PDA

View Full Version : Factoring

levo
5th Aug 2008, 17:09
Hi all. Do you book full hobs time or flight time for maintenance and which type of heli ?

Thanks Levo.

Camp Freddie
5th Aug 2008, 17:34
now it may be just me but I dont think the question is very clear.

are you talking about what you write in the tech log or your personal logbook ?

in fact can you explain the question a bit better than this

CF

levo
5th Aug 2008, 18:04
CF

OK
Inappropriate factoring of hourmeter readings .
This is a maintenance issue do you book all the hobs time as total time or do you book skids of time as to the life time of the parts and maintenance schedule. ie 1 hour hobs time do you book .9 or 1.0 .And do different makkes have a different factoring formular

Thanks Levo

FLY 7
5th Aug 2008, 18:49
Depends what the Hobbs is measuring. Some start when the master is on, others don't start until the skids leave the ground. So, wouldn't rely on the Hobbs as it could be under/over-reading.

Don't think the CAA like 'factoring'.

birrddog
5th Aug 2008, 19:03
I don't think there is necessarily a clear cut answer to this, and it would help to know why you ask.

Typically this policy is made clear when handing over the keys and the tech log.

Are you looking to create a policy (in which case we would need more info) or are you trying to figure out what a policy should be or compare your policy to alternatives?

Understanding why you want to know would probably help in being able to respond.

ThomasTheTankEngine
5th Aug 2008, 21:08
Every helicopter type Ive flown maintance was done on flight time i.e take off - landing with one exception the R22.

On all the R22s I flew the hobbs meter worked on engine running time and thats what the maintance was based on.

Camp Freddie
5th Aug 2008, 22:05
my experience:

1. Most R22's - datcon (engine running time) less 0.1 = flight time,
2. Some R22's - datcon only
3. R44 - Datcon (as it only runs when you raise the lever)
4. all bigger types - skids off to skids on (based on your watch normally)

regards

CF

KrisRamJ
5th Aug 2008, 23:47
My Schweizer experience - datcon runs when MRGB pressure is above 2.5psi (low pressure warning off) with battery on, hobbs runs when skids off the ground with battery on.

You log datcon as flight time, maintenance comes off the hobbs.

Cheers

Kris

unstable load
6th Aug 2008, 02:23
As an engineer on ZS-Registered turbine types, the company used to book either collective up/down (206/105 etc) or wheels off/on for the rest. The Hobbs switch was either on the collective jackshaft or the squat switch.
Those were used to calculate maintenance intervals and what the pilots booked for revenue/logbooks etc was a separate, unrelated value.

Obviously these methods will differ from type to type and company to company as to how times are recorded, but most rotorcraft will be counted on flying time for maintenance.