PDA

View Full Version : Help With AGP Slot and Graphics Card

OneWorld22
27th Jan 2001, 22:57
I need help with this one, so any info would be much appreciated.

I recently got the family a new PC, AMD Athlon 1ghz on a KT133 Gigabyte mobo on the via chipset. I also bought a Voodoo 5500 AGP graphics card. I've installed as per usual, it slots into the AGP slot no problem, I've connected the power supply to the board and I get nothing. It doesn't register or anything.

In the BIOS set up it says the AGP slot is OK, it's set to X4 and 64mb.

Is there something else I should be doing?
Normally I have no problems installing new hardware. I've tried the 3DFX web-site, but of course they were bought by Nvidia and I've downloaded all the BIOS drivers from Gigabyte.

Any ideas?

InFinRetirement
28th Jan 2001, 01:40
Jump settings on the m/board spring immediately behind but Voodoo cards normally happily settle themselves in - even in the BIOS. But best check the little book that came with it.

Did you follow the manufacturers instructions. Sometimes it is necessary to load the CD first. Have you got DirectX8 'cos that card needs it. 7a will do but 8 is much better.

It might be a good idea to start over too. Works wonders sometimes.

Or you can go Control Panel/Add New Hardware etc.,

It really should be a simple addition! Hope it helps anyway.

Diablo
28th Jan 2001, 01:47
Had a real problem getting a new graphics card seated properly, was afraid of ESD ect but took it to a friend in the business and was shocked on how much pressure he had to use to get it home.

Worth a go ???

OneWorld22
28th Jan 2001, 12:39
Thanks for your replies guys. The problem is it won't even register, I plug the monitor into the card and there's nothing, the motherboard lets out a series of panicked beeps and I just get a blank screen.
It sounds like it could be the jumper settings allright, I'll give it a go!
As I said, the card slots in perfectly and Voodoo's are renowned for their ease of installation.

Flying in a glass flightdeck is a lot easier then his!!

Squiddley
28th Jan 2001, 20:26
OW22

Those "panicked beeps" may well be the key to what's wrong. They're not random, but really do/can indicate the problem. AKA "beep codes".

If you can, go to the motherboard maufacturer's homepage and trawl through the tech pages for definitions. Failing that, try the BIOS provider website. (Or call the vendor's support hotline if you can.)

Hope this helps - good luck!

AquaPlane
29th Jan 2001, 17:49
OW22,

The beeps indicate a problem during the computer's POST. No BIOS display / monitor not coming out of power saving can surely only be either the card being incorrectly seated or a duff card. Have you tried putting the old card back in...?

Aq

OneWorld22
30th Jan 2001, 00:31
Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated.
Finally got it up and running, after pouring over the manual made a change in the chipset settings in the BIOS to boot from the AGP.
(The old card was a TNT2 M64 PCI)

At last, peace and quiet from the kids!