PDA

View Full Version : Netscape 6 - It's here and it's PANTS!!

R O Tiree
17th Nov 2000, 22:06
Waited for months, only to be bitterly disappointed. Here are the bugs/faults/omissions in Netscape 6 that I have found in only a few hours:

1. Does not sense that page was maximised when closed down. Re-opens at previous un-maximised size, unlike 4.7.

2. Can't delete mail from Trash Can.

3. Does not resume loading a graphic "halfway" through if you close a page or stop it and hit reload in the event of a stalled page load. Re-starts all graphics not fully loaded from the beginning. This defeats a lot of the object of hitting reload. If you right-click and select "View Image" it does resume from where it left off. If you hit reload again, it starts from the beginning again. I have "Check for newer pages Once per Session" selected on Cache page of Preferences and also in 4.7, in which resume works OK.

4. Sometimes displays font at wrong size, then corrects after first font change or </p> or in the middle of a sentence, for no reason at all. (Viewed source code - no <FONT> tag, but it changed size anyway??)

5. Displays "Document: Done" at all times in Status Bar when it patently isn't "Done". Unless it says "Status default text". Does not tell you what it is downloading, nor what %age has been downloaded, at what rate and how long remaining. This is a major plus point in 4.7. I like to know what's going on.

6. Tried downloading twice from UK mirror site (I assume, as that's where I live and I selected "Closest Site"). Installation aborted twice, both times after after downloading all files . Eventually got clean install from US after total of 4.5 hrs online.

7. Use of a cross instead of a tick in check boxes in Preferences is confusing. A cross usually means "No", not "Yes".

8. Composer - No method immediately apparent of selecting another font apart from the 4 defaults.

9. Composer - Only tried composing 1 simple page, but no display of font size apart from Format, Font, then check to see which one is active.

10. Netscape say this is the most configurable Netscape browser ever, but in Edit, Preferences:

Appearance - 4.7 - "Show Toolbars As" - 3 options
6 - No such options

Appearance - Fonts - 4.7 - Allows you to enable or disable Dynamic Fonts, or override them altogether.
6 - Only allows you to over-ride or use page fonts.

Navigator - Internet Search - Ask Jeeves not included.

Composer - 4.7 - Autosave is an option.
6 - Can't find Autosave anywhere.

Composer - 4.7 - Allows setting of default external Image and HTML editors.
6 - Does not.

Roaming Access - 4.7 - Full configuration and upload/download of history, Bookmarks, etc
6 - Doesn't even exist in Preferences.

Mail and Newsgroups - Too many shortcomings to list here. 4.7 is eminently configurable, 6 is not.

Offline - 4.7 - Can be configured.
6 - Does not exist

Advanced - This is the only area where 6 scores slightly more highly than 4.7, in my opinion.

In summary, Netscape 6 is a huge step backwards compared with Netscape 4.7. It is so disappointing, that I am going to un-install it and stick with 4.7 instead. If I didn't know better, I'd think that this was a Beta version. It certainly is not Better! Netscape 6 is ...... Gone from my system. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

R O Tiree
17th Nov 2000, 22:13
PS - No, it is not gone! It has left rubbish all over my system and has also corrupted my installation of Netscape 4.7, which now crashes unpredictably. So, even though Netscape.com says in FAQs that you can have previous versions installed at the same time, and they won't be affected, they apparently are affected. Also it won't un-install properly. Orphan icons all over the place and a shed load of stuff left in the registry, Windows directory, Program Files directory... If I didn't know better, I'd think this was an Alpha version!!

Tinstaafl
17th Nov 2000, 23:05
Or an MS program?

18Wheeler
19th Nov 2000, 15:17
FWIW, I user Opera and I think it's pretty darn good. Very small installation space, MUCH faster that either of the two big browsers, but you have to spend a few dollars to register it ....

R O Tiree
19th Nov 2000, 22:57
Tinny - No, Netscape is not MS, but they've let themselves down badly with this IMO.

18W - I'd heard that Opera was good - would you be prepared to expound on its virtues vice IE and Netscape ?

Ta

Blacksheep
20th Nov 2000, 19:02
Thanks for the warning R O Tiree.

I downloaded the installation file but tried twice to get a download without success. I won't bother now. I've used Netscape ever since version 1 came out and its always been good for me (Remember Mosaic? Damn! that was a rough beast!) but this sounds like a bummer. From your description it sounds very much like a Beta, I suppose we better wait for v6.1...

Through difficulties to the cinema

mriya225
23rd Nov 2000, 04:35
R O Tiree,
Wheeewww, I was planning on installing that... Thank for you sparing me the ghastly task of having to extricate it from my system!

------------------
Un diva très doué.

18Wheeler
23rd Nov 2000, 16:48
R O Tiree - I like it for a few reasons -
- It's HUGELY faster than either of them, especially IE.
- It's far easier to swap between multiple windows.
- It doesn't have 'spyware' in it.
- There's a fwe odd little things it can't handle, but by & large it seems to be highly capable.

