PDA

View Full Version : Windows ME worth getting?

Capt Ted Striker
15th Nov 2000, 12:55
Hi folks,
I,ve seen Windows ME mentioned once or twice and I'm wondering if it's worth buying.
Is it similar to Windows 2000 and does it require the installing of many drivers the way 2000 does?
In general, what are the improvements over Win 98?
Thanks
Ted

------------------
'Guess I picked the wrong day to quit smoking!

Flypuppy
15th Nov 2000, 13:06
Windows ME is basically Windows 98 with some bits bolted on (in the same way that win98 is win95 with bits bolted on). Basically all that offers over win 98 is that it makes it easier to create a local network at home.

Windows 2000 is NT4 with some added fuctionality, such as allowing plug and play devices.

But to answer the question, ME is really only worth getting if you want to network computers at home, otherwise hold on to win98 for the time being. Unless you can get a copy for free, of course.

Hew Jampton
15th Nov 2000, 13:56
One worthwhile feature of Me is Restore. It takes snapshots of your system periodically or on request. If you subsequently make a balls up (eg installing dodgy software), you can restore the system to a previous correctly working setup. I didn't have to reinstall any drivers for modem, printers, scanner, monitor etc.

But Me doesn't seem to work with PPRuNe Chat!

[This message has been edited by Hew Jampton (edited 15 November 2000).]

DreamCatcher
15th Nov 2000, 14:30
I got my copy buckshee.

Prefer it to 98 on the grounds that it installs far more quickly, you can reinstall from within Windows or from a prompt (all settings saved) - unlike 98 which likes a 'clean' install.

You can install it over 98, and then if you don't like it, remove it, leaving 98 intact.

I found it networks far easier, there are some interesting features (e.g. thumbnails),
it set up my modem instantly without specific drivers and gave me the fastest connections ever.

Granted it's not perfect (what is?), but it's far more stable than 98, and I like it.

:)

------------------
'I'll take control...'
'You have control.'
'Well give me it then!!'

Capt Ted Striker
17th Nov 2000, 01:16
Thanks for the info guys!
It seems if I can get a freebie it might be worth installing.
Ted