PDA

View Full Version : Alton Towers - any tips for a 1st Timer.

Sikpupi
6th Aug 2008, 12:31
Hi...off on the holidays this weekend and plan a trip to Alton Towers (with 2 kids 11+15yrs).

Haven't booked anything yet. Hope I could draw on PPruners experiences.....where to stay, what to do first, how to avoid the queues (hope to there there Mon / Tues ), any on-line discounts on entry??

What about the Waterpark nearby.....Cariba Creek Waterpark? Should be try that as well????

Have to go now...need to see a Doctor and make sure the old ticker will take those rides!!!!

Sikky

west lakes
6th Aug 2008, 12:50
Last time we went (some years ago)

Check their website

Book on line, get there as early as possible, do the "major rides first" as the queues get horrific later in the day

Parapunter
6th Aug 2008, 12:54
Keep the kids out of the grounds. I have it on good authority that it's a prime spot for magic mushrooms.

uklocations
6th Aug 2008, 14:07
Beware the waterpistols..... YouTube - Water Pistols at Alton Towers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNj3jkvjvas)

And scour the supermarket shelves for "2for1" offers.

er340790
6th Aug 2008, 14:24
Parents live just 20 mins away, so was a regular visitor during my formative years.

Best tricks are:

Avoid weekends / public holidays like the plague - unless you want hordes of aled-up Scousers / Brummies pi**ing in your pockets.

Check the local rags (even on-line rags for discount codes). Evening Sentinel is a good source.

Choose an overcast Weds / Thurs and be at the gates as soon as they open. With a bit of luck, you'll be able to do all the main rides within 90 minutes - otherwise you can wait longer than that for each ride!

Don't be fooled by apparently short queues - they wind away behind the cleverly set-up scenery - 50 people can really be 500+.

Use the 'Single Person' queues they offer to fill up the spare spaces on the rides. Usually saves 90% of the wait. Quite often you can all get in together anyway.

Forget the on-site hotels. Grossly overpriced and spectacularly poor value for money. Book a farmhouse B&B in the area or one of the bed-factory hotels on the A500.

It's a bit like Disney. Worth doing, but you won't see any parents with smiling faces!

Highlight? Did get laid there back in 1988 in the trees overlooking the castle.... but that's another thread entirely! :E

Strelnikov
6th Aug 2008, 14:25
Don't go on the weekend - a day off work is worth it.

When you're on the log flume there is a camera on the final "big plunge". See if you can play it cool and look nonchalent rather than scream and wave your arms around.

This was Strelnikov and three colleagues in 1994. (I'm not the one who is losing it and smirking at the back).

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v271/204/6/679862622/n679862622_1111360_6498.jpg

jayteeto
6th Aug 2008, 15:54
Sugar Puffs have a 2for1 voucher at the moment. School hols are a nightmare, weekends in school hols are a similar experience to sticking needles in your eyes. The only tip I can give to beat the queues at this time of year is to get there early on a day that has a major sporting event on TV that chavs like to watch. Early does not mean 10 mins after opening, it means well before. Consider paying the ten quid VIP parking as it saves a half hour queue to get on the monorail which only transports you to the entrance queues!!

BigEndBob
6th Aug 2008, 20:49
First went there in the 1970's.
The model railways gone, think that was in the chapel.
Only evidence a small Hornby sticker on the door....memories!

The 2 for 1 offers also on Wotsits, valid through to October, probably a better time to go.

Sikpupi
7th Aug 2008, 11:02
confusion reigns...my mate John tells me to go to Thorpe Park instead!!!

What do you think.....??

Opsbeatch
7th Aug 2008, 12:11
Is tops!
Big rides and queues not too big as Legoland is down the road so most parents opt for that, I did once NEVER again. 7 rides in one day, that's all!!!

Thorpe Park is a must though...

OB

Sikpupi
16th Aug 2008, 18:59
Just an update for all......

Went to Thorpe Park. 2 Adults & 2 Kids. Very nice girl in queue told us to pop up the road and buy 2 x packet of Quavers in local garage which had a 2 for 1 voucher at the back and so got in for Stg£66. (1/2 price)
Kids enjoyed all the rides...!!! I done one - the NEMISIS....never again.!!!
Me and wife sat out at the bar for the rest fo the day...found the place reasonably priced for food and drinks.

The kids are dining out on their experiences and overall a Jolly Days Outing!!

Opened til 8pm and queues were no more that 15 mins max. !!