View Full Version : ITV Celebair Total Trash

BYALPHAINDIA
5th Aug 2008, 18:54
What's all this ITV Celebair Trash about???:hmm:

We sit and watch so - called celebs sit on a flight being pampered??:zzz:

Okay, Monarch will benefit financially, But what is it going to produce for us the consumer??

Why would we sit and watch this rubbish, When we have to go out into the REAL world and earn a living.:D

Anything to make a programme.:=

757_Driver
5th Aug 2008, 19:00
yes its probably another crappy reality programme, however the d-list 'clebs' that will be working as crew, AFAIK have to go through full training, otherwise the CAA would not countenance their being on the aircraft.

Perhaps an opportunity for the watchers of such programmes to realise just how much training and hard work you guys have to put in. With a bit of luck the programme will reflect well on the cabin crew and may prove positive. Even if a couple of potential pissheads watch it and think "gee, those guys work hard, maybe i'll cut them a bit of slack on my next flight" then it could be beneficial.

Never thought I'd stick up for a reality programme!

brabazon
5th Aug 2008, 19:04
A number of "celebs" are being trained by Monarch as check in staff and cabin crew and the passengers who fly on their flights will vote off the worst ones.

monkeybusiness2
5th Aug 2008, 19:17
It probably is going to be a load of crap but it just might give some folk an insight into the role of cabin crew and ground staff and hopefully make them realise its not as easy dealing with the great travelling public as it may appear.

aviatordom
5th Aug 2008, 19:17
I think it will be a fairly good programme!

I think it will make people definitely realise the hard-work that is put in by you guys & girls!

perhaps it will stop some of the public moaning bout flying!

Dan Air 87
5th Aug 2008, 19:52
It will be good for Monarch's coffers; lets hope the celebrities don't muck it up for MON by putting people off flying. It must be such a good show that ITV have put it onto one of their satellite channels.

newbagr
5th Aug 2008, 20:53
they dont need the Z list celebs like chico and jodie marsh to put them flying with Monarch:-) Only joking!

student88
5th Aug 2008, 20:53
People are all to happy to criticise something that hasn't aired yet. Wait until It's on your TV before you bad mouth it!

I hope it's not taking the place of I'm a Celeb get me out of here!

S88:ok:

dazdaz
5th Aug 2008, 21:14
I hope the program gets good feed back. It's a good insight into the aviation world. I read the f/o is some actor from a soap.:{

Take care out there........Daz

BerksFlyer
5th Aug 2008, 22:03
I read the f/o is some actor from a soap.

None of them are pilots.

speedbird_481_papa
5th Aug 2008, 23:13
Should be interesting to watch. But I will probably get bored of it after the 1st episode, because then it will become far to repatative :ugh:

denis555
6th Aug 2008, 06:36
This is a guess at who will be the "celebrity" cabin crew...

Dan O'Conner (Neighbours actor)
Chico (X-Factor)
Jonny Shentall (member of Hear'Say and Boom; Lisa Scott Lee's husband)
Graeme La Seoux (Footballer)
Dean Gaffney (Soapstar, I'm A Celeb contestant)

Lisa Scott Lee (Steps star?)
Nikki Grahame (Big Brother contestant)
Diane Youdale (Gladiators )

...and John Travolta as First Officer ... ( kidding )

oh dear - oh dear

Lets have Carol Vorderman, Cilla Black, Carole Smiley, Gordon Ramsey, Elton John and a sprinkling of celebs who make 'troublesome' PAX..:ok:

sign-it-to-your-room
6th Aug 2008, 19:02
Cant believe I am asking this......but when is it on?

student88
7th Aug 2008, 00:45
In the Autumn,

My sister saw Kenzie from 'BlazinSquad', Chico, Lisa Mafia and Tamara Beckwith outside the Monarch HQ last week wearing a very weird uniform so you can add them to the list!

Evanelpus
7th Aug 2008, 10:22
......and the prices for the flights crewed by celebs is about £10 more expensive than standard Monarch fares to the same destination.

So, not only do you have to endure Dean Gaffney serving you coffee, watch Jodie (you've been Tango'd) Marsh teeter down the aisle and that muppet from Neighbours call you 'mate' or Bruce' half a dozen times, you have to pay more for the experience.

I've no doubt Monarch will fill the flights with tv wanabees (ooh look Mum, that's my t-shirt you can see behind TP-T's left boob)

Rant Over, will Sky+ when on!

student88
7th Aug 2008, 12:29
Most of the "celebrities" selected actually failed their cabin crew training. How many attempts do you cabin crew get at this course, not as many as these "celebrities" I bet.

- that's total rubbish considering they haven't finished their course yet.

VS-LHRCSA
7th Aug 2008, 14:59
I remember Jill Dando did this a few years before she died.

She was trained by Britannia and did a flight on the 767. Can't remember where but she did really well, a class act.

I think it was for a travel show, not some cheap celebrity gimmick and she really learned and conveyed how much goes into our profession.

Not many like her left these days, celebritywise.

Tflyhigh
9th Aug 2008, 08:20
Maybe ex-dollies Melinda Messenger (ex-Britannia) and Brian Dowling (ex-Ryanair) will make an appearance?

It is going to be complete car-crash TV - you don't want to watch it, but you find it irresistable to have a peek!

BigT2207
9th Aug 2008, 09:36
And ITV wonder why they are losing money hand over fist.

It would be only good viewing if they have a flight full of hen parties and people going on a stag weekend pissed up to the eyeballs wanting to fight everybody (The Great British Chav) then the public can see some of the sh*t you have to put up with.

EI-CFC
9th Aug 2008, 10:04
Brian Dowling (ex-Ryanair) will make an appearance?

Not unless he's double jobbing. He's currently assisting in running a hotel for an Irish reality show ;)

GrahamK123
9th Aug 2008, 11:05
Chico

Like they need to stereotype more....

Xorthis
11th Aug 2008, 00:52
I was on Monarch's website a couple of weeks ago and they had seats available still for these flights. They're going to partition the aircraft into celeb air pax and normal pax and carry a normal CC for the non-celeb pax. Tickets are one way only and they go to all the chavtastic holiday destinations like Malaga, Ibiza and Alicante :}

Seems they still have a few seats avaliable for anyone who wants to have 5 seconds of fame; coffee spilt on their heads and die horribly when the celebs can't co-ordinate your evac in the event of an emergancy :E

Monarch Airlines | CelebAir | timetable (http://flights.monarch.co.uk/cnt/celebair/celebair-timetable.asp)

To be honest, I'd probably go on one myself just to say I was there when ITV went under, if I wasn't spending the next six weeks in California ;)

Xorthis
11th Aug 2008, 00:56
Oh wow, check out the first result you get when googling the phrase "celeb air celebrities"

Celebrity Plane Crashes (http://www.airsafe.com/events/celebs.htm) :ok:

DelseyDiner
15th Aug 2008, 21:32
give them the training at Monarch....but will they be providing a full 5 yrs of references to gain their airside pass or does this not just make a mockery of the security side of the job?

thoughts? no doubt Monarch and ITV will have some way round it, eg; book them on pax ticket.

DD:confused::confused::rolleyes:

hapzim
16th Aug 2008, 07:49
no different to the many cabin crew and ground staff that work in all departments at uk airports who are not uk nationals and cannot be checked by disclosure scotland or are unable to provide a 5 year history.

