PDA

View Full Version : Wokka spotting

EyesFront
3rd Aug 2008, 18:01
I enjoy the sight and sound of the mighty Wokka as much as anyone, but why on earth was one flying over the Scillies a couple of days ago?
I was paddling a sea kayak in some 'interesting' sea conditions, and it certainly made a welcome change from the constant stream of S61s

airborne_artist
3rd Aug 2008, 19:51
Grey with red on it, or just grey? If the former, then on a SAR task, if the latter, then it was on its way to/from Mother, probably.

scarecrow450
3rd Aug 2008, 19:56
Thought a wokka had been seen, not a Sea King ?:bored:

airborne_artist
3rd Aug 2008, 20:00
the mighty Wokka

Sorry - The Mighty Wokka - apologies. Sunday evening and a couple of glasses of best malt :ok:

God knows - Wills on his way to/from some nuptials/stag do :confused:

Green Flash
3rd Aug 2008, 20:01
I know the media is going on about RAF SAR being sent (yes, I know, crews) to Helmand but the Chinook now doing SAR?! And in Navy colours?! Now dont get the fish heads started!

Green Flash
3rd Aug 2008, 20:03
OK a_a, simul. posts:ok: Will's crossed my mind too! Maybe he was surfing back from the Carribean:E

EyesFront
3rd Aug 2008, 22:35
Definitely a Chinook. I was starting to paddle across St Mary's Roads when it appeared to the North, probably over Tresco. I'm sure young Master Wales would have chosen better weather to drop in for a beach party, and as far as I know the terrorist threat from the Isles of Scilly is not currently significant, so we don't (yet) have a war there. Maybe the CAS just fancied a visit to the Gardens...

Sea kayakers doing the crossing between Cornwall and the Scillies are sometimes advised to follow the helicopters if they become temporarily unsure of their position while out of sight of land. I would definitely advise against following the Navy Merlin that flew circles over us while crossing on the Ferry!

spheroid
4th Aug 2008, 10:44
The Chinook was going to lunch at St Marys. The Navy Merlin was just lost and trying to realign its nav