PDA

View Full Version : Found: A good journo reporting about aviation!

necro
3rd Aug 2008, 23:40
Just listened to Greg Cary (Brisbane AM band 1116 4BC from 0900am). He interviewed Capt Ian Woods from AIPA. Cary said he is disturbed about how some sections of the media report the hydraulics incident as an emergency when it was a precautionary landing and that the QF30 had plummeted instead of a controlled emergency descent. He is on our side guys! Was very refreshing to hear.
:ok:

apache
4th Aug 2008, 00:30
yeah... and today I walked into a bar with free beer, and saw Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and a smart blonde playing cards.....

I still am yet to be convinced.

Pinky the pilot
4th Aug 2008, 03:54
Struth Apache! You've become somewhat more cynical since the last time I saw ya.:eek:

Maybe you need some more garlic bread!:ok::ok::E

F111
4th Aug 2008, 04:00
Perhaps they don't have the good garlic bread in NZ.

Skystar320
4th Aug 2008, 04:37
And they say, pigs dont fly....... do they?

blow.n.gasket
4th Aug 2008, 09:04
No they just become management!:}

slackie
4th Aug 2008, 20:52
"garlic bread"...is that kinda like "the ballet" (Aussie ATCOs should understand the question):confused:

apache
4th Aug 2008, 21:43
if I knew what "the ballet"was, then I could answer you...

GoGirl
4th Aug 2008, 22:47
hahaha!!

Cynical our Pachie?.....never :rolleyes:

GG xx

Old 'Un
4th Aug 2008, 23:01
I'm old enough to remember when SOME journos were bona fide aviators. These folk reported accurately. Unfortunately, these aviator journalists are now seen as "over the hill" and unable to write a really sensational aviation piece. This opinion is often held by the subs and editors of the 'news' organisations they worked for.

The new breed of X & Y Generations journos think they know everything and take it as a personal affront when anyone suggests that their reporting is inaccurate, mis-representative or just plain wrong. Their usual form of rebuttal is: "You old farts are living in the past", meaning that things have changed and planes no longer fly according to the rules of physics that applied 2, 3 or more decades ago.

Occasionally (Laws of Probability?) a younger journo is drawn into the fold and actually does some flight training on real aircraft, not FlightSim. Greg Cary may be one of these.

It may be worthwhile nurturing this bloke and feeding him the good oil, in the hope that he may become the aviation 'guru' because he both has the contacts and genuinely understands aviation.

There are still some good people on the 'other side'. Give them as fair go before you rubbish them, please.

Le Vieux

blade root
4th Aug 2008, 23:29
At the end of the day, it is the ignorant reporting for the ignorant....

C441
4th Aug 2008, 23:53
Journos are media salesmen/women.

Regardless of the subject, a journo's intent is to produce a story that will encourage the public to buy their newspaper, watch their channel, listen to their station.

It takes very well written accuracy to outperform semi-factual sensationalism when sales and ratings are at stake.

Old 'Un
5th Aug 2008, 00:22
C441: You're quite correct. This is especially true when the accurately-reported story is a non-event which, by judicious misportrayal or omission of certain facts/evidence ("spin"), can be sensationalised.

(Too many big words. I think I need another glass of red and a lie down.)

Le Vieux

undervaluedATC
5th Aug 2008, 01:17
let me know when you find an actual "investigative" reporter.

QSK?
5th Aug 2008, 01:18
Talk about irresponsible journalism.

Last night watching the SBS news the reporter, commenting on Qantas' run of "incidents", stated the an incident over Adelaide "...involved a door opening in mid flight" (or words to that effect)Without further qualification, the average fare paying punter would assume that this would obviously be the passenger door that opened, right? A more serious event.

My understanding is that it was, in fact, an undercarriage door.

PlankBlender
5th Aug 2008, 01:46
C441, correct, journos are salespeople. Here's a thought: Aviation is without doubt one of the most fascinating areas of engineering, human endeavour and adventure. So how difficult can it be to sell gripping news stories about aviation? :confused:

I agree with the other posters that the silly bland know-it-all journos have ill-jugded sensationalism as their only tool. :yuk: And a short-lived burst of stories is all that ever produces, since the reporting can have no lasting effect as it can not gather momentum due to an obvious lack of substance.

As we probably all know, if you feel the passion about all things flying, you can pass it on. So as a journo who is genuinely interested in the industry, you should be able to produce some stellar reads.. :ok:

Good luck to anyone who gives it a genuine try, and if I can help instil or further the passion, PM me, I'm regularly buzzing around Melbourne for fun and I sometimes have a spare seat ;)

TROJAN764
5th Aug 2008, 02:00
Didn't Geof Dixon used to be a journalist?:E

Pinky the pilot
6th Aug 2008, 04:27
My understanding is that it was, in fact, an undercarriage door.

The ABC radio in SA reported that the door apparently failed to close when the gear was retracted!:hmm:

Which means that they got it right?

Hottie
7th Aug 2008, 14:35
Having read all the posts re Qantas' attention lately, I couldn't just sit back and read...

Whilst I sincerely feel pity for all affected by the goings-on at QF, I also see this an opportunity for issues to be addressed, as many others have expressed. It would be a big shame indeed to see an Australian Icon, that is Qantas, being subjected to such negative display.

Sure, I'm not taking sides, and whilst not even an employee of the said airline, nor being otherwise biased, it is easy for one to form an opinion based on what's being said by our not-so-intellectual journos, who just love creating a scene... hmm.. office hours getting longer ? Or are you all experiencing paycuts as well ? Let me guess.. the drive to work (increased fuel costs) is finally taking a toll on you also, and need to find 'other' ways of making ends meet, by slagging off (in sometimes ridiculous, uneducated and stupid comments) a company, who, like others worldwide, may possibly be going through 'tough times', perhaps attributable to certain individuals, cirumstances etc etc...
Folks, at the end of the day, people need to BOND together in these times..these incidents could well and truly be occuring in YOUR airline, your field of employment, your industry.
Fingers crossed it works out for all involved in any way with Qantas

From a passionate aviation participant,
Good luck !

VH-Cheer Up
8th Aug 2008, 14:45
Huh?

What was that about?