some cases restricting how noisy it is allowed to be. This is obviously not a bad idea - for example, when purchasing a lawnmower, it’s handy to know in advance if it will cause permanent hearing damage. However, one item that some euro-clown decided to include in this list of outdoor equipment is the “mobile waste container”.

A “mobile waste container” is defined in Annex 1 of the Directive as “an appropriate designed container fitted with wheels intended to store waste temporarily, and which is equipped with a cover.” Ignoring the confusion over whether we’re talking about storing the waste in the wheels, this clearly includes wheelie bins.

I know there are people out there who are fed up with being awoken by noisy wheelie bins. That’s tough, I’m afraid, because “mobile waste containers” do not fall under Article 12 of the directive, which would limit the noise they could make. They fall under Article 13, i.e. they can be as loud as you damn well like, so long as they have a label saying so.

But how do you measure the loudness of a wheelie bin? This is where it gets interesting. I won’t go into the full details here - for that you’ll have to read Annex 2, section 39 of the directive, and I recommend you do, it’s comic genius. I will give a brief layman’s guide though:

Don your white coat and set up six microphones in the proscribed manner.
Empty your wheelie bin

Stand behind the bin, lift the lid until it’s vertical and drop it shut. DO NOT slam it. DO NOT move a muscle until it has closed. Do this 20 times. You may, if you really have to, move a bit in order to reach the lid to open it in between drops.

Open the lid right up until it’s horizontal, then drop it against the body of the bin. Do this 20 times as well.

Build an ‘artificial test track’ out of steel, following the detailed instructions provided.
Pull your wheelie bin along the test track. You only have to do this 6 times - 3 in each direction.
Average out your readings.

Now you know how loud your wheelie bin is. Remember, it doesn’t matter how loud - just put it on the sticker, and everything is hunky dory.

If you can be bothered, there is another gem lurking in the Directive - bottle banks. I highly recommend it - Annex 2, section 22 gives the testing procedure, but make sure you have your 120 bottles ready.

True wheelie bin geeks can find more information on that in Article 3 section (d), or indeed by referring to ISO 3744:1995.

BigEndBob
7th Aug 2008, 19:19
All well and good, but will the lid be still attached after six months or will it break off as it did on my green bin.

Still waiting for the day they refuse to empty it because the lid is not closed, i.e. missing.

tony draper
7th Aug 2008, 19:22
Tell all the neighbors to paint the new brown bins green that'll feckem.:)

G-CPTN
7th Aug 2008, 19:38
Our green bins are for landfill rubbish.
The black one is for (selected) recyclable materials . . .

(No yoghurt pots, margarine tubs, cling film, cardboard, foil and foil trays, glass, bubble wrap, plastic carrier bags and sacks, polystyrene, foam . . . )

tony draper
7th Aug 2008, 19:49
I refuse to play their game, I recycle nothing and try my best to increase my carbon footprint with each passing day.
:uhoh::rolleyes:

spekesoftly
7th Aug 2008, 20:42
You may think it's just a humble brown bin, but it's actually an electronic spying device. Have a look under the front lip, and you'll probably find a black disc marked 'World Tag' containing a RFID transponder.
On discovering this, most people exclaim at about 89db! :ooh:

PaperTiger
7th Aug 2008, 20:46
for that you’ll have to read Annex 2, section 39 of the directive, and I recommend you do, it’s comic genius.Indeed it is, sheer brilliance.

Section 40 (Motor Hoes) is, by way of contrast, devoid of any semblance of humour. "The tool shall be disconnected during measurement" it says. That'd be about 0dB then.

BlueWolf
7th Aug 2008, 21:09
Not very enviro-friendly, is it, making wheelie bins out of plastic. They should be made of wood, or pottery, or suchlike.

tony draper
7th Aug 2008, 21:17
No they should be made out of the compressed ash of all who suck at the EU tit, after we have burned em all of course.
:suspect:

G-CPTN
7th Aug 2008, 21:24
The true recycled material is the stuff that the East Germans used to make Trabant bodies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duroplast).

