PDA

View Full Version : Bird in a flap

dghob
7th Aug 2008, 06:30
A guy called ABC radio in Brisbane today claiming that he was on a QF flight from Townsville to Brisbane yesterday and before take off a passenger alerted cabin crew to a bird (deceased) lodged in the flaps. I gather the aircraft returned to stand. The caller went on to say that the captain told passengers he had suspected a bird strike on landing, had checked the aircraft at the stand but found nothing. Evidently the bird was hidden from view when the flaps retracted after landing and became visible again from within the aircraft when they were deployed for take off. :hmm:

mppgf
7th Aug 2008, 08:26
Standard suspected bird strike procedures begins with setting same configuration as when suspected bird strike occurred.
I don't believe any Qantas engineer would carry out such an inspection without doing so.
Did the captain enter the suspected bird strike in the tech log ?
Who knows ?
Who cares who knows !
Maybe the media can get hold of this bullsh@t story and spin it into

" QANTAS PLANE INVOLVED IN MIDAIR COLLISION"
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek:

HAWK21M
7th Aug 2008, 08:33
True.
The Situation & circumstances the flight control surfaces was during the suspected Bird strike should have been duplicated.If needed Trestles/ladders should be used.
regds
MEL

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
7th Aug 2008, 08:50
I'm sure that's all true from a maintenance manual point of view. And I can't speak for QF flight-crew procedures, but a few airlines (ours included) have for some time delegated bird strike inspections to the flight-crew (in the first instance).

Should they not find anything, then off they go. It doesn't state anything in our ops manual about replicating the configuration at time of the strike.

Being Townsville, I wouldn't be surprised if engineering coverage there has gone the way of most outstations - not available except by phone.

If true, then the crew probably did exactly as they were meant to.

Probably a different matter if it had occurred in MEL/SYD/BNE or any number of other main ports, where engineers are in abundance:ok:.

blow.n.gasket
7th Aug 2008, 09:02
Engineers in abundance?
I thought FOG sacked 'em all!:ok:

ACMS
8th Aug 2008, 02:07
mmmmm. I've had quite a few bird strikes on LDG and suspected bird strikes and the Engineers never asked for the flaps to be extended. Maybe that's a good idea for the future, never thought of it before.

See, Pprune can be handy:ok:

Bullethead
8th Aug 2008, 03:17
ACMS said,"mmmmm. I've had quite a few bird strikes on LDG and suspected bird strikes and the Engineers never asked for the flaps to be extended. Maybe that's a good idea for the future, never thought of it before."

Prolly be a better idea to shut the aircraft down with the flaps extended if a birdstrike was suspected, or any flap problem for that matter.

Regards,
BH. :ok:

Johnny_Fabulous
8th Aug 2008, 06:59
Once had a reoccuring problem with the spoilers on the left wing sitting slightly raised...would stow with slight control yoke movement. This was evident during the preflight. :bored:

Engineering was told and noted in the tech log.

6 to 12 months of continual reporting/investigation with no result...."report further" :ugh:

Finally someone in engineering made the discovery.... a FROZEN RAT lodged in and around the spoiler controls.:D

Persistence pays off...

Spanner Turner
8th Aug 2008, 11:06
All the big Boeings I've got a licence on have something like the following extract from Chapter 5 to guide the subsequent inspection. Whether in the Manual or not, I can't imagine any LAME not putting out flaps, spoilers etc upon hearing of a birdstrike and having a good sticky around.

BIRD/HAIL STRIKE CONDITION - MAINTENANCE PRACTICES (CONDITIONAL INSPECTION) ____________________________________________________________ _______________
1. General _______
A. Examine the entire aircraft exterior especially wing leading edges, flaps
and slats, engine inlets, and nacelles for impact damage when a bird/hail
strike is reported or suspected due to extreme possibility of multiple
bird strikes. Aircraft configuration should be the same as when the
bird/hail strike occurred, i.e., position of flaps, landing gear, etc.
If flap position is unknown, examine trailing edge flaps and leading edge
flaps and slats in fully extended position. Damaged areas should be
marked for thorough examination and/or action when the exterior
examination of the total aircraft is complete.

:ok:

Bang Bus
8th Aug 2008, 11:42
Hope I never hit one with the gear up then!!:E

Cloud Cutter
9th Aug 2008, 01:53
Haha, beat me too it. Yeah that would be a doozy of an inspection :}

mr.tos
9th Aug 2008, 07:03
" QANTAS PLANE INVOLVED IN MIDAIR COLLISION"
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek:With a bird :}

PyroTek
10th Aug 2008, 05:36
"Qantas Bird involved in midair collision"?:ok:

Capt Wally
11th Aug 2008, 09:26
I can just see it now, pooring rain, ldg config with 450 pax onboard at night upon ldg Capt suspects bird strike. To duplicate the scenario as per the regs one would have to get 450 pax (preferably the original ones to replicate exactly the scene) on board, hang it all out flaps LE devices gear dead bugs on the LE & windscreen all engines running as highish power, up on A/C jacks & then do it all in a hanger with the doors closed to similate night time & then turn on the fire hoses to awash the airframe. Yeah that ought to do it !:}
A friend of mine once told me many years ago that he noticed a crack in a door frame on a plane in the States whilst standing there awaiting his turn to get into the cabin. He mentioned it to the hosty & was told TY sir we shall look into it. He was close to the front of the offending door & noticed nobody that he could tell did much about it never lone advise him to let him know it had been checked. They took off & when they landed agaain on the way out he noticed the crack in the door upon alighting & again mentioned it, this time he noticed a few guys looking at it as he walked away & then a fast running man dissappear down some stairs. Hmmm maybe to let someone know that they had a real problem! Damn lucky I'd say! We collect birds all the time with airframes, just that sometimes we notice them, part of aviating sharing the same airspace with the ones that have the right to be there more than us

CW

CW

PyroTek
11th Aug 2008, 13:58
Wally, you forgot the big friggin fan at the back of the hangar to simulate the airspeed.

Atlas Shrugged
12th Aug 2008, 02:41
What birdstrike?

http://www.damets70.org/picture_library/MSC/BirdStrike.bmp

greenslopes
12th Aug 2008, 02:46
You know your low when you pick up an Emu!

ACMS
12th Aug 2008, 04:25
Holy birdstrikes Batman.:ooh:

That was one lucky crew.:)

ules
12th Aug 2008, 13:50
wow thats one big hole. and wat looks like a tasty dinner.. duck anyone ? :}