Abusing_the_sky
17th Aug 2008, 20:39
who are not uk nationals and cannot be checked by disclosure scotland or are unable to provide a 5 year history.

With all due respect hapzim, care to elaborate on that?

I am NOT UK national however i have provided the full 5 year history required. I also qued for hours on end at my country of origin embassy to get a police disclosure from my country, and paid a whooping £60 for the form to be translated into English and signed by an authorised translator.
When i went to the ID security office, with all my required paperwork to get an Air Pass, i received a FULL ID straight away; however, fellow colleagues of English nationality only received a 60 days Temporary Pass and after that they had to go through the hole process again. So please chose your words carefully...

Back to the subject of this thread, i probably missed it but when does this CelebAir Show is supposed to be aired?:rolleyes:

Rgds,
ATS

JB007
17th Aug 2008, 21:24
So has anyone got a list of these so called celebs?!

Got the time and money, might book a flight for a laugh....

TFlyguy
18th Aug 2008, 18:35
Their wings ceremony is this Friday.

Chico, Kenzie, Mica Paris, someone who used to be on Neighbours, an impessionist, an ex page 3 girl ............

After that i lost interest!

G-STAW
18th Aug 2008, 18:52
"wings ceremony" Jesus christ......

Abusing_the_sky
18th Aug 2008, 21:11
Kenzie, Mica Paris

Who are these people??

Rgds,
ATS

captainyonder
19th Aug 2008, 16:08
I had an email today from Monarch informing me that this bunch of morons would be operating my flight home from Malaga in mid-September....this could be interesting.

Dr Illitout
19th Aug 2008, 16:44
If ever there was a need to get a gun airside this sounds like it!

Rgds Dr I

ATNotts
19th Aug 2008, 16:58
Captainyonder

And did Monarch offer you the chance of changing your booking - or perhaps some sort of rebate on your ticket for suffering at the hands of yet another piece of "reality TV" cr@p?

I'd wager not - but am prepared to be proved wrong?

Getoutofmygalley
20th Aug 2008, 00:17
I saw Chico and Kenzie at LGW today, I was standing outside of Concorde House when they were walking in.

I just happened to be chatting to a mate who absolutely LOVES Chico, so she was desperate for me to get him to speak to her.

I just happened to glance in Chico's direction, our eyes connected and he came bounding over arm outstretched and shook my hand and was more than willing to have a quick chat with my mate.

He seemed liked a genuinely nice and polite guy - Kenzie on the other hand couldn't get in Concorde House quick enough.

I think that Kenzie will be voted off fairly quickly and Chico will actually do quite well.

Both looked fitas:mad: though ;)

LGWSTAR
20th Aug 2008, 02:43
Anybody thought how celeb air will happpen if swissport carry out their threat of strike action?

RecallCentre
20th Aug 2008, 10:45
Celebair flights only operate on fridays and saturdays. When is the planned swissport strike happening??

Are the celebs in uniform yet?

JB007
20th Aug 2008, 11:04
This has been parked just off 'Juliet' at LGW for the past few days... (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Monarch-Airlines/Airbus-A321-231/1373641&tbl=photo_info&photo_nr=2&sok=keyword_%28%5C%27%2B%5C%22CelebAir%5C%22%5C%27_IN_BOOLEA N_MODE%29%29_&sort=_order_by_photo_id_DESC_&prev_id=1380980&next_id=NEXTID)

Thank the lord i'm North Terminal!!!!!

Goldilocks95
20th Aug 2008, 12:51
Im quite looking forword to it now.....should be a laugh watching this lot! (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/realitytv/a124440/itv-announces-celeb-air-contestants.html)

VS-LHRCSA
20th Aug 2008, 15:10
I'm sorry but who the fudge is Chico?

cal900
20th Aug 2008, 16:06
Chico did this cheeky little number...

YouTube - Chico Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvr4HcC4dG8)

:suspect:

VS-LHRCSA
20th Aug 2008, 17:18
ok, now that's just 'wrong' on so many levels

must have been from a few years ago when I was commuting from IAH because I don't remember it at all - unless I blocked it, like Traveller.

loggerhead
21st Aug 2008, 14:54
Here are the list of "Celebs" :}

Monarch Airlines | CelebAir | The Celebrities (http://flights.monarch.co.uk/cnt/celebair/celebair-celebrities.asp)

Love_joy
21st Aug 2008, 16:45
I'm not cabin crew myself, but I just hope and pray the program manages to do justice to the work and commitment you guys put in every day at work.

Saw the Celebair aircraft 'pan' into BHX the other week with an ill pax - hope all worked out ok.

And how on earth did Lisa Mafia get an airside pass, doesn't she have a record? Or am I confusing her with someone else?

denis555
22nd Aug 2008, 07:24
Not enough drama, tension and suffering in an airline situation - much better if they were forced to eat insects, were regullarly beaten with bamboo poles, given a dose of beri-beri and forced to live on a bowl of rice a day.

Now THAT would be decent television.

ps I hope dear old Phil Cornwall doesn't do one of his two impressions, Michael Caine or Mick Jagger, but I bet he will...

TightSlot
22nd Aug 2008, 18:44
Good Link - I didn't know who Chico is and haven't heard of him (or anybody else in the program for that matter) - Now that I've seen the youtube link above I can happily say that I have no desire to know anything more about him.

I have become one of those grumpy old people from the BBC TV show, and you know what - I just don't care anymore who knows it. People like Chico have an important role in reminding me precisely why I don't care...

Obviously not a TV Show for old grumpies, but you youngsters have fun with it...

:)

TFlyguy
22nd Aug 2008, 20:54
The ITV website says they wll have to "deal wth a delayed flight full of families"

Hope these poor passengers are being warned if this is going to be pre-planned

flash8
22nd Aug 2008, 21:18
I genuinely don't recognize one of the (Z-List?) "Celebs" - either the production company has to scrape the bottom of the barrel here, or I'm way out of touch - either way its a joke.

What worries me more is people watch this trash.

assymetricdrift
22nd Aug 2008, 22:31
Yes, but surely the fact that it is being publicised for ITV2 says something about it? I have never heard of any of those "celebrities" - call me old fashioned if you like.

I hope though that the programme does show the true glamour behind the airline industry and makes more people aware of what actually goes on behind the scenes.

lord mash
23rd Aug 2008, 10:00
Dont think these basically unfamous people will really be living the life of a 4 sector day crew on a six day week do you? the program will be utter bo**o*s shame on you Monarch a cheap bit of publicity.

Cool Wavy NG738
23rd Aug 2008, 17:04
I've heard that they will only be looking after about 10 rows of customers in a separate cabin - I guess probably from doors 3 to doors 4 on the specially painted A321, as Monarch are selling seats as either Monarch service or Celebair service on their website.

So not exactly a hard one to work with lots of wanabee famous for 15 second chavvies. Like any airline related programme one can guarantee no doubt a whole bunch of continuity gaffes A321 suddenly morphs into a 757 etc, and as far as I'm aware from other docusoaps at other airlines and Monarch's holiday airline from 2001, producers will no doubt heavily stage a lot of it if it doesn't look good first time.

However I'm sure it will be interesting to watch and nit pick if nothing else, we shall see.

