PDA

View Full Version : Installing a network - cable connections.

Bear Cub
29th Jul 2000, 02:50
I have two PC's - one called "Office" (which will be the server), one called "Green room" (which will be the [first] 'slave').

I have bought 100' of Cat5 cable - a box of RJ45 plugs and a crimping tool - along with a few sundries for the 'box in the wall'.

Initially I want to link the two machines together directly - then, at a later date, split the cable and insert a hub for another two outlets - which will give me a choice of where to install PC3, called "laptop".

Thought the easy way to start would be wire straight through - pin 1 to pin 1 onwards to pin 8 to pin 8. Then use a "fly lead" from the wall box to the rear of the "Green Room" machine - the connections in this "fly lead" would be crossed to get the data transfer to work. When the hub goes in, I'll make another straight through cable for the fly lead.

I think I'm ready, only thing I'm definitely missing is the connections for the cross over lead. Is it simply pin 1 to 8, 2 to 7, 3 to 6, 4 to 5...or what?

If it makes any difference, it's going to be a 10/100 system, using a Cat5 four twisted pairs cable.

That's it. Any answers?

<edit was for a typo I spotted>
------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

[This message has been edited by Bear Cub (edited 29 July 2000).]

ExSimGuy
29th Jul 2000, 09:20
I thought I had something in the office about this, but can't find it (!) However, it's probably easier to buy the "crossover" as a patch cable from your local dealer; most stockists hold both the "straight" and "crossover" patch cables to connect from wall plug to computer.

Just don't forget to replace the crossover with a straight when you introduce the hub into the system!

Good luck.

Bear Cub
29th Jul 2000, 16:45
Yeah..considered the "buy a commercial cable" idea - but it just seemed unfair when I have two dozen RJ45 plugs and so much cable.

Unless somebody comes in with the connections this weekend I'll buy the crossover lead.

We've tried the AK47's but there is a problem with the safety catch - the bears can't get their paws around it. Did hear somebody growling "Who's been shooting my AK47?"

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

Agent86
30th Jul 2000, 12:25
BC,

Try this site for a diag of crossover setup http://www.tc.cc.tx.us/rj45_wiring_scheme.html

Or do a search on http://askjeeves.com for RJ45 diags.

I think from memory that you can on get 10 mb/s from a crossover. To get 100 Mb /s you need to use a 100 Hub. I am using a netgear 10 Mb hub with 3 Desktops and a laptop and it works fine. Didn't have much luck with a straight crossover cable so went the hub option.

Max

ORAC
30th Jul 2000, 13:49
Wiring for a cross-wired patch cable.
T568B (258A)

pin colour pin

1 white/orange 3
2 orange/white 6
3 white/green 1
6 green/white 2

OzmateBugsmasher
1st Aug 2000, 11:57
crossover cable will work as fast as the slowest network card in the pair. if you have 2 100mpbs cards then the connection will be 100.

1 100 and 1 10 the conx will be 10mbs.

Add something like Wingate and you can share you internet etc.

Otto-Pilot
1st Aug 2000, 16:22
Or just buy a hub now. Mini hubs (I have a Bay one) are dirt cheap - £30 for an 8 port job. If you get the hub now it saves you rewiring the cable later when you want to add more PC's to the network.

Just my tuppence worth .. hope it helps