Edited to add that I worked for a company that manufactured a product using cotton waste from the Lancashire Mills. In time the cost of the ingredient suddenly rose from its initial 'insignificant' price (it was a by-product of their industry) to a seriously expensive level. On contacting the supplier, they confessed that the process that produced this 'waste' had been discontinued a decade previously, but, in order to fulfil our orders, workers had been 'making' this waste (at considerable cost to themselves) but they had continued to honour the original price.
An internal audit had eventually uncovered the loss that they had been enduring over the previous ten years and the bean-counters insisted that the price was raised to cover their costs.
We, meanwhile had been incorporating this cotton waste as a 'filler' merely because it was available cheaply as a by-product . . . :ugh:

We stopped ordering it and they were pleased to cease supplying it. We found an alternative material to use as filler.

reynoldsno1
7th Aug 2008, 21:51
I'm always amazed that one of the supposedly richest countries in the world is now incapable of collecting its citizens' rubbish once a week - and in the case of the Purbeck District Council, incapable of recycling plastic....:rolleyes:

ShyTorque
7th Aug 2008, 23:10
Just took our local council four weeks to empty our non-recyclable rubbish bin because the binmen went on strike for three days. Minging.

They then refused to empty some local bins because the lids weren't shut. Barking.

They complain that fly-tipping is on the increase...... :hmm:

Avitor
7th Aug 2008, 23:30
Prior to fly tipping it's a good idea to go bin raiding. Nick some ditched correspondence with an address from the other side of town, stick it in your trash and you're clear away on your toes. :ok:

dontpressthat
7th Aug 2008, 23:50
What a load of rubbish..:}

DPT

Standard Noise
8th Aug 2008, 00:49
Loved the story in the press a few weeks back about a council that decided to crack down on fly tippers. Some dimwit from the refuse dept left black bags of refuse with concealed (and not terribly cheap) video recording equipment at a spot notorious for fly tipping.
The daft prick forgot to inform the refuse collectors who subsequently picked the bags up and crushed them up in the back of the bin lorry!:ugh:

Another story a few days back said that we have run out of wheelie bins in the UK and Europe as a whole is desperately short of them too. You'd have thought that some enterprising council somewhere would have set up their own wheelie bin manufacturing plant by now, considering the proliferation of the fecking things over the last 15 years!

Just realised, yer man's wheelie bin is nearly as noisy as my lawn mower. It claims 96db.

Krystal n chips
8th Aug 2008, 04:57
It's the maximum filling and mobility noise level permitted before Bert Scroggins (Senior Noise pollution and enforcement person, Community and Domestic Environmental and Habitat Services )...... aka Council bone headed jobsworth.....:mad:..... serves a notice of intended prosecution on you.....you can't say you weren't warned now can you ? :E

Low Flier
8th Aug 2008, 06:56
One has one of those silly brown bins at one's roost in a remote recess of Wild West Lothian. It's for compostable material: grape skins; corks; and the like.

Ferkin ridiculous as one has 20 acres of one's own land surrounding one's perch and plenty of scope for creating one's own compost heap without having to traipse the half-mile of walking which the weekly wheelie-bin routine involves.

One scribed a letter to the Cooncil, pointing out the absurdity of large rural properties being treated the same as some urban hutch and having the quite useless brown bin thrust upon us. A month later one's brown bin was collected by a Cooncil wagon crewed by three "workers". One to drive the wagon; another to operate the Hiab/Palfinger crane; and a third to attach the sling to the bin. One is something of an old phart one's self, though not nearly a coffin-dodger, so one laughed aloud at these young men using mechnical means to left a plastic bin. One bet them each a can of beer that one could heft the thing onto their truck with one hand. They declined 'cos the union widnae like it. Delighted to see the back of the thing ones' self, one fielded their question as to why a perfectly brand new and clearly unused bin was being sent back. One pointed at the large area of land around oneself and asked rhetorically why the ferk one would want to export one's compost to the land of the grey people.

A month later one was askance to see the same Cooncil wagon trundling up one's drive. One immediately went to fetch the almost as useless blue bin for them, hoping that the silly burgers had come for it too. It's intended for recyclables, but only takes one or two rather obscure types of plastic, not all those with the recycling logo. Furthermore, one is not allowed to put one' used wine and beer bottles into it. Ferkin useless!

To my astonishment, the burgers unloaded another brown bin, this time a 140 litre one instead of the previous 70 litre size. :ugh:

One phoned the Cooncil to harrumpph and ask WTF? They explained that it had been drawn to their attention that one's perch is in Rooftax Band H and has more than five bedrooms, hence is entitled to the bigger size of wheelie bin.

Dickheads. :*

What a monstrous waste of resources. An 8-tonner truck with a crew of 3, carrying nothing but one's unwanted brown bin(s) had made two round trips from the nether regions of the hinterland of darkest West Lothian all the way out to one's place which is at the outermost extremity of one's coonty. All in the name of greenness and to achieve some Eurocratic target.

