View Full Version : Qantas no QantasLink Yes

cancelsar
6th Aug 2008, 05:16
The power of preparation can never be underestimated. I wished I had the maturity to know this many years ago. I had interviews with Qantas many years ago when jobs were scarce. I was briefed to front up and do your best, “don’t worry too much about preparation”. I remember arriving early and waiting nervously to do the skills and psych test. I did not feel good about how I performed and went home feeling shattered. I will never forget the letter of rejection.

I ended up giving aviation away and my dream was to fall in a heap. After coming to terms with this disappointment I got on with life and worked my way into a corporate position. This proved to be stimulating and well paid. Flying became a hobby and my desire to fly commercially was suppressed. From corporate life to owning my own business, I gained invaluable experience in many areas of life that I could never have achieved in flying for an airline.

After selling my business the desire to fly returned with great passion. The media was declaring a great shortage of pilots as were flying schools and friends who were flying with various Australian Airlines.

Within 5 months I renewed my Commercial License, gained all ATPL subjects and renewed my MECIR. I sent my C.V into various airlines and 4 months latter now have a slot to start training in 6 weeks. My training slot has been delayed but I am staying positive. This is a job I have wanted for over a decade.

My tip for anyone wanting to fly for an airline is to prepare, prepare, prepare for that interview and sim check. I bought lots of books, did simulator practice with Simsation (these guys give good value for money sim prep and I can recommend them - http://simsation.com.au (http://simsation.com.au/) ) and spoke to as many airline pilots as possible. I think flying the simulator was the hardest part, so make sure you get this right.

Staying positive is crucial at times like this. I like many others am in the holding pattern waiting to start the job. Good luck to those waiting for their slot and do lots of prep for those whose interviews are coming up.

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer}