PDA

View Full Version : TFT Display Shot

Airbanda
19th Dec 2001, 02:30
The TFT display on my partner's fujitsu/siemens lifebook laptop is diagnosed as failed. Works OK with a standard monitor. Silly prices quoted for repair, almost as much as a new laptop.

Any suggestions for cheap routes to re incarnation? .

TIA

Airbanda:- Proud to be an Anorak

FL310
19th Dec 2001, 15:38
I am afraid, but that is the procedure almost everywhere...
check and compare prices...buy a new one...

Evo7
19th Dec 2001, 16:41
I've got to agree with FL310. Assuming the display really is broken - i.e. it isn't just a connection that has come adrift or something similar - then there isn't much you can do. Laptops are famous for being expensive and/or impossible to fix.

Can you claim on insurance? Might be worth looking into.

malanda
20th Dec 2001, 17:42
I've seen two Sony Vaio screens resurrected by reaching behind the screen (with it opened in normal viewing position) with both hands, and firmly pressing the back of the screen in the middle about 2/3 of the way down. It seems there's a connector in there that can come adrift.
I don't know if FJ's are the same, but it's got to be worth a go.

RickPhucked
20th Dec 2001, 18:36
Check out E-Bay, <a href="http://www.ebay.co.uk," target="_blank">www.ebay.co.uk,</a> there are often components auctioned off at very low prices by dealers who no longer require them, it is very likely that you can repair it. A lot of people have a fear of opening a laptop up, it seems to be some sacred device which only the manufacturers can touch, but unless its in warranty it is often very repairable, and if the worst comes to the worst then theres a surprising lot of people around with test beds and a soldering iron, a quick look at circuit diagrams from the internet and you can fix almost anything.

RW-1
20th Dec 2001, 23:53
Unfortunately 60% of your laptop's cost is from that TFT screen.

Most manufacturer's have limits on how many pixels can be bad before replacement, and of course I assume it is not coming on at all by your description.

As I am a computer tech myself, malanda's idea is something I would recommend, however I wouldn't press on it, perhaps you know someone who is capable of opening the unit and enbsuring it is connected? (Rick has a point about people being scared, however I must point out that some laptops are a bi*ch, even for us tech's to get at certain componants, so if you have any hesitation on opening it, then have someone else do it, byut obtain the part if you can)
I have seen where the backlight disconnects, cust is sure it's toast, and magically I resurrect it :)

also, if you check out local repair shops in the area who work on that model, you might find a deal on a used screen from the same model, (I have swapped laptop parts on units going back to the factory anyway, depending upon the individual situation).

[ 20 December 2001: Message edited by: RW-1 ]</p>

Tinstaafl
21st Dec 2001, 13:36
I've recently repaired the screen on my laptop.

It started its path to failure by randomly switching off the backlight, later developing to switching off the backlight if the screen was moved.

I could see a very faint image, but without the backlight to illuminate it there wasn't a hope of using my notebook without an external monitor.

After I pulled the notebook apart I saw that the problem could be either the inverter board (converting the battery DC to AC to power the flouro. backlight) or it was the backlight itself.

Cost of the inverter board: 15 quid incl. postage.

Cost of the integral backlight/TFT screen: nearly 500 quid.

So, bought the board as a quick & cheap way to either repair or diagnose the source of the problem, 30 minutes later replaced & reassembled and Lo! I could see again.

Bloody glad it was just the board and not the backlight!

Airbanda
22nd Dec 2001, 00:45
Thanks for all that advice, not dreadfully encouraging but strong confirmation that the repair qoutes are genuine. Had not appreciated about these thing being back lit, that accounts for the fact that illuminates a dull uniform grey.

Bright side is if I marry it up to a cheap monitor it might stop my son pestering for his own PC!