Virginia
23rd Aug 2008, 19:49
Who cares? We know what our jobs involved, pax may call us flying waitresses but we are the ones who will be saving their lives if we have to.

I may watch this, they have to go through training so perhaps some of the more idiotic pax can see how tough it is!

Whiskey Zulu
24th Aug 2008, 07:21
Honeydarling, even trailer trash can spell 'trailer' lol!

There is a lot of unnecessary vitriol on this thread. As demonstrated by EZ over the years, any publicity is good publicity, so 'shame on you MON' is a comment that will not be shared by the airline in these trying times for all!

I have it on good authority that the 'Celebs' worked really hard during their training and were desperate not to let their instructors down. They all found the training a LOT harder than they expected it to be and were left with a profound appreciation of the role of cabin crew. Hopefully, this will be evident from the TV footage and be of benefit to all.
:p

SpacePilot
24th Aug 2008, 14:15
This is jeopardising the safety of passengers.

Who is going to pamper the pilot's ego while this is going on?

dicksorchard
24th Aug 2008, 15:13
]Monarch must have some great Pr & advertising Executives .
Very clever guys/girls .

The Fly Candi Team at monarch have already cornered the market in young independent travellers .
They fly lots of clubbers aged 18-30's .
So Fly Candi flights are sold out as soon as they come onto the booking system . Well think about it why would you as a seasoned clubber want to share your flight with groups of screaming kids & growling grannies ?
You would'nt !
and as these lot are all very fashion concious label lovers lets give em a really laid back flight were even your aircraft has its own designer pictures of hot girls/boys on the side .

I for one cannot wait for Celebair its going to be a blast and the reason its on ITV2 is because a younger audience views it !!

I think the programme will be a roaring sucess as Joe pax will love the idea of being served by anyone with the remotest hint of fame surrounding them plus it has the advantage of turoring said pax as to exactly how hard the job actually is ..its not all glamour now is it ?
People might actually start apreciating you girls/guys a bit more .
Monarch can only benefit from all the publicity and like Fly Candi celebair is an absolute gem of an idea and i bet you all those other airlines are kicking their heels right now ..God 10 weeks of advertising free on national tv ?

I think its really going to take off ..good luck to all .

see below - example of absolute genius marketing.

http://flights.monarch.co.uk/images/cms/flykandi/heads_banner.jpg FlyKandi with Monarch

http://flights.monarch.co.uk/images/cms/flykandi/lady.jpg If glamour is your thing then the only way to enjoy this summer is with Hed Kandi and Monarch as together we FlyKandi to some of the hottest party destinations across Europe and beyond.
This year the FlyKandi season reaches further than ever before with events taking place at Hed Kandi's residencies in Barcelona, Puerto Banus (Marbella), Tenerife, Palma de Mallorca and Magaluf (Mallorca) as well as Ibiza.
See you on the dance floor somewhere this summer
Team Kandi xxx

irish laddie
26th Aug 2008, 12:59
To quote from the Chris Moyles show this morning:

"Celebair, the muppet show on a plane"

They also had a piece where they were onboard at LGW, asking Michelle Marsh, "do you know the best
way to Oldham?":E

Funny stuff!

Dan Air 87
26th Aug 2008, 19:46
Well at least its made its first round trip OK; I saw the a/c on approach into LGW this afternoon!

G-STAW
27th Aug 2008, 18:29
we up here at Manchester are very lucky, its been based here for months, even with the CA titles, thank god its being shot at Gatwick.

i didnt fancy seeing cheeko at 5am every moring going through staff security!

G-STAW

Service Swerver
28th Aug 2008, 18:57
I don't think I have ever read such an "amazing" selection of sour grape stories in my life. The replies to this thread can be gouped in the following catergories:
1/ Those who joke about the celebs, and then admit they don't actually know who they are ie. 40yrs plus going on 60yrs
2/ Those who slate the idea and say I won't watch it,ie. those that sky+ it and watch it alone ( mind you with a personality like that you prob watch everything alone! )
3/ Those who work for other airlines, ie. those who wish their employers could benefit from the publicity.
4/ Those ( myself included) who see this show as a piece of fun TV which will highlight the intensive training cabin crew endure and the situations we are faced with on a daily basis.
FYI the celebs are all incredibly friendly, all already well aware of the tough job we do and all eager to do well within the 10 week period.
Good luck to them all :ok:

Service Swerver
28th Aug 2008, 19:05
Oh I'm sorry I seem to have left out 2 more categories:
5/ Captainyonder - who seems to be at ease referring to people he has never met as "morons", ie. not the sort of guy you would wanna be stuck in a lift with.
6/ LordMash - who heaps shame on Monarch for participating, ie. people who appear to have overlooked the fact that Monarch have traded under the same name for 40 years, returning 40 yearly profits and have picked up numerous travel awards on the way.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Door_One_Right
28th Aug 2008, 19:34
Cool Wavy

I know what you mean about continuity. Look out for some DC10 footage.

topdog1
28th Aug 2008, 20:12
An interview with Chico, his replies :

How are you feeling about taking part in CelebAir?
"I can’t wait. I promise you this has opened my eyes completely to cabin crew and what they have to go through. I have to say I take my hat off to them and it’s given me a new insight and a new understanding and, most of all, a great deal of respect for them. So I can’t wait because we have worked very, very hard and it’s good to put everything into practise."

Are you excited or nervous?
"To be honest, for me most of it has been difficult and I think most of the people would say the same thing. Obviously some find it easier than others. For me I’ve got to say it’s been an uphill struggle, and pure hard work and determination is what’s got me through

I do believe it has opened their eyes to how hard we work.

OnTheLocaliser
28th Aug 2008, 20:25
"I do believe it has opened their eyes to how hard we work"

Chico added "Yeah, I learnt some of the old tricks such as how to close the window blind as soon as possible after take-off so the passengers drift off as quickly as possible. Then the crew can all gossip in the galley. I can't wait for the show to start" :ugh:

TartinTon
28th Aug 2008, 22:29
irishladdie...

"To quote from the Chris Moyles show this morning:

"Celebair, the muppet show on a plane"

As opposed to the sanctimonious northern tw*t Moyles who presides over the
"Chris Moyles show, the muppet show, for muppets, on the radio"

"They also had a piece where they were onboard at LGW, asking Michelle Marsh, "do you know the best
way to Oldham?"

Funny stuff!"

Yeah. When you're 12......

Does he do fart and poo gags too?

Genius

student88
29th Aug 2008, 12:02
The crew members are only trained on the A320 and A321 so no chance of the aircraft suddenly changing into a 757!

topdog1
29th Aug 2008, 12:50
Dont know where chico got that from cos I have never closed the window blinds to make them sleep in my 20 years of flying with Monarch!

SpamCanDriver
31st Aug 2008, 17:21
I always wondered why I suddenly suffered from narcolepsy shortly after takeoff!

isi3000
1st Sep 2008, 12:34
Saw the ad for his show and had to laugh. :}
Reality TV is really getting desparate...

jammydonut
2nd Sep 2008, 16:38
Tonight 2100
CelebAir ITV 2 New reality series in which 11 celebrities become airline employees - undertaking tasks on the ground and in the air. One of the group leaves the show each week and the winner receives a cash prize for the charity of their choice. Taking part are Mica Paris, Lisa Scott-Lee, Chico, Tamara Beckwith, Amy Lame, Dan O'Connor, Kenzie, Johnny Shentall, Lisa Maffia and Phil Cornwell. Angellica Bell presents

Put1992
2nd Sep 2008, 20:29
This show, is total, garbage.

whatdoesthisbuttondo
2nd Sep 2008, 20:58
Why are Monarch involved in this tat? I think it really cheapens their product.

