PDA

View Full Version : America or Europe

captain.weird
3rd Aug 2008, 16:55
Hello everybody,

I have a question. Mostly everyone knows where you can get your pilot licences on the cheapest way => AMERICA! Ok, america america america but you can do your courses in America on the JAA way or the FAA way. If I know where I want to fly (now it's Europe) so I will do the JAA way. But I think 60% will get his licences in America so there are so much pilot's there so there are not so much pilotjobs in America I think. But I don't want to fly in America I just want to fly for an Europe Airline. So I think, an European Flight School! But here the flying schools (mostly of them) are very expensive. But I was thinking, I can get some licences in America (JAA PPL + hour building) and the rest here in Europe. But why then not full in America? What does the mostly airlines wants? Modular or integrated? And wich school do you guys recommend?

Cheers,
CW

waiterpilot
3rd Aug 2008, 17:25
You can get a fully compliant JAA license that requires no conversion on return to Europe with the PPL and the CPL. You can also do your Night Qualification, Multi Rating, IMC, ATPL theory exams and (obviously) hour building no probs over in the States.

With the IR however, you must do your flight test in European airspace; so you cannot do the full IR course in the US, you have to do at least some of it over here (which is fair enough as otherwise you could have a JAA fATPL without flying in Europe once!) There is a good thread on converting an FAA IR to a JAA IR (should you decide to do that option) here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/327992-jaa-instrument-rating-faa-ir-conversion-jaa.html) with people who have acually done it.

If you want any more details on some of the JAA schools in the US, PM me as I went to a couple.

As far as Modular vs Integrated goes; I have just finished the modular route, and am quite happy with my decision. It depends on your circumstances really which one is better, but I am not sure if either would give you much of an advantage in terms of jobs especially in the current thrilling times that we live.

daria-ox
3rd Aug 2008, 17:58
It doesn't matter if you go modular or integrated. You get the same result in the end. I was thinking of doing JAA PPL + hour building in America, but then I realised I'll probably spend the same money because there I would also have to count in the living + accomodation costs. So in the end I would spend the same amount of money but doing it a different country. I think maybe the UK isn't the cheapest way but the training here is good. I know a lot of good school with good instructors etc. I also think it's a better idea to do the whole training in one school than moving around because then your instructor won't know exactly where you still need help, what you're good at and all this stuff. So my advice is, take your time, and do all your training in Uk/Europe with one school :)

captain.weird
30th Aug 2008, 18:13
But the most airlines want Integrated not? And for the most Airlines, is modular some times negative, but that is when you have done your training at 3/4 schools right? Who can explain this to me?

Greetz!

CW

INNflight
30th Aug 2008, 22:33
But the most airlines want Integrated not? And for the most Airlines, is modular some times negative, but that is when you have done your training at 3/4 schools right? Who can explain this to me?

I think most of the time they just could not care less, really!
Modular does NOT mean training at several flight schools.

You could for example do your PPL at "Look-ma'-i'm-a-pilot" Flight Training in SkyHigh, California, then head back home, work some months assisting your local ice cream salesman, maybe then decide you are more into flying and save some money, go back to the SAME flight school where you got your PPL and continue with your CPL, Multi, IR and all the fancy stuff that has to be on yr license :8