Yes, it costs a few dollars to register, but I reckon it's worth it as it sticks it up the other two. And as you can probably see from reading the above, it's now a LOT better the Netscape 6! :)

PPRuNe Towers
23rd Nov 2000, 21:21
UK PPRuNers will find Opera as well as the two bloatware browsers free on the PC PRO cover disk every single month.

Good honest mag - don't care who they upset and an excellent website.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

R O Tiree
25th Nov 2000, 00:32
OK, downloaded Opera from PC Pro site - very clean, like it lots but it doesn't seem to like PPRune chat - just sees me as a single user, although I know there are others in there from Netscape 4.7. Have I not configured it correctly? any clues, 18W or PPT?

18Wheeler
25th Nov 2000, 08:14
Hmmmm ... not sure - I've never tried the PPrune Chat before. Might be one of those unfortunate things that you can't use it for.
I still keep Netscape for that occasion, but it's pretty rare.
Did you download the java version? It's the 9meg download.

R O Tiree
25th Nov 2000, 08:57
18W - yes - Java Run-time Environment v1.3

Netscape version of JRE is 2.1 - maybe that's the snag...........

addinfurnightem
25th Nov 2000, 14:25
Anyone got the URL for Opera please? (or a download site). Cheers.

Feline
25th Nov 2000, 15:00
Addif: Try http://www.operasoftware.com

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)

addinfurnightem
25th Nov 2000, 15:25
Many thanks Feline.

Lu Zuckerman
26th Nov 2000, 03:45
On my old computer I had Outlook Express 4.0 and everything worked fine. My internet provider offered a free upgrade to 5.0 and when I downloaded it all hell broke lose including the loss of over half of my email most of which was for my business.

In causing the loss it was very selective as it only eliminated anything with a 2000 date. I contacted the provider and they helped me reload 4.0 and all of my 2000 email returned.

Later on, I purchased a new computer with Windows 98 ands I downloaded the hard drive from the old computer onto the new one.

When I started it up, I checked and saw that all of my year 2000 emails were gone. I checked and I was told the Outlook express 5.0 was embedded in the windows 98 program and that it was not Y2K campatible and could not be reset for Outlook express 4.0.

Now, when I need some historical documentation I have to get it from my email file on the old computer and email it to myself on the new computer.

Another major glitch I discovered is when I ran a virus scan on the new computer and it stripped out all email generated up to that time. It seems that it can't differentiate between a single message containing a virus and the entire file that contained the message. I tried to retrieve the files but they can't be repaired and as such they are lost forever.

Anybody got any suggestions.

------------------
The Cat

Lu Zuckerman
26th Nov 2000, 04:01
Here is another one.

About six months ago I was contacted by my internet provider and was told that someone else was using my service and they told me to supply them with another password.

I couldn't figure out how anyone could obtain my password.

Several months later I was told about installing a firewall which I did. Within on hour after downloading the program, I had seventeen hits by someone trying to get into my computer.

Just prior to installing the program I was contacted by a lawyer asking if I would be interested in being a technical witness as I am a Consulting Engineer. Within an hour after receiving his email I got another email addressing me by name telling me that I should not trust that lawyer as he really represented the other side and just wanted to pick my brains. I later found out that the lawyer was on the up-and-up.

Someone had gotten into my computer and read a lot of the files and concocted the phony message.

If that guy and all the hackers out there can do it to me they can sure as hell do it to you. I strongly recommend that all of you get some type of firewall program.

The system I use is free and can be downloaded from the internet. I have to assume that if it is on the internet it can be downloaded everywhere.

The name of the company is Zone Labs and the name of the program is Zone Alarm 2.1.44

Get it and start counting the hits on your computers.

------------------
The Cat

18Wheeler
26th Nov 2000, 13:29
Yup, I use ZoneAlarm and yes, I get a few 'hits' every time I'm on line.
Good thing to have, just in case. Won't stop the serious hackers, but it'll keep most of them at bay I believe.

18Wheeler
27th Nov 2000, 17:57
R O Tiree - I tried the Chat room thing here with my version of Opera, 4.02, and it works just fine for me, so not sure what the bother is with your copy.
Personally, I blame microsoft. ;)

Ausatco
28th Nov 2000, 15:57
Lu,

I have Win 98 and it contains IE 4. There are many updates available from Microsoft's Windows Update site and also on CD from Microsoft. Many of the updates are for Y2K issues, and it's not always clear whether they are for Windows or for IE or for Outlook Express and other components of the Windows system - they are so integrated that the boundaries are blurred.

I downloaded all updates (all free) as they became available which took IE to 5.01 and lost no pre-2000 stuff.

Eventually Microsoft releases all the download stuff as an upgraded Win/IE/OE etc, etc. CD, which in Aus costs only a few dollars. Well worthwhile. I don't know what's available in your neck of the woods, but IE5.01 is on CD here and downloads take you to 5.5.

I currently use Win98 Second Edition and IE 5.5. All my pre 2000 stuff remains intact.

Maybe back up your data and try to get your Windows up to date. Not necessarily a simple task, but worthwhile, IMO.

Good luck

AA

[This message has been edited by Ausatco (edited 28 November 2000).]