The fact that it's on ITV 2 says it all really.

Wibblemonster
2nd Sep 2008, 21:09
That was the biggest load of bilge I've watched in a long time, thank fook I only sat through 20 minutes of it....

:rolleyes:

JB007
2nd Sep 2008, 21:12
Ditto! This industry is so PR/Image consious it does make you wonder why Monarch put their name to this...but then, no different to easyJet's Airline series...which is now on ITV2!!!

Whiskey Zulu
2nd Sep 2008, 21:21
Unfortunately. I have to agree. Supposed to show how intensive the training was............ but didn't see ANY!! :ugh:

On the bright side, any publicity is good publicity, so they say. Tho maybe we might actually be thankful that Monarch hardly got a mention!!

rich_g85
2nd Sep 2008, 21:21
I was rather hoping that one of these "celebs" might be made to liase with the flight deck crew and show themselves up... ;)

BlueTui
2nd Sep 2008, 21:57
It was painful to watch, I channel hopped and spent longer watching repeated TV shows than this waste of space.

The "zelebs" complaining they "worked so hard" after one sector to Malaga... having bottles of champagne open on the top of the drinks cart to make it more "glamourous".... :=

The way they were handing out the meals was like watching a piss up in a brewery... except that would of been funny...

This tv show may teach a few hopeless celebs what our life is really like(well nearly) but it has done nothing to educate the flying masses...

Off to Alicante on Saturday myself. We get asked more than once on a usual day how long we have in resort.. whats the betting that the question will multiply to about 328 times:rolleyes:

22/04
2nd Sep 2008, 22:17
Sorry guys

But I don't think this will cheapen Monarch at all.

The ZB staff and presumably those of whoever handles them at LGW were very professional, the interior of the aeroplanes looked good to me, and I don't think Joe P will associate the "celbs" with Monarch service.

So if it's made them a penny or two who cares.

For the pedantic only 1 slight continuity guff- G-MARA used for the ALC deperture shots.

roll_over
2nd Sep 2008, 22:30
Why did Monarch allow this and did unions not object? Whilst it is a bit of fun, I do not think it portrays Monarch in a very good light allowing celebrities to be tasked with the safety of passengers whilst on a TV show, even if they were properly trained. How much do Monarch value their cabin crew if they feel they can be replaced by celebrities for a few weeks?

Having said that, I will still enjoy watching it :eek:

Fred123
2nd Sep 2008, 22:40
For the pedantic only 1 slight continuity guff- G-MARA used for the ALC deperture shots.

Not even a continuity guff - G-MARA was used for the return leg !

They flew out on G-OZBI for the morning flight, and when that returned to Gatwick they lazed by the pool waiting to return on the afternoon flight out of LGW which was operated by G-MARA.

Monarch wouldn't leave a 321 waiting at ALC while celebs sun themselves :rolleyes:

EI-CFC
2nd Sep 2008, 23:00
Why are Monarch involved in this tat? I think it really cheapens their product.

I've had to forcibly push down my raised eyebrow. It went so high, it got stuck...

ryansf
3rd Sep 2008, 00:40
I thought they changed the aircraft - the return flight had screens on the ceiling.

What utter rubbish! Z-listers being the crew to a whole plane full of Z-listers. It made me cringe when they talked about them as if they were gods...

partyboy_uk
3rd Sep 2008, 01:36
Why did Monarch allow this and did unions not object? Whilst it is a bit of fun, I do not think it portrays Monarch in a very good light allowing celebrities to be tasked with the safety of passengers whilst on a TV show, even if they were properly trained. How much do Monarch value their cabin crew if they feel they can be replaced by celebrities for a few weeks?The "celebs" are in fact supernumerary crew on the flights (surplus to normal crewing levels) and are not in fact responsible for any exits on the aircraft they operate on. They are also accompanied by their mentors on the flights, who are all highly trained and amongst some of the most senior crew members at Monarch and more than capable of dealing with any emergency situation.

On a separate note, judging solely on the first programme, I think Monarch didn't come out of it too badly at all. However, I think less can be said of the production team of ITV2. I think the entertainment value so far leaves little to be desired. I think so little of the celebs' performance was shown, but I am hoping that was due in main to the amount of time given to the introduction of everyone in the first showing. And what was that panel of mentors lined up behind a desk at the end all about? Puuuur-leeeease!?!

A2QFI
3rd Sep 2008, 05:19
I regard myself as quite well informed and I have only heard of one of these Celebrities and I only recognise her name, not what she is known for. I guess they are mostly BB rejects and I haven't ever watched that.

denis555
3rd Sep 2008, 06:38
Series should be called "Who-is-That? Air" since that is what the missus and I said throughout the programme. apart from Andy Peters and Phil Cornwall ( not doing his Michael Caine impersonation for once ) I didn't recognise a single person.

It looked like they had just rounded up a few bods from the local McDonalds and put them in uniform - whilst they were desperate to appear "wacky" and memorable in front of the camera.

Piss poor and bilge throughout :rolleyes:

whatdoesthisbuttondo
3rd Sep 2008, 06:50
I can't see why having these vapid, thicko, trashy Z list celebrities doing their job does cabin crew any good at all. Doesn't it just make joe public think, "Well if page 3 girl whoever can do it with a few weeks training how hard can it be?"

Just because the stupid 'celebrities' are finding it slightly tough handing out drinks and food to other celebrities doesn't exactly make being cabin crew look difficult. I'm really, really surprised any cabin crew members think that this show does them any favours. It doesn't.

I think it makes Monarch look really tacky for being involved in it. That's certainly the view from non airline employees I know anyway. The easyjet programme was top quality compared to this grubby tat.

I notice that now that the show has aired the Monarch crews banging on about how great it is, suddenly don't seem so proud of it.

Ken Wells
3rd Sep 2008, 07:52
Totaly unrealistic, the crew are quite thin!

VS-LHRCSA
3rd Sep 2008, 08:21
Just tried to watch on ITV Catch Up but couldn't get through it.

First the narrator refered to the crew as "stewards", Andi Peters complaining he was queueing for 10 mins to check in, eejit. Uniform standards left a lot to be desired. Oh, and that arguement with Chiko and Mica during training. No way would I have put up with that in MY classroom.

Not sure if it's fair to lump Amy Lame in with Z list 'celebs'. She is actually a worthwhile human being who does a lot for the gay community. She's also a fantastic comedienne who has been performing for years and is well established. She has nothing to prove.

To be fair to Monarch, the show seems to be presented in a way that stresses that Celeb Air is an airline in it's own right - they are not getting a 'Monarch Service'.

And that Chiko needs to go....and not just from the show, either.

13 please
3rd Sep 2008, 11:05
Blimey, am I the only person who enjoyed watching it..??!!

Although I wished they'd showed more of the training.. But, I think that may have been quite boring for the masses...However a couple of "unplanned emergencies" in the sim may have been enlightening for some...

