PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation request - Helicopters and Horses

johned0
2nd Aug 2008, 14:14
Bit of an odd ball request but here goes.

Mrs. Ed and I would like to go away for the weekend and she is into horse riding :{ so I am looking for somewhere in the UK that we can fly into that has accommodation and horses for treking / riding.

All suggestions gratefully received.

John

VfrpilotPB/2
2nd Aug 2008, 15:29
The only thing that the two have in common is the letter H,

Helicopters should not ever be within 1Km of live horse's, something to do with the vibrations caused by the blades as they pass through the air seems to attract the critters right up to the heli, ages ago there was a thread detailing how a horse had run into the t/r of a landing heli, by all accounts quiet a mess,.......... and the Horse was mortally wounded!

Peter R-B
Vfr:eek:

birrddog
2nd Aug 2008, 15:33
www.lucknampark.co.uk

A few years since I've been there. Very nice spot, on the high end, though very cool.

They had horse riding and a variety of activities, and although I can't say for sure though I recall you could land there. They have enough space for it anyway.

Big hit with the missus.

Remember the Jacket and tie though!

--
JB

Farmer 1
2nd Aug 2008, 15:34
Helicopters should not ever be within 1Km of live horse's(sic)

Not necessarily so. I've operated into a number of landing sites with horses just the other side of a fence. Didn't bother them in the slightest.

Could be the way I fly, I suppose.

VeeAny
2nd Aug 2008, 15:47
I'll second bird dogs suggestion , we used to use Lucknam Park quite a lot, huge easy site to get in and out of, riding stables on site. and both helicopter and horse friendly.

Not cheap though.

GS

airborne_artist
2nd Aug 2008, 17:31
Any seen the horses that live under the approach to Benson's 19? They don't mind a bit. Mine don't mind either, and we live about 4m SW of Benson.

What they don't like is anything (airborne or not) that comes at them fast and loud without warning. A pheasant flying out of a hedge is just as spooky as a Chinook at 50' AGL popping up over the same hedge.

A conventional approach to land will give them plenty of time to hear it, see it and not be frightened.

NWSRG
2nd Aug 2008, 17:36
Lovely little airfield with friendly, helpful staff in the middle of Northern Ireland's lakes...

Nice hotels, and plenty of horse-riding nearby!

206 jock
2nd Aug 2008, 17:48
This guy who owns Burnham thrope airstrip owns this place, it's in walking distance

Whitehall Farm Home (http://www.whitehallfarm-accommodation.com/html/MainPage.htm)

If Mrs Ed wants to take her own nag, it's very good riding allegedly, cantering/galloping* through the surf does sound like it could be fun

* not sure of the difference

Daysleeper
2nd Aug 2008, 20:59
There is loads of horsy type stuff around Dunkeswell in Devon.

While I don't have any Horse knowledge the ones on short final seem quite happy to go on eating grass while we trundle by a few tens of feet over their heads.

Some race training type places around and I often see groups out riding near the field.

This is what equine tourism (http://www.equinetourism.co.uk/editorial/blackdownhills.asp) has to say about the surrounding area.

PO dust devil
3rd Aug 2008, 01:12
I am with farmer 1........I used to land in our place close to our thoroughbreds and a kids pony in a medium twin....If you do it right you'll have to make sure that they don't get curious and rub or bite along the paint work....nibbling teeth make a mess of aviation metal sheet.

It was more annoying when neighbours called over for the chance to have a look at the machine close up. Interruptions to morning tea doing the PR thing...yeesh.

The thing with flying around equine habitat is to minimise the harsh maneouvres, slap and give them a chance to have a look at you to decide whether it's a threat or not. Everything slowly and as though you are supposed to be there. Bit like flying EMS I suppose.

I guess the fast noisy flyovers where you pop out from behind trees or a ridgeline by surprise, could be a problem. If you're visiting friends with horses, get them to throw a couple of biscuits of hay out to keep the ponies out of the way & busy. Do it that way and the ponies will associate you with reward of food. Then you'll be right. Neighbours ......that's another story.:ok:

Gordy
3rd Aug 2008, 05:25
I'm with farmer---they are not a problem:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/LaFonda/sc6.jpg

scooter boy
3rd Aug 2008, 07:49
Why not try Bovey Castle in Devon, beautiful spot with helipad and horses available for riding. They give you the full 5 star treatment - v attentive esp if you come in by air.

As previously stated horses are no problem - they get used to the sound of the helo pretty quickly - ours don't turn a hair any more.

Best of luck,
SB

madman1145
3rd Aug 2008, 21:52
Both having been a horse rider my entire childhood and now a heli rider, I can just say the same as many others. Horses are no issue ..

What they are scared of is the unknown they can't see nor hear that suddenly react near them. Let them know you are there in advance, and they will usually be just fine ..
If it's windy, you might see them run around, not necessarily because of you, but because of the weather. They tend to be "frisky" in windy weather. Anything is scary in windy weather for them, even a 3000 year old dead stone can in their imagination suddenly come alive. I call them "killerstones" ..

And if Mrs. Ed fancy horseriding in southern Spain, I know of a very good place that offer weekly treks - don't know if you can land a chopper nearby though, but can't hurt to ask ..

- madman

PO dust devil
3rd Aug 2008, 22:19
Don't forget the horse eating plastic bag waiting for a hapless victim to go past.

topendtorque
4th Aug 2008, 11:43
Noise of course is a concern, however, Never, but NEVER run your shadow anywhere near a mounted horse. It is no matter whether it is bomb proof or not, the horse I mean.
I have seen horses buck and kick right over on their side from flat gallop when accosted by the 'shadow'.

That is not unless you can fight a bit, or your blood is up with a bloody belligerant stockman who is just NOT looking for directions.

airborne_artist
4th Aug 2008, 13:06
cantering/galloping...not sure of the difference

Cantering is three-time, galloping four-time. Walk is also four-time, and trot is two-time :ok:

johned0
5th Aug 2008, 16:27
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice.

I am off to check out the web sites.

Cheers,

John

PS 206 jock - I called Whitehall Farm and unfortunately they don't have horses to rent. Mr.s Ed can take her own but I haven't done a vertical reference course so won't be able to sling load the old nag ;)

RavenII
5th Aug 2008, 16:43
It's not in the UK, but the Monart Spa in Ireland would be a nice adress!!

I've been there in January, excellent location, and they have stables, so i guess they have horses, too.

EESDL
5th Aug 2008, 17:05
It's a Von essen hotel so is use to choppers flying in and out.
large stables/facilities etc.
New park manor Hotel
01590 623467

we used it for Goodwood Revival and ended up flying in and out all times of day and night with no problems - they coord horse movements with you directly