What bollox! What a bunch of cnutz!

Whirlygig
8th Aug 2008, 07:52
Whilst most makes of wheelie bin have a space for a microchip, very few Local Authorities have actually had them fitted. When an LA decided to move to recycling and use wheelie bins, they got a grant from Central Government for the costs of the bins. However, this specifically did not include the cost of a microchip and therefore, very few Councils decided to pay for it themselves. They don't have the facilities or other required technology to process the information and, even if they did, I doubt they'd be processing it any more timeously than one year after the event!!

Cheers

Whirls

radeng
8th Aug 2008, 07:58
If the RFID device doesn't have a CE mark, it's worth an official complaint to Trading Standards Officer about it not meeting the requirements of the EMC Directive and the R&TTE Directive, and when is he going to prosecute the Council? If nothing ele, it should gte the useless wotsits running round.

UniFoxOs
8th Aug 2008, 08:25
Prior to fly tipping it's a good idea to go bin raiding. Nick some ditched correspondence with an address from the other side of town, stick it in your trash and you're clear away on your toes.

Preferably from the home of the head of the recycling gestapo!!

UFO

The Flying Pram
8th Aug 2008, 17:35
The first council (South Norfolk) to use Chips in their bins have given up, claiming they were unreliable: BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/7456283.stm)

Keef
8th Aug 2008, 21:11
From rainy South Norfolk, I can confirm that there are no RFID chips in our wheelies.

We did get a very stiff letter (well, postcard) stuck to our green bin, telling us how naughty we were for putting the wrong things in it. It then explained all the things we may (and may not) put into this bin, and what they'll do to us if we ever offend again.

Since we'd been away, and hence not put anything at all into said bin, we wrote and told them there was summat adrift. We were politely informed that we are responsible for the bin and what goes into it.

I'm debating asking for a padlockable one, to avoid fines from the council after fly-tippers use it.

Whirlygig
8th Aug 2008, 21:23
The microchips are not Government funded (as per that BBC report) and I used to audit the grant claims!!

There were rumours that a couple of Councils forgot to stipulate to the supplier that they were not to fit the chips; they got charged and couldn't get the money back from Central Government!

Cheers

Whirls

frostbite
8th Aug 2008, 21:46
Should have stayed in Thundersley, Keef - not a drop of rain round here today.

My local Council have recently introduced the 3 bin system. The much promoted 'information pack' never arrived in my road, so no-one knew they had also changed our collection day, and nobody knows exactly what is and isn't for each bin for the same reason.

I do know they have at least two brand new Mercedes collection trucks where one older one used to do the job, probably with half the manpower too.

G-CPTN
8th Aug 2008, 21:59
I was perusing the website with the old vehicle photographs that tinpis provided, and it came to mind that our council used to have the same Shelvoke and Drury dust-bin lorry all throughout my school years. Nowadays they seem to replace the wagons several times a year with even more complex (and bigger) vehicles that cannot get access to several streets so they have had to buy extra smaller vehicles to empty the bins by hand (they issue plastic sacks to these households and do weekly collections).
I cannot imagine the budget can cover the cost of collection.

spekesoftly
8th Aug 2008, 22:31
My local Council have recently introduced the 3 bin system.

Pah! We may only have two wheelies, but also two boxes and a bag! :p

Brown wheelie for garden stuff, green for domestic. Red box for plastic bottles, and green for glass. Newspapers should go in the bag, but after collection it blows away in the wind. :{

Thanks to Whirls for putting my mind to rest about the RFID. Our brown bin has one, and no doubt in years to come it'll be a collectors item! ;)

tony draper
8th Aug 2008, 22:39
One thunk of a good wheeze once, wait until all the wheely bins have been emptied then go along the lane and nail em all to the ground using me Hilti Gun,two inch spikes should do it.
If I were a younger man I might do it but one cannot run very fast these days :uhoh:

Standard Noise
8th Aug 2008, 22:46
None of yer free bins round here, our local council numpties think we're daft enough to pay £32 per year to rent a brown bin. HA HA HA f**kwits!
Since they don't collect plastic or cardboard, I happily pollute the atmosphere by firing up old smokey and driving it all to the tip instead. Kind of screws up their green ideas a bit. [email protected]

Sometimes throw the grass clippings over the back fence to keep the weeds down since the council won't look after the land tween us and the stream.
Brown bin my ****.

ExSp33db1rd
9th Aug 2008, 05:23
T.D. #7

I refuse to play their game, I recycle nothing and try my best to increase my carbon footprint with each passing day.

