PDA

View Full Version : Blank squares on Taskbar

Slasher
17th Nov 2000, 13:24
I always keep getting these anoying bloodey blank white squares on my W98SE taskbar, especialy after using Kodakimg, Adobe, or Windows Media Player.

When I close these programs the squares stay there blank. If I poke each square with a left-click they usualy disapear, but lately I get one that just wont bugger off unless I reboot.

Does anyone else have the same thing?

Anyone know what are these residual sqaures?

Any way to prevent these squares from forming/remaining?

Is a square that refuses to disapear using up valuable memory?

Is it a big deal?

Thanks for any help/advice.

[This message has been edited by Slasher (edited 17 November 2000).]

DreamCatcher
18th Nov 2000, 12:53
Slasher

Experienced it on 95/98/98SE/ME and NT, usually after heavy processing or background processing.

It is residual (like a ghost/zombie). It's believed to be down to screen refreshing i.e. intensive processing means that the screen hasn't refreshed as well as it should.

Nothing to worry about, and F5 may remove them all at once.

Ping An (Be Safe)

------------------
'I'll take control...'
'You have control.'
'Well give me it then!!'

The Unteleported Man
23rd Nov 2000, 20:09
Slasher,

You can check it out as follows (I'm assuming Win 9x):

Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL once. Just once NB! Your machine will pop up a list of running programs. Look over the list and then close it. Now run you offending software and close it down. Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL again. Check out the list now. If there are extra bits and pieces on it then you've new processes running (and they'll use up memory etc.)

------------------
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.