PDA

View Full Version : HeavyLift Cargo Belfast RP-C8020, Malta

Ada Quonsett
4th Aug 2008, 10:58
Malta: Fri Aug 01, 2008 HeavyLift Cargo Belfast RP-C8020 HVY502 STA: 1645http://maltaspotters.14.forumer.com/

Ada Quonsett
4th Aug 2008, 18:28
Heavylift Cargo Airlines [RP-C8020] Shorts SC-5 BelfastAirport: Malta Luga (MLA)The Heavylift Belfast, based in Australia and wearing a Philippine registration, arrived on a special charter to swap two Bristow Super Pumas in Malta. It is wearing the new corporate livery. Skyliner - aviation news & more (http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=nav2&picid=4978&SkyID=947896197ff864f44f453b149b22ae43)

Yak97
4th Aug 2008, 19:46
Is this the same Heavylift Cargo that appears on the EU banned list, as registered in Sierra Leone (seeing as Malta is in the EU)?

Air767
5th Aug 2008, 04:58
Heavylift Cargo was only banned because it was registered in the Sierra Leone as 9L-LDQ.
Those airlines which are under Sierra Leone are all banned even in Congo except the one that operates to Belgium with the B767 forgot the name.It used to operate a tristar Hewa Bora i think??

Now giving that all Heavylift planes are reg in Philippines they were granted a permit to land here but that was not enough.I had info that the DCA went to inspect the plane and asked some questions regards where maintenance is done etc etc!!

The beuty should be leaving today back to Australia but no idea of timings!!

Malcolm

Fareastdriver
5th Aug 2008, 05:40
Heavylift Cargo is an Australian operation. They do a lot of work for RAMSI (Regional Aid Mission to the Solomon Islands) which is led by the Australian Goverment so I don't think there would be a problem with their operation or maintenance. It is probably too much hassle to register it in Oz being a unique type, little or no manufacturers backup which is why it is registered in the Philippines.
It is almost certainly being chartered by Bristows Australia returning a couple of G reg 332s back the the parent company. One of the replacements is a 225 that I believe is going on a long range contract in Broome.
They would'nt be able to return them to the UK direct. The old Belslow couldn't get over the Alps.

411A
5th Aug 2008, 07:28
The old Belslow couldn't get over the Alps.

Really?
I knew it was slow...but altitude challanged as well?

JW411
5th Aug 2008, 08:12
Why on earth would you want to fly over the Alps? I went from UK to Malta and back dozens of times in the old girl and never felt the urge to cross the Alps.

Always try to fly in the centre of the sky and avoid the edges if it is at all possible.

chimbu warrior
5th Aug 2008, 08:52
I had info that the DCA went to inspect the plane and asked some questions regards where maintenance is done etc etc!!

Maintenance? What maintenance?

If it flew in, it will fly out. :D

Fareastdriver
5th Aug 2008, 10:51
Flying from Malta to the UK is easy and quite scenic. In 1966 a Belfast was used to recover 230 Sqns Whirlwinds from Labuan to the UK. Apparently the leg from Bahrain to Akrotiri through the mountains around Van was a heartstopper worrying whether one of the engines would stop. It's still a streamlined block of flats held up by a Brittania.

superspotter
5th Aug 2008, 15:56
Malcolm, Hewa Bora have also been banned from European skies and the 767 is impounded at Zaventem:)

jammydonut
5th Aug 2008, 16:32
Flew Gatwick - Boston at 5000ft once unfortunately with headwind we had to drop by Gander. Amazing spacious corkpit.

sled dog
5th Aug 2008, 19:07
Fareastdriver, it is " Britannia " with one " T ". At least we could get up over most of the weather . But not all , which lead to some " interesting " moments, especially descending into Gan...........:cool:

Air767
7th Aug 2008, 16:07
Hi Guys
the Belfast returned back to aussie yesterday.Sorry for my delay in posting but was at work.The SC5 after dept had a fuel leak and had to return to Malta for a minor pipe change.then it left 3hrs later making it possible for another set of pics which I didnt manage to get as I was heading to work.It flew all the way at 9000ft obviously guessing that it regained more altitude as it burnt fuel on her way back to Fujairah.It carried a helo to Aussie reg:G-ZZSO and brought a helo to Malta reg:G-BMCX.
Yes the DCA went on her and asked 20questions to the crew!!
G-BMCX will fly to Libya in coming weeks probably that why they did not came to UK to pick up the helo from there.But who knows maybe she will return one day!!
Malcolm

Fareastdriver
9th Aug 2008, 01:20
sle dog
I am not knocking the old girl deliberately. When they were withdrawn they were sorely missed. The RAF's only tactical mobile radar unit was designed to be carried in a Belfast. When they were suddenly withdrawn this unit was in Belize. As far as I know it is still there.

exlatccatsa
10th Aug 2008, 21:28
More info and picture of G SO on this Rotorheads thread
http://www.pprune.org/forums/rotorheads/336859-aberdeen-scotland-broome-australia.html

Hockham Admiral
12th Aug 2008, 15:16
Jammydonut, are you certain it was 5000ft??? I have over 10,000 hours on the Belfast and I certainly can't imagine that you would get even as far as Gander at that height!

Stratofreighter
14th Aug 2008, 13:21
Sister G-BEPS at Southend will probably not survive the end of this month...

See
http://www.pprune.org/forums/aviation-history-nostalgia/248140-shorts-belfast-southend-3.html#post4326425
and
Short Belfast G-BEPS - Page 2 - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80086&page=2) .

Yes, scrapping for spare parts... :{