Heartily agree, I'll pick you up in my 3.5 L gas guzzling, exhaust belching, old car that needs Avgas ( for the lead ) to perform properly.

Our local council recently ended our free rubbish tips and expect us to BUY rubbish bags to leave at the roadside for collection, and now they wonder why Clean, Green, ( Urban myth ) NZ is no longer neither clean nor green.

Now they've just closed the recycling site and now sell recycling bags, and also drive TWO vehicles around, one to pick up the rubbish and one to pick up the recycleable stuff ! How much of a Carbon Footprint is that saving ? They also now employ staff to sort it whereas we previously put it in the right bins for them ourselves ( and enjoyed the crash of bottles being hurled to the bottom of the bin ! )

How many 6 Lt. hot air belching Hummers did it take to destroy the last Ice Age ?

ORAC
10th Aug 2008, 20:25
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20080809/lnq080810.gif

Blues&twos
10th Aug 2008, 21:23
G_CPTN, you probably mean Shelvoke & Drewry. They later joined up with Dempster, an American company (some poeple called S&D Shelvoke & Dempster for this reason). I used to work on an old S&D (belonged to Adur District Council) - it had a split windscreen, and the compactor in the back was engaged in the driving cab by depressing the clutch pedal (engine at idle) and flicking a switch. If you had the engine running at more than idle when you did this, we were told, the stresses running through the drive system would destroy the engine and/or linkages.
I can say for certain that this was not the case, as I followed our S&D along the A259 coast road through Lancing one afternoon while it was doing about 40mph with the compactor still inadvertantly engaged. The compactor was pretty much a blur and there was crap from the hopper being spread out all over the road. It was hysterical. Ha ha! they don't build 'em like that anymore!

FL575
11th Aug 2008, 19:31
What is totally amazing about all this, is the total lack of conformity of colour versus use!

Here (Cambs) it is:

Blue = recyclables (but not recyclable polystyrene)
Green = garden/vegetable waste
Grey = Household landfill

Recently whilst in Lancashire, I saw Purple bins.

Any more colours?

Incidentally, our local gnomes admit it costs £600/ton to collect/sort plastic. It is then sold, at a price depending on the type of plastic. Most plastics do not fetch much money, but the very best type of plastic can fetch £40/ton!

G-CPTN
11th Aug 2008, 20:31
Drewry indeed it was . . .
If you had the engine running at more than idle when you did this, we were told, the stresses running through the drive system would destroy the engine and/or linkages.Probably survived because it was engaged from idle - I expect that if it was engaged with the engine running at speed then the drive gear from the gearbox to the compactor probably would have sheared (though you never know . . . )

Incidentally, our local gnomes admit it costs £600/ton to collect/sort plastic. It is then sold, at a price depending on the type of plastic. Most plastics do not fetch much money, but the very best type of plastic can fetch £40/ton!I wonder how the Germans have got on - I believe that they were the instigators of all this . . .

In our region, commercial premises have their rubbish collected separately, and there is no recycling - so you get pubs dumping bins of glass bottles and shops throwing out empty boxes and packing paper, all of which goes to landfill! It's usually sorted already too . . .

frostbite
11th Aug 2008, 21:51
That idle only when drive engaged also applies to soft ice cream vans.

Many an expensive unit has been destroyed by the driver forgetting to disengage the drive before moving off.

Blues&twos
11th Aug 2008, 23:21
Ah yes, frostbite, but did you have to spend the day double de-clutching to change gear?

When I got to drive the newer side-loading machine - a Ford Cargo based 'Bison' (our own nickname rather than a particular make I think), I had to get used to proper cab heating, a wireless and power steering. "Power steering? For woofters". Apparently. According to my chargehand.

G-CPTN
11th Aug 2008, 23:26
Guy Big J

Say no more . . .

Blues&twos
12th Aug 2008, 12:37
Can't trump that G-CPTN, without going off road. You win!

Bushfiva
12th Aug 2008, 12:58
At my previous place, I had to sort garbage into aluminium, steel, glass, PET bottles, plastic, coated paper, uncoated paper, pressurized containers that had been depressurized, vegetable waste, burnable and non-burnable waste, and "broken things". All trash bags were high-calcium and transparent, so the garbage police could examine the contents for compliance. I got a shredder and anything that could identify me got shredded. That got rejected as "business waste" which required a sticker to be applied to each bag, around $1 per 30 liters. Milk cartons had to be rinsed, dried and cut down specific seams to flatten them.