D O Guerrero
3rd Sep 2008, 11:12
It should be called "non-entity air"... Who are they all? I recognised Phil Cornwell, Tamara Beckwith (I feel bad that I know who she is, believe me) and Andi Peters... I realised that they plane was apparently full of "celebs" at the end! I thought they were all regular pax!
Interesting though to note that the Monarch logos were blurred out on the trolley top boxes and the aircraft's paintwork doesn't allude to Monarch anywhere. Strange arrangement. Perhaps Monarch were so embarrassed at the end of filming they decided to walk back on the whole thing...?

vancouv
3rd Sep 2008, 11:54
It's a funny old world when so many people take the time to post on here and proudly announce how ignorant they are.

Flight time
3rd Sep 2008, 12:13
Great programme.

wanderin_star
3rd Sep 2008, 12:50
Just when you think TV cannot plummet any lower alongs comes programme of complete and utter trash. Celebs ??? Didnt know any of them. Had to switch off half way through.

Caesartheboogeyman
3rd Sep 2008, 13:07
i thought it was brilliant. get me another drink, and some nuts

partyboy_uk
3rd Sep 2008, 13:37
ITV are not allowed to give "undue prominence" to branded products which is, I guess, why all the Monarch logos were blurred and all the snacks and drinks had to be offered to passengers in a Celebair paper bag and the headrests were all labelled Celebair.

It was only the first flight that they were carrying other celebrities and family members. In future, I think the plan is for just two celebs to operate per flight and the passengers will be the general public who will have booked online via the Monarch or ITV websites.

The Celebair passengers are allocated seats at the rear of the aircraft and normal Monarch passengers are allocated seats at the front. Everyone travelling on a flight will know if it is a Celebair flight or not and has the opportunity to change their flight if they so wish. Anybody not wanting to be filmed will nto be and the plan is to only film those booked in the Celebair cabin.

VLTA380
3rd Sep 2008, 14:16
I share you sentiments. ITV is really scaping the bottom of the barrell to make something like this!

Phil1980's
3rd Sep 2008, 17:22
I also loved the show...I've been for 9 cabin crew jobs...Seen Airline but this is quite good to watch...I actually thought the celebs were struggling and I still admire monarch cabin crew...and others...Even made 2 friends at Manchester airport...Monarch is a stable charter airline...plus they were used in a series of airline I think
and maybe they just decided to come up with this show...I would have like to see real passsenger though

Virginia
3rd Sep 2008, 18:48
Vile vile vile.

For one...what was up with showing a few seconds clips of the z listers in training? :ugh: They should have shown more training scenes.

The cabin scenes just seemed to illustrate serving food and drinks. They didn't have an extensive briefing, no SEP and security checks were completed, no door responsibility etc

Also...if I'm not mistaken, charter airlines don't normally nightstop in normal ops on shorthaul? So why were they just doing one flight to ALC? :confused: Not really a proper days work when many airline crew at lowcost airlines can do up to 6 flights per day!

Horrible uniforms-tacky.

AKAFresh
3rd Sep 2008, 18:55
Deep down... You all LOVE it really!!! :)

Doors to Automatic
3rd Sep 2008, 19:06
I only recognized about half of them although I was surprised to learn that Tamara Beckwith is a week older than me - she looks very good for her age!

Mildly amusing programme to have for company whilst I was working!

(and I don't think it shows Monarch in a bad light at all)

dazdaz
3rd Sep 2008, 20:42
Little bird told me re: Series Two, yes it's in production now Gaza (ex footballer) is going to be a F/O.:ok: I kid you not.

Daz

Doors to Automatic
3rd Sep 2008, 21:09
Gaza an F/O!!??? Surely you mean an F/A?

Either way I hope Monarch hide the drinks trolley :p

dazdaz
3rd Sep 2008, 21:51
Further....There is an Indian airline that if you do 100 hours in the sim one gets a piece of paper (pending medical) thinking of doing it myself.. Whoops here comes the pilots to shoot me down...Chat later girls and boys.

Daz

plumponpies
4th Sep 2008, 13:15
Gazza an F/O!!!!!!! Yea, only if he can put down his vodka bottle for 10minutes!!!!!!

BYALPHAINDIA
4th Sep 2008, 23:30
No It didn't do much for me, And likewise I only recognised 'MICA' the one who ended up sacked.

Think some of the ZB crew looked unimpressed with it all too.:rolleyes:

50 minutes of Pure TV Drivel.:ugh:

Easy Ryder
5th Sep 2008, 01:11
For those that care, training will be shown in segments for the remaining episodes.

semi42
5th Sep 2008, 06:07
itv has hit rock bottom.............and now theyve started to dig

Whiskey Zulu
5th Sep 2008, 15:57
Gazza an F/O!!!!!!! Yea, only if he can put down his vodka bottle for 10minutes!!!!!! ....

Since when has that stopped any! ;)

cal900
8th Sep 2008, 01:39
IMO the Monarch Crew came out looking very professional and decent.

Apart from that I want the 50 mins of my life back.

TwinAisle
8th Sep 2008, 08:06
I managed to catch one episode of this.

What I saw was some "celebrities" (I had heard of Kenzie, most of the rest were a mystery to me) moaning about how they had had such a long, hard day. Um, lounging by the pool must be exhausting.

Proves two things in my mind:
1. "Celebs" have never done a proper day's work in their lives;
2. Cabin crew work damned hard - and even after four sectors (let alone one) still look pretty damn fresh.

Would have been much more entertaining if the "celebs" had done a full roster. I reckon they would have passed out...

Watching this for an insight into airline life is like studying Postman Pat for interview tips for a job at the Royal Mail....

I'm not cabin crew, but once again, my respect for cabin crew reaches a new high. Good on you all, folks.

Put1992
8th Sep 2008, 09:54
Anyone care to explain why the regularly mentioned Monarch's name throughout the program, but blurred out their logo on the aircraft, and at the training establishments?

Cheers

Getoutofmygalley
8th Sep 2008, 10:16
Anyone care to explain why the regularly mentioned Monarch's name throughout the program, but blurred out their logo on the aircraft, and at the training establishments?

See post number 94!

Ms Spurtle
8th Sep 2008, 10:36
I was expecting this to be quite good (in a trashy way) - something along the lines of the channel five Holiday Reps thing.. but agree with most of the above, it was utter tripe.

Ep.1 should have been dedicated to the training process - but obviously someone at ITV decided it would be more watchable by filling a plane with Z-listers moaning about not getting a free Kit-Kat.

The production quality and narration was abysmal too.

Shame.

vodkaholic
9th Sep 2008, 14:20
The second episode is on tonight...am hoping they will show more of the training and that the flights will be a little more realistic, rather then being filled with their friends/family and fellow celebs.
I enjoyed watching it because I enjoy cheesy reality TV! I do however think it did nothing to show people how hard we actually do work and that we're not just there to serve drinks and meals.
Still, I look forward to tonights episode!!

BYALPHAINDIA
9th Sep 2008, 22:55
Your'e the only 1 then.

bermudatriangle
9th Sep 2008, 23:19
i watched 10 minutes of this series,utter garbage.fits in nicely with other reality tv such as big brother and celebrity this and that,absolute cr.. having said that,there is a never ending demand from the masses for such low grade entertainment,maybe i am in the minority,but it really is mindnumbingly dull entertainment.i despair ...enough said !

BYALPHAINDIA
10th Sep 2008, 02:43
I sometimes think, That all this 'Crappy' tv is a cause of Air Rage incidents.

