PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else had trouble with IE5.5 ??

lame
30th Jul 2000, 05:16
I recently downloaded the new IE5.5 from the Microsoft website on to my desk top and my lap top. BOTH then had trouble virtually every time I used IE it would say "performed an illegal operation" and shut down. I uninstalled it from both and they are both working fine again.

Anyone else had similar trouble?? seems odd, but it was the same on both computers??

ACK
30th Jul 2000, 08:23
Don't worry it's not only you. I've tried several times, it gets to a certain point and stops. I'm also after an Australian download site, the only one I've found is in North America. Can anyone help us out?

InFinRetirement
30th Jul 2000, 12:34
I downloaded mine from Microsoft a few weeks ago and I have never had a problem. In fact I think it is the best yet. But, of course, it is still a beta version isn't it?

Late Landing
30th Jul 2000, 16:22
Yea, the same problems with IE5.5. 'Illegal operation' and other time just hangs requiring a reboot. I'll give it a week or so, but if it doesn't settle down have to un-install.

EGCC Rwy 24
30th Jul 2000, 22:42
Guys, keep a close eye on how much spare disk space you have. I was running quite low and IE5.5 seems unable to cope when it wants to make the swap file bigger.

Cleared some space and it's fine now.

Hope that helps!

lame
30th Jul 2000, 23:38
Thank you all.........

On both machines I had plenty of disc space, particularly the lap top. Then after downloading IE5.5 I ran the disc clean up, scan disc and disc defragment on both machines, still neither worked properly??

Scallywag
1st Aug 2000, 18:43
InFinRetirement,it's no longer a BETA version, I don't know if it was when you downloaded it LAME. If it was then perhaps that could be the cause of your snags. I downloaded from here just a fortnight ago and it works fine - fingers crossed.
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

ps. Also on the update site, windows media player 7 is no longer a BETA version, and it's a really huge improvement over previous versions, especially for CD/MP3 management and recording.

Good luck, Scally

lame
2nd Aug 2000, 01:15
Scallywag,

I downloaded it the first day it was available, saw an item on the news about it's full release, as you say not beta, then checked the site and it was there already so I downloaded it that day.

Maybe I will try it again now?

Regards,

"lame"

Tallbloke
2nd Aug 2000, 02:07
If it ain't broke.....

lame
2nd Aug 2000, 04:02
Couldn't agree more, however I thought the upgrade to 5.5 would bring improvements, didn't expect it to keep crashing my system. That is why at present I have uninstalled it and gone back to the 5.01.

BoeingBoy
2nd Aug 2000, 21:55
Slightly related, I cannot get McAFee Virus scan clinic to run online with IE5.1.

Contacted their tech site and was told that it will only run with IE5.5. Since I have been aware of the above complaints for some time, I don't want to down load it. However having paid my $29.95 to use the online scan facility at McAfee then it looks like lost money. (Have tried purging all temp and internet temp files, but the scan just freezes at 1/3rd complete).

lame
3rd Aug 2000, 01:44
BoeingBoy,

Thank you for that, actually I have gone back to IE5, not 5.01 as I previously incorrectly said, in view of your news think I will stay there for now, as I have McAfee Clinic too and have their Activeshield as my antivirus protection.

Regards,

"lame"

ACK
6th Aug 2000, 16:05
Does anyone have any thoughts on Netscape? I remember what it used to be like, has it improved much - how does it compare to Explorer?

MAX REVERSE
8th Aug 2000, 17:45
To answer ACK's original point, the download does "freeze" for several minutes (at 32kb downloaded if I remember correctly). Be patient - it will resume.

dr
8th Aug 2000, 20:14
No serious problems with IE 5.5 these last few weeks - but no improvements in performance noted either! :)

spannersatcx
9th Aug 2000, 18:00
ACK, communicator is at around v4.73 later this year v6 to be released. Only ever use communicator, always seems much faster and easier to manage that IE 5.

stickyb
11th Aug 2000, 11:23
There is a major problem with incompatability between IE5.5 and Adaptec EZ CD creator version less than 4.02. DOn't even try to install them together.