In the current place, less than 3 km from the old one, I sort into glass, cans, burnable, non-burnable, and cardboard. The latter requires a collection tax stamp for every 10cm stack. PET bottles have to be returned to the store. They have to be rinsed and have caps and labels removed. Milk cartons have to be processed as above, but no-one actually collects them.

A friend of mine has 13 little trash cans in her kitchen, supplied by the local government. The kitchen looks like refrigerator, sinktop, gas range, trash cans. The trash cans have to be emptied into 9 containers in the trash compound. She can be fined for combining the 13 cans into 9 units before she actually disposes of the waste...

I swear some of these local agencies make it up as they go along.

G-CPTN
12th Aug 2008, 12:59
Guy Big J
Say no more . . .
It wasn't my 'normal' mount. I had use of it as comparison, which opened my eyes somewhat as to what was being promoted then as 'state of the art' . . .
Another 'beauty' was a Gardner engined ERF 6X4 40 tonne artic that felt almost like a steamer due to the heat from the engine in the cab.

ORAC
12th Aug 2008, 13:03
Just moved from Essex. We had 3 wheelie bins - Green, Black, Brown. One for organic, emptied weekly; waste had to be in bio-degradable bags inside or not collected. The other 2 were for non-organic recyclable (detailed list, types of plastic etc) and non-organic non-recyclable, emptied alternate weeks. Paper, cardboard etc left out separately in boxes. No collection of garden waste, you had to take it away yourself.

(Never used them in 4 years, pristine when I left. Single, not much waste, everything went in a garden bin liner I dropped off at the local centre at the weekends on the way to the supermarket.

Now in Uxbridge. All rubbish left outside in self bought bin bags; 3 large tough fibre/plastic shopping type bags (handles on side and bottom for inverting and shaking) provided for garden waste, just leave it outside and they take it all away.

frostbite
12th Aug 2008, 14:51
As of fairly recently, we have three bins - Yellow top/Compostable, Grey/ Recyclable, Purple top/non-recyclable.

The first can be used for any garden waste plus food scraps and is collected weekly, together with one of the others.

It would have all gone quite well at the changeover but the clowns failed to deliver the 'information packs' (still not got them) in my road, so no-one knew they had changed the collection day, and still no-one has a proper list of what should go in each bin.

Standard Noise
12th Aug 2008, 15:03
Brother and his family live in NI. They have two wheelie bins, one blue for all recyclables, be it paper, plastic, card, glass etc and even those poly wrappers that they put round tomatos and other veg. The other is grey and takes everything else. Council does the sorting. Garden waste goes to the tip. So much more simple.

airborne_artist
12th Aug 2008, 15:24
Here in South Oxfordshire we are wheely-free. The Liberal-run council was going to spend £2m on wheelies, and when the Tories got in they cancelled the order.

Muggins gets to put all the gash/recycling into the back or the car/the wheelbarrow and push it down the track for 150m, as the garbage crusher can't come along the track, as there's nowhere for it to turn round.

I note that my council tax has not gone down, despite the £2m saving, so perhaps it's been spent on new tellies, nannies etc. for the councillors :ok:

Dark Star
12th Aug 2008, 15:27
Dose anyone else have to remove all the windows from "window envelopes" and recycle them seperately ?

It takes ages, and they will find the little plastic shreddings if you try shredding them !

tony draper
12th Aug 2008, 16:33
Bet the folks in New Jersey put their rubbish in the right bins.:E

Blues&twos
12th Aug 2008, 19:15
airborne artist - Im in S.Oxfordshire too, all I do is bung the black bags out the front on bin collection day. Anything else (e.g. garden rubbish) goes on a huge bonfire.

When it's all done and smouldering I actually have real carbon footprints, which I get into trouble for when I traipse back indoors through the kitchen.

Nowhere to turn round? What a bunch of wusses! I reckon 50% of my bin wagon driving was backwards!!!

ExSp33db1rd
13th Aug 2008, 04:12
Bushfiva # 40

Christ ! is it worth it ?

TheInquisitor
13th Aug 2008, 04:54
Here in the 'States they collect your 'trash' 3 times a week - whatever it is, and whatever it resides in. They will take, quite literaly, ANYTHING. People in the less-densely populated city outskirts have large dumpsters at the front of their property - wagon drives up, forks go into slots, dumpster is emptied into compactor, placed back on ground, wagon drives off. Simplicity itself.

I'd be willing to bet it costs a damn site less to run as well.