PDA

View Full Version : AOL using TCP/IP and DSL

johnfairr
5th Aug 2008, 09:22
Morning all.

I've got a fairly new HP Pavilion Entertainment PC running Vista. AOL is my provider, though I can access the net in other ways such as Opera and IE.

Had an update from AOL over the weekend, which I installed, telling me that because I was on a wireless network, everything was hunky-dory and no sweat.

Now, here comes the interesting bit. When I hit "connect" on the AOL screen, the PC bimbles off and normally connects me, either by TCP/IP or by DSL. Is there a method by which I can choose which protocol? It appears that DSL doesn't want to play and connection is refused. I've had a look at the "Windows Vista for Dummies" book and can't find any steers there.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

jf

Saab Dastard
5th Aug 2008, 10:51
John,

Differentiate between a browser and an ISP:

AOL is my provider, though I can access the net in other ways such as Opera and IE

Here AOL is an ISP, Opera and IE are browsers. You cannot access anything on the internet without an ISP.

the PC bimbles off and normally connects me, either by TCP/IP or by DSL. Is there a method by which I can choose which protocol?

There is no "either" here. DSL is the physical connection, while TCP/IP is the communication protocol that runs over the physical connection.

TCP/IP is to DSL as English is to a telephone.

SD