PDA

View Full Version : .jpg files

Unwell_Raptor
29th Oct 2001, 23:52
PC working normally.
All of a sudden, it won't show .jpgs. The bottom bar says 'done', no error message, but no picture either, Any ideas?

PII 350, W98, recently increased RAM from 64 with new 128 chips

I'm beat!

What_does_this_button_do?
30th Oct 2001, 01:39
What version of Internet Explorer?

In the links bar there is an option "toggle images" - click on that just in case you've set it to off.

[ 29 October 2001: Message edited by: What_does_this_button_do? ]

Unwell_Raptor
30th Oct 2001, 14:30
IE6

Can't find the toggle images!

Molly1
30th Oct 2001, 15:16
You have probably checked this out, but if not it's worth a try, although it may be for multimedia only.
Click on Tools, then Internet options, go to advanced and see if Show pictures is enabled.
:)

[ 30 October 2001: Message edited by: Ramp1,2&3 ]

Unwell_Raptor
30th Oct 2001, 15:45
Thanks R123. It is.

30th Oct 2001, 15:51
Instructions:

Start Internet Explorer, and then click Internet Options on the Tools menu.

On the Advanced tab, click to clear one or more of the following check boxes in the Multimedia area:

Show Pictures (prevents pictures from appearing automatically)
Play Sounds (prevents sounds from being played automatically)
Play Videos (prevents videos from being played automatically)
Play Animations (prevents animations from being played automatically)

Click Apply.

Molly1
30th Oct 2001, 17:00
W_D_T_B_D
Why would you want to CLEAR these boxes? :confused:

30th Oct 2001, 21:05
To speed up page delivery.

I know of two PPRuNer's who are in remote locations where internet connections cost a fortune. By turning off graphics will speed up page delivery and thus they can read their favourite digest at speed and save money!

Unwell_Raptor
30th Oct 2001, 21:45
No luck so far - funny thing is, I can put the pictures into Word 97, so the prob. is presumably in IE.

PaperTiger
31st Oct 2001, 00:48
U_R
How are you trying to open them -
Clicking from Windows Explorer ?
Open from the IE File menu ?
Keying the URL into the IE address box ?

And, do .gifs work OK in your IE ?

Unwell_Raptor
31st Oct 2001, 02:10
.gifs don't work either. If I try Windows Explorer, the bottom bar says 'done' but the picture does not show. If I create a new email and insert a picture, no problem, it appears.

:confused: :confused:

PaperTiger
31st Oct 2001, 10:04
Beats me.
I did find a reference to some instances of 'interference' between IE6 and Norton/McAfee anti-virus products. One of the symptoms was non loading of images, and the fix was to decrease the security settings, or uninstall and reload the AV.
Apparently if you right click on the page and chose 'show image' it does then appear.
Only other suggestion (straw-grasping) is to verify the file-to-program associations are still OK in Windows Explorer (although I would have expected a pop-up if it couldn't find the program).

ShyTorque
3rd Nov 2001, 01:29
UW,

This sometimes happens on my computer if the connection has slowed right down, probably due to a lot of users on the same site. If you wait a while the pics may show up after all, all by themselves.

Lurk R
8th Nov 2001, 08:09
Can you open the with jpg's with Photo Editor or Paintshop?

Unwell_Raptor
11th Nov 2001, 13:36
Just to thank everyone for their suggestions. I decided to download a new IE6 from the Windows Update site. Although I was altready running OE6, the icons have been changed a bit, and everything is now fine.

It's little adventures like this that make the Microsoft experience so rewarding - :mad: :mad:

OzPax1
11th Nov 2001, 18:37
NOT!!! :D :D :D

I know what you mean UR!! :mad: :eek: :rolleyes: