PDA

View Full Version : Crazy question about orange objects

Hurkemmer
6th Aug 2008, 22:46
about a half hour ago, two bright orange objects over central holland, must have been at least FL600 and going very fast tracking due west. Pilots on approach for EHAm and EHRD and possibly EHEH should have been able to see them.

If I'd seen only one I'd dismiss as satellite or early meteor shower but two about 1 minute apart on exactly same heading and going very fast..

pass me the o2 please...

Lon More
6th Aug 2008, 23:49
Refraction of the setting sun on ice crystals in the stratosphere?

I didn't see anything but I know a man who might ....

Standard Noise
6th Aug 2008, 23:51
Easyjet bought a few Concs have they?:}

G-BPED
7th Aug 2008, 00:00
Maybe you have been quaffing too many Oranjebooms :}

Standard Noise
7th Aug 2008, 00:08
Nah, he couldn't have. Last time I had a feed of Oranjeboom, I couldn't focus on two feet in front of me face. He's talkin' about 60 odd thousand feet up fer goodness sake!

Lon More
7th Aug 2008, 00:19
Orangeboom, like the Belgian Stella, is nowadays crap produced for the English lager lout. Try Alfa or Brand if you want decent Dutch lager

Double Zero
7th Aug 2008, 05:04
Hurkemmer,

Don't be put off by these berks referring to beer intake, I have seen & studied through binoculars something possibly similar, as did most of my town ( PM me if interested ) and was around 12 years old, so had yet to discover beer, but I did know something strange when I saw it, being brought up on aeroplanes.

The jovial posters previously are either trying to protect their careers with a 'head in the sand' attitude or haven't seen such things - rather a lot of people have.

My 'sighting' was witnessed by hundreds if not thousands of people, then a blatantly feeble cover story produced which even at that age I could see straight trough...

Congratulations on your courage for reporting.

DZ

vapilot2004
7th Aug 2008, 07:38
Could be some (really) out of towners arriving early to get a good seat for the Hadron Collider show on Saturday. :}

http://www.pprune.org/forums/jet-blast/320581-black-holes-litigations.html

VnV2178B
7th Aug 2008, 07:46
A couple of days back there was this article in the BHX local rag:

UFO sceptics report sightings in Kings Heath - Birmingham Mail (http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2008/08/05/ufo-sceptics-report-sightings-in-kings-heath-97319-21469165/)

but I wasn't there so can't vouch for its accuracy. The local beer is not that strong either...

VnV

FlyingApe
7th Aug 2008, 10:23
I would have thought an object ( such as a meteorite) breaking up due to gravitational forces ond entering our atmosphere would be on more or less the same track? :8

DAL208
7th Aug 2008, 10:38
hmmm... now i dont believe in UFO crap or anything like that, but my girlfirend sent me a picture message a few weeks ago of what sounds very similar to what you described. The pic was two orange objects...very high up, both tracking independently but in same track. i said was prob mars, or venus or something but they were moving too fast. She said they were like two fast moving stars on fire (orange).

probably sattelites i imagine! thats my best thought

R04stb33f
7th Aug 2008, 10:47
Are you not going to share the pic with us? ;)

603DX
7th Aug 2008, 11:04
I would also think that the breaking up and re-entry of pieces of satellite or associated orbital debris is a plausible explanation. There is rather a lot of "space junk" up there now, with differing drag characteristics when skimming back into the atmosphere. If a particular assembly reached its limit of orbit time, broke up into unequal pieces which travelled at different rates as they burned up, this might explain the 1 minute sighting interval between two glowing objects on the same track.

A lifetime of engineering makes me look for the rational answer in such cases rather than the "ooh it might be little green men" approach, but then, what do I know ......

DAL208
7th Aug 2008, 11:10
Are you not going to share the pic with us?

if i can find it...how do i put pick up here?

R04stb33f
7th Aug 2008, 13:08
if i can find it...how do i put pick up here?
Click here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/203481-image-posting-pprune-guide.html) to see BOAC's guide on sharing Pics :ok:

13thDuke
7th Aug 2008, 13:17
http://chamorrobible.org/images/photos/gpw-200702-56-UnitedStates-DefenseVisualCenter-DFSD0504367.jpg

Hurkemmer
7th Aug 2008, 13:57
Well thanks for replies guys, been trying to figure out what the heck it was, ISS seems to be a bit further south currently although time frame would approximatly ok but that wouldn't explain number two object, or have they lost a piece recently? The reflect of sunlight would give the color I assume, at about 23:00 the sun is only just over the horizon here so at high altitude it would still reflect off the hull. Have yet to see any other reports on the net about or news but there were two of us who saw them and we both asked each other if we DID actually see the crazy oranges... we did.. oh boy.. perhaps some secret yankee spy things...

tonite I am going to have some of those Oranjebooms I think...

uklocations
7th Aug 2008, 16:21
Irridium Flare?

Saw one me'self the other night, whilst enjoying a long cool beer in the pool:)

er340790
7th Aug 2008, 16:32
ORANGE???? HOLLAND????

Isn't it clear????? They had to do something with all those :mad: Euro 2008 Victory fireworks.

Hurkemmer
8th Aug 2008, 08:50
irridium flare, thought about that but would you two one minute apart on the exact same course? Looked up some stuff on ISS and whilst the info I found placed it over france at the time it is at an altitude of some 300km so perhaps it would have been visible from here... dunno.. What about you long haulers, I am sure you get to see some funky stuff mucking around in LEO or even atmo??