And Pure Tv Drivel like this does the Cabin Crew image no Good at all.

denis555
10th Sep 2008, 08:24
I don't know why I did it but I watched episode 2 last night.

Bloody hell! I thought it couldn't get any worse - it has.

I did learn that it is possible not to give a flying :mad: about someone appearing on TV - any pretence that these are 'stars' has disappeared they all look like overgrown bored kids in a youth club waiting to do something more interesting - as for the conversations.... it really is like watching paint dry.

Never never again - i'd rather take up knitting instead

Jet22
10th Sep 2008, 14:54
I watched it last night and all i did is LMAO.

First of all when they showed the 321 taking off, they blured out the Monarch Engine logos as if to say, ITV had leased the 321 off ZB. But it dosnt stop there. If you watched very carefully, when they were doing the early TFS one of the PROPER cabin crew was taking a Sing reading Monarch Airlines, they missed that one. Also they miss quite alot of things, monarch head rest's aswell as Headphones.

Also for those of you who care, they missed the ZB logo out on the Beverage machine when he couldnt work out how much GBP change to give when a pax gave 20 Euros.

jammydonut
10th Sep 2008, 15:09
No doubt Monach are so pissed off with what they thought would be excellent free publicity they are now insisting they are not associated with the trash.
Hopefully we might have a scene where ALL the celebs are deadheading and the only passengers. Cabin announcement that aircraft is crashing, put it into steep dive and lets see the reactions.........

NIGELINOZ
16th Sep 2008, 13:11
It's total unmitigated trash,I lasted five minutes then started reading a thread in the Tech Log about A-320's Thrust Reversers.that's how boring the show was!

nordjet415
16th Sep 2008, 14:39
As an armchair fan of anything to do with aviation, I actually enjoy it, reality tv it may be, but it gives people ( who dont work in the airline industry) an insight as to what its like, If you are going to slag off this programme, you may as well also slag off airline and airport, much the same type of stuff but entertaining.

It makes a change to see something like this on our tv's instead of the usual junk they show like Katie and peter

hapzim
16th Sep 2008, 21:21
just watched tonights show..... Go Pilot Pete ... give the celebs a little turbulance :D

still no visual footage or evidence of all the training though:oh:, but as for those who want their 15 secs of fame doing okay.

poor mentor Brian lost his No1 IT girl, who actually appeared to work quite hard this week at the real job of checkin.:sad:

Spongebobsquarepants
17th Sep 2008, 05:41
I totally agree with jammydonut. Stick em all on the aircraft and put it into a nose dive. That would make us tune in. Just to see the usually desperate looking Lisa Scott Lee look like she would s**t her pants. My god that would be hilarious. I am however not desperate enough to continue watching this tripe to see if my wish is granted.

I personally watched the first episode and thought that it was bad but gave it the benifit of the doubt and gave it a second try and that is where i gave up. It is just not very entertaining, to say the least!!! For those of you out there who think that this gives you some insight into what we really do for a living then you are sadly mistaken. It is frankly just a bunch of "celebrities" that are clearly so desperate to hang onto what little fame they had playing at being crew and putting themselves in a situation were they can get whatever exposure they can. The people who i feel sorry for most in this whole shambles are the poor crew from Monarch who are, as far as i could see, remaining dignified throughout. I couldn't help but think that they looked a bit embarrassed by the whole thing.

NIGELINOZ
17th Sep 2008, 08:55
If you are going to slag off this programme, you may as well also slag off airline and airport, much the same type of stuff

The difference being that those two shows actually attempt to depict a real life situation for real airline employees coping with the day to day issues that inevitably arise when you are dealing with passengers trying to get from one place to another.
Celeb Air is just about a bunch of "celebrities" pretending to work for an airline.(And not doing it very well either).
Cabin crew and check in staff on the whole do a great job and I,as a humble SLF have enormous respect for the work they do and perhaps I'm
out of line here but I really don't see how this show can be viewed as anything other than reality tv at it's worst-worse than big brother,and that's saying something.

TwinAisle
17th Sep 2008, 09:03
it may be, but it gives people ( who dont work in the airline industry) an insight as to what its like

On that basis, you may find Camberwick Green essential viewing if you are interested in the work of the Fire Service, Ivor the Engine useful if you fancy a job at First Great Western, and as I mentioned before, Postman Pat a very close representation of life at Royal Mail....

silverhawk
17th Sep 2008, 09:07
Had the Celebair follow us into Faro 2 weeks ago, they were 2nd or 3rd behind us in the descent.

Judging by the comments on air by the PNF, it's hard for some of the pilots to avoid getting caught up in the hype of this farce. Obviously peeved at being given a descent about 40 miles before he really wanted, he transmitted ' We ARE the Celedair today'

Never mind reality TV, how about a reality check.

olster
17th Sep 2008, 09:43
silverhawk: you have got to be kidding,right?.....

whatdoesthisbuttondo
17th Sep 2008, 14:46
If I was flying that pile of crass vapid chav tat I'd keep really quiet about it.

I feel sorry for the Monarch crews, how deeply embarrassing for them to be involved in, clearly the bottom of the barrel scraping, thicko celebrity culture trashy tv.

I still don't understand why Monarch are involved in this. Everyone knows they will make a 'profit' every year anyway.

Evanelpus
17th Sep 2008, 15:33
Have you clocked the passengers at check in. Didn't see last nights (forgot for one thing, then remembered and thought, Nah...can't be arsed) but the week before there were a couple of 'ladies' wearing more slap for a two hour flight to Alicante than for a night out in Dagenham!

Oh please, save us from wanabees.

Jet22
17th Sep 2008, 16:10
That women onboard the ZB flight can remember which one she was of course going by judgment the Cabin Service manager didnt look very impressed did she (i think it was the late service to malaga i think not sure to be honest).

Go that pilot. That Z-Rated celeb was sh:mad:ing it when he said turbulence. Then when it showed the turbulence it was a odd bit, the usual i would expect on a flight when they announce turbulence.

dazdaz
17th Sep 2008, 16:19
I'm surprised at the 'bitchiness' posts from both sexes and gay c/c. Leave it out...Just a tv program to entertain the masses. Paying £145.50 quarterly for my tv licence I feel I have the right to comment on what is 'beamed' into my home. I enjoy watching this series.

How many of you dear readers have paid for a tv licence? Living at home with parents? Couch crashing? Even if this is only 50% accurate, you 50%...What right do you have to dictated/criticise what 'paying viewers' like to view.

And another thing.....Back in the 80s worked as a lifeguard, I 'm gobsmacked to learn re: pool test, you can wear inflatable jackets to do the 25m swim!!!!!

Just a question, of the above para....Do you know/been instucted as to make inflatable appliances from evey day clothes?

Daz

Daz

rick0
17th Sep 2008, 16:34
I'm surprised at the 'bitchiness' posts from both sexes and gay c/c. Leave it out...Just a tv program to entertain the masses. Paying £145.50 quarterly for my tv licence I feel I have the right to comment on what is 'beamed' into my home. I enjoy watching this series.

How many of you dear readers have paid for a tv licence? Living at home with parents? Couch crashing? Even if this is only 50% accurate, you 50%...What right do you have to dictated/criticise what 'paying viewers' like to view.

