PDA

View Full Version : AOL's view on contracts and equipment

Andy Rylance
5th Aug 2008, 17:12
After two years with AOL broadband in the UK my netgear router has died.

I contacted AOL and asked them if they could send a new one and they said "not unless you sign a contract for another year."

I said I had already been with them two years (one year extra than the initial contract) so that in effect was a year extra already.

They refused. So I left their broadband services and went with someone else.

Is this the usual for broadband suppliers or are others more sensible in their approach to keeping customers?

Saab Dastard
5th Aug 2008, 21:01
In view of the amount of negative comments about AOL, I'm not surprised.

Perhaps you may find a silver lining (i.e. no longer with AOL).

:ok:

SD

dazdaz
5th Aug 2008, 21:25
" They refused. So I left their broadband services and went with someone else."

Well done Andy....People power!:ok:

Daz

Andy Rylance
8th Aug 2008, 12:42
Shame no one gives a monkey at AOL - someone "might" have thought that the higher beings of AOL would like to know why people are walking....:)

Air Mail
8th Aug 2008, 16:45
Didn't Carphone warehouse buy AOL many months ago?

A2QFI
8th Aug 2008, 19:38
No - I think they bought the OneTel phone operation. AOL belongs to Time Warner and is about to be de-merged SFAIK

Saab Dastard
8th Aug 2008, 21:10
Where have you been, A2QFI?

AOL UK was bought by Carphone warehouse 2 years ago. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6039740.stm)

SD

EI-WAT
14th Aug 2008, 17:43
Have you not taught that that you would be getting into the same situation if you go to a new ISP having to sign a contract to get a router from them. Also most people are not aware of how much their bb costs even with a new router compared to other places

IO540
16th Aug 2008, 05:50
If you want 1 in 10 of all incoming emails disposed of, sign up with AOL.

They dump spam pretty well but they lose many real emails too. Not worth the bother.