PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Internet Connection

ITI_IKA
9th Nov 2000, 07:20
Help from computer guru needed,:- A new server company is advertising high speed internet connection here in ozz,they garantee connection at 56000bps,at the moment my 56k modem usally runs at between 38k to 40k when connected to the internet,my Question is will connection to the PPruNe server be at 56k. [ My real reason for wanting this speed is so thatI can read more posts. Signed Impatient.

Capt. Horrendous
9th Nov 2000, 11:04
I had a similar problem myself, solved it by altering the 'port settings'.

Assuming you are running windows, try this.

In 'dialup networking' right click on your chosen connection. Click on 'properties' then 'configure' then 'connection' then 'port settings'. You will see two buffer sliders, which basically control the speed of your connection. Slide both of these over to the right. Doing this sped up my connection from typically 33kbps to always over 50kbps. Good Luck.

------------------
Horry Snr.

InFinRetirement
9th Nov 2000, 13:55
You had best be careful when changing the defaults of the rx and tx buffers. If your actual phone line can't give 56k - and they all vary - mine is around 46666 to 48000 bps. Changing the rx buffer can slow your computer down as it tries to catch up. In a lot of instances it will just stop/hang, and won't catch up.

Best to SEE what you normally get over a few days. Just hover your mouse over the two little computers on your status bar when you are on line, and see what the average reading of the bps is.

[This message has been edited by InFinRetirement (edited 09 November 2000).]

spannersatcx
9th Nov 2000, 17:33
ITI_IKA the answer to your question is no. 56k is the theoretical speed and won't be achieved on a single telephone line. The only way to get better speeds is to get ISDN/ADSL/T1/Cable etc. The 56k only works one why, I can't think which way at the moment, in other words when uploading or downloading and not both ways, and you would need to be plugged in next to the telephone exchange to get that anyway.

ORAC
9th Nov 2000, 21:18
As said, 56K is a theoretical limit, rarely achieved.

Your ISP will be attached to the exchange digitally, T1 etc. If you are close to the exchange, have a very low noise line, a very good modem and good luck - you may achieve download at near 56K. Normally 44-48K would be good.

For an upload using your modem you will tend to get around 35-36K.

jjj
10th Nov 2000, 04:23
Telephone extension cords are often a cause of slow connection speeds. If you are using one try plug your modem directly into the outlet. I usually get 4-5k better when connected directly.

ITI_IKA
10th Nov 2000, 21:30
To C.H. I have moved sliders from 1/3rd to fully right, went from 38k to 40k last night. To I.F.R. When I logged on tonight it was down to 36556k, I shall be wary of the lock ups and change back to old settings if it happens. To Spanner. ISDN is coming here very soon but it is expensive I will probably have to stick with what I have got. Orac. The exchange is miles away,but I think there is a repeater about 10ks away. To jjj My house is about 150mtrs away from telephone roadside cable,and being that I do my gardening with a Bobcat that has a magnetic attraction to underground cabling, hence the two sparate joins, maybe I should think about pulling in a new cable " never gave that a thought". Thank you for your time and advice good people. I.I

------------------