The TV licence is only for public broadcasting (BBC - although C4 did get some money for the digital switch over).. ITV is a private/commercial company who their money through advertising and not from the public... in otherwords you're not paying for it.

Spongebobsquarepants
17th Sep 2008, 16:38
None of us are saying dont watch it. I was merely pointing out that is a complete and total pile of steaming, fly infested, rotting s**t. Just an opinon. By all means, you enjoy it.

dazdaz
17th Sep 2008, 16:50
Ricko
"The TV licence is only for public broadcasting (BBC - although C4 did get some money for the digital switch over).. ITV is a private/commercial company who their money through advertising and not from the public... in otherwords you're not paying for it."

That's all very interesting dear boy, but what point are you putting across? DO YOU pay the licence fee? I DO!!!!!

Daz

rog747
17th Sep 2008, 16:50
xl airline collapse gets 2 pages on pprune

celebair car crash tv council house trash tele programme gets 7 pages

hmmmm funny that !

dazdaz
17th Sep 2008, 16:54
ROG747
So your point is??????????

daz

rick0
17th Sep 2008, 17:17
Ricko
"The TV licence is only for public broadcasting (BBC - although C4 did get some money for the digital switch over).. ITV is a private/commercial company who their money through advertising and not from the public... in otherwords you're not paying for it."

That's all very interesting dear boy, but what point are you putting across? DO YOU pay the licence fee? I DO!!!!!

Daz

Don't give me that condescending crap..

The point i'm trying to make is that no one is paying for it.. so any reference to TV licence is pointless and irrelevant... oh of course you entirely missed this rather obvious point.

dazdaz
17th Sep 2008, 17:28
RickO

"Don't give me that condescending crap"
Oh my...Do you pay a tv licence fee? Simple question.

I do. So it gives me a right to post on all things I'm paying for dear boy!

Daz

Spongebobsquarepants
17th Sep 2008, 19:17
If i were you rick0 i would just give up. He clearly does NOT get it!!

sillymoo
17th Sep 2008, 19:47
It can barely be classed as 'entertainment'. I've had more interesting evenings watching paint dry. It is quite simply a pile of festering, skid-ridden pants that have been left on the bathroom floor too long.
Dazdaz (or whatever your name is) - yes, you DO have to be able to swim at least a length WITHOUT a lifey....

:ugh:

whatdoesthisbuttondo
17th Sep 2008, 19:55
dazdaz, don't be silly.

Of course you can watch and enjoy whatever you like, nobody is saying you can't. Each to their own etc. . .

. . . . . BUT this is a thread about whether "Celebair" is total trash or not.

Most posters seem to think it is. Very few are saying it isn't. Just reading the thread title gives a little clue as to the content of it. It seems you should be starting a thread about how you've paid your licence fee and can watch what you damn well like etc.

I'm sure it'll be a hit.

You go girl.

Aiden-VAA
17th Sep 2008, 20:23
OMG this thread is soooo funny.

I watched the first episode and laughed my head off with my BA buddy.
hummm 1 sector to spain ( or wherever ) and they were exhausted!
I bet the real Monarch crew were not doing a 3hr day!

I do not do multi sector days, but that was taking the p**s

It is aload of old crap, but may watch it, just for the cheap laughs!

I feel sorry for the monarch crew, that are having to put up with it all and being connected to it!!!

A

topdog1
18th Sep 2008, 08:03
I am monarch crew, Im off to larnaca soon for a nice 12 hour day on minimum crew, have 12 hours off and back in again for another flight, 11 hours off and another 14 hour day on min crew to canary islands followed by standby which will be called out on and then another flight.

How I would love to have an extra crew member on my flights so that we can use the washroom, have something to drink and to be able to eat.

Thats the real monarch and unfortunately, the programme does not show how hard cabin crew in general work these days, but, its a tv programme, so shouldn't expect any more.

Plus I love the whispy bits (hair)! We would get hung for having Whispy Bits!

Happy flying everyone!

Bealzebub
18th Sep 2008, 20:03
dazdaz, you missed out this bit of the directive: Scope: the Directive excluded workers in air, road and rail transport, fishing and activities at sea, and doctors in training.

topdog, you cannot do a 15 hour duty and only have 12 hours off. You must have a rest period that is at least as long as the preceeding duty -1 hour (in this case that would be 14 hours.) or 11 hours, whichever is the greater. In this case that would be 14 hours. In exceptional circumstances you could be asked ( and would have to agree) to take a reduction in rest, however this would only be to a maximum of 1 hour and even then to a minimum of 11 hours. For a 15 hour duty you couldn't reduce to 12 hours.

I think I know where you are coming from, in that the 15 hours isn't necessarily "duty" in the defined sense, but for rest calculation requirements it is only the "duty" bit that figures in the maths.

Virginia
21st Sep 2008, 13:54
I have every respect for you charter and low cost airline crew who do such long days-I've been there and have no intention of doing it again! It's bloody hard work.

MancRy
21st Sep 2008, 19:50
I've done full service and low cost and both are long days so I wouldn't say there is much difference.

dazdaz
22nd Sep 2008, 19:04
Virginia (nice user name:})

I've not worked in the 'catering' sector. My only appreciation of the work hours/stresses of your employment is what I have comprehended while working as a senior producer for a forthcoming 'one off' on ITV2

Off the record, do you c/c think you work more hours/harder than an waitress in a hotel? Do you do breakfast, lunch and dinner over a twelve hour shift? I doubt it.

Whiskey Zulu
22nd Sep 2008, 20:40
Dazdaz, not that it happens often, but a waitress can call the fire brigade, police, ambulance, security when the sheet hits the fan. Cabin crew can't! Plus, they're working completely irregular shift patterns, often have multiple time zones disrupting their sleep patterns and work at a cabin altitude of 6-8000ft which is far more tiring than working at sea level. With long duty hours, plus sometimes positioning from/to their base airport on top. Yes I would say they do.

Hombre
23rd Sep 2008, 11:34
THE aircraft was sitting on stand last night at Malaga when we flew home.

Service Swerver
23rd Sep 2008, 19:29
dazdaz - I think you may have hit the button twice by mistake when you entered your age??

student88
23rd Sep 2008, 22:02
Ha Ha - so funny!

Yeah, working as Cabin Crew is tough but that's nothing compared to working for TGI Fridays on a 12 hour Saturday shift ;) (Please don't comment because I've done both and CC is certainly harder!)

Whiskey Zulu
24th Sep 2008, 06:53
S88, I think you need to study some more m8, as you've just completely contradicted yourself. :confused:

Service Swerver, your reply to dazspaz was much more to the point than mine, but no less accurate. I thought a 'SENIOR' TV producer (coffee boy) would have to be at least 4yrs old? ;)

bunkrest
24th Sep 2008, 16:31
I've worked as a waitress/chamber maid/general dogsbody in a large hotel and as cc and I can categorically state that cc is harder.

I've done the crippling 12 hour hotel breakfast lunch and dinner shifts day after painful day but at the end of it I had my own bed to go back to, my circadian rythums were in sync, the oxygen levels were plentiful, I hadn't picked up some rare and exotic disease from a nightstop in Accra, Al Kaida hadn't make me a tip top target, there were no alert calls at 3am to get me seriously considering the manner of my own death, when a guest shouted at me I could run away or if that guest decided to keel over after mixing their prescription meds with litres of Heineken I could call the paramedics, I didn't have to stay up for 36-40 hours on a regular basis, I didn't have to regularly work 14-17 hour days as hotels don't tend to get delayed diverted or fog-bound.

Simply put catering is a walk in the proverbial park compared to what flying can turn up.

dazdaz
24th Sep 2008, 16:54
Bunkrest/Et al pro with her thoughts.........

So why do you do the job? Don't tell me it's for the travel opportunities (see foreign lands) nor salary. Surely it can't be because you really get job satisfaction assisting drunken chavs, I think not.

It's the kudos of your work that attracts and impress young ladies. Is it really better than working as waitress in a hotel, from posts it seems not. It's your choice.:cool:

student88
24th Sep 2008, 17:00
Whiskey Zulu, you may wish to so some studying/research on sarcasm as that's what I was employing in my last post.

dazdaz
24th Sep 2008, 17:57
Whiskey Zulu...
"dazspaz" Thank you, I trust this might be a spelling mistake? Having said that, was it you (same user name) who applied (e-mail) for the new series? 'I want to be topless c/c'? The photos look great.

bunkrest
24th Sep 2008, 18:27
oh dear oh dear!

I did actually choose to become cabin crew for the travel opportunities. I've been very lucky and have spent a pretty resonable amount of time in most capital cities... seen the Doges Palace in Venice, taken a helicopter flight over the statue of Christ in Rio, climbed some Inca temples in Mexico and been lucky enough to visit some of the most jaw dropping art galleries, museums and temple complexes on the planet...Anne Frank's house Amsterdam, the MOMA and Frick in New York, The Capitoline in Rome, the Battle Box and Changai museums in Singapore...True its not like the 3 week stopovers that marked the 60's and 70's but I make the most of it.

No I don't do it for the drunken chavs down in row 335Z I do it for the ocassional A list or head of state in 1K or for the charming plastic surgeon in club who tells me how he's gong out to Africa to work for medecins sans frontieres.

As for the money I'm lucky - with the company I work for its more than ok - certainly better than office admin or even retail management (I worked as a recruitment consultant in another lifetime so I know my onions when it comes to wages ) the hotels are first class and the terms and conditions reasonable.

Is it really better than being a waitress? I would never put my job above others nor would I say that I am better than another. I was just commenting that the work is more emotionally and physically demanding than that of a waitress. Judging someone merely by the job they do is a huge mistake. Flying teaches you that.

mickyman
24th Sep 2008, 18:48
"ITV Celebair Total Trash"

er...so you are all watching this 'total trash' then..........!!!!!

MM

Virginia
25th Sep 2008, 08:37
bunkrest-:D

Agreed, I always make the most of the travel! :ok:

IMHO it's one of the best jobs in the world. It's not for everyone but I consider myself well paid, it's fun, I get plenty of time off to have a life, I get to 'bid' for trips and when I would like time off. I only have to buy tights for work rather than a whole wardrobe of clothes. You can't take work home with you!

Our job is SO much more than being a waitress. As we all know we are there for safety. Various idiots can think what they want but they are not lucky enough to do our job!

On a recent trip this thought poppped into my head..."make the most of this." I think that's what we should all do in these uncertain times...

Whiskey Zulu
25th Sep 2008, 20:48
dazdaz, no that was your dad m8 ;)

dolly7
27th Sep 2008, 06:54
Has Celebair been pulled? Can't see it on the TV schedule for next week?

Tuckerr
27th Sep 2008, 09:23
I think it has been moved to Thursday at 8PM according to this:

Here (http://www.itv.com/Entertainment/reality/CelebAir/Abouttheshow/default.html)

mona lot
30th Sep 2008, 20:26
I am curious as to how the contestants managed to get BAA airside passes, how did they manage to find anyone who knew what they have been doing for the last 5 years?

vancouv
1st Oct 2008, 09:59
I have every respect for CC and the job they do, but some of the posts here do smack of having your cake and eating it. One minute it's a nightmare job compared to waitressing in TGI Fridays, the next you're taking helicopter trips in Rio (while being paid to be there) which a waitress is unlikely to be able to ever afford.

All jobs have their good and bad points, it's up to the individual to decide what things are important to them and make an appropriate decision. You've decided chavs in economy are worth it for exotic locations - fair enough. As for being a terrorist target, you should check the news to see that plenty of other people are as well.

stanleystan
2nd Oct 2008, 20:30
I couldn't afford a trip in a helicopter!!!!

bunkrest
4th Oct 2008, 17:19
I don't think it's a case of having my cake and eating it I think its more a case of damned if I do and damned if I don't.

If I take offence at being cast as some sort of bean brained coffee monkey working for £5.00 an hour at Air Chav-tastic and I try to balance that stereotype with some of the better aspects of the job then suddenly I'm frittering £50 notes away on a fiesta of private air charter in Rio.

My job isn't all hellish 17 hour days filled with vomiting babies, combative chavs or the fundamentalist in 13k trying to light his shoelaces... but then neither is it one long champagne filled gad around the planet at the employers expense. The truth, as is so often the case is somewhere between these two extremes.

As for being number one on the terrorists hit list - well maybe not - the fact still remains we are on that list as September 11th, the liquid bomb plot and countless other hijackings over the years testify to.

student88
9th Oct 2008, 12:27
I had to laugh when I saw what's happened to the 'Celebair ITV2' facebook group.. looks like someones hacked into it and changed everything! God knows who the woman is at the top of the page! lol

alcockell
9th Oct 2008, 19:41
Apologies as I'm a humble SLF... but watching this one now... do you folks sometimes get jumped-up pax trying to ask if they can sit in an alternate seat?

stanleystan
10th Oct 2008, 17:04
On every flight!

Jet22
11th Oct 2008, 08:08
Had to laugh at Mr.Mario and Mr.Lisa when they got on. Moaning that they would be seated in 'Showbiz' class with everything else etc. I just Luaghed because when he said 'celeb air first class am crammed into this seat' i thought where is a PROPER cabin crew memeber to go
"Love you flying monarch, we have the same seating pitch throughout the aircraft unless seated at an Emergency Exit. If you want us to wait you on hand and foot, fly someone like British Airways, am sure you can offord that with the amount of money you made-oh i forgot your a z-lister anyway now"

Chico doing have a Shift that is scandless,but what is more that none of the mentors/ee's as they were both on came out to help her. Am sure if one you EZY crew fell ill while down time in TFS, they would do there best to keep her out of public eye, and they helpp out as on a A320 there wouldbe only 2 of them. Anyway, i like the programme just it has it faults.

Another thing that made me laugh is when Dan left and he said 'Oh i respect the Cabin Crew for what they do know'. Hang on so do i but surley the flight crew and under more pressure than the Cabin Crew.

student88
11th Oct 2008, 09:12
Hang on so do i but surley the flight crew and under more pressure than the Cabin Crew.

The show is about the 'celebs' being cabin crew not flight deck. So why would he involve them in his comment. Not as if he had a quick go at flying the aircraft for 1 sector!? Anyway? Have you ever been cabin crew? You don't know what it's like, both jobs are demanding but in different ways.

The 'celebs' were put on board the aircraft as extra crew so it doesn't matter if they fly with 1 celebrity only. The show wouldn't be very entertaining if you were watching the mentors do everything for